C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Car won't start after clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 01:58 PM
ClaudioC4
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Car won't start after clutch replacement

I just got a call from the transmission place that replaced the clutch on my 85 (no VATS). He says that he cannot get the car to start. He has jumped the clutch safety switch with no luck. The car will start if he jumps the starter and the ignition switch seems to be working. He has checked the fusible links but is stumped. Any thoughts???
Old 07-14-2016, 03:15 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaudioC4
I just got a call from the transmission place that replaced the clutch on my 85 (no VATS). He says that he cannot get the car to start. He has jumped the clutch safety switch with no luck. The car will start if he jumps the starter and the ignition switch seems to be working. He has checked the fusible links but is stumped. Any thoughts???

What kind of clutch did they replace it with? Did they use the same FW? Could be a clearance issue.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM
ClaudioC4
Racer

McLeod 75225, they did use the same flywheel. They also replaced the Master and slave clutch cylinders.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:02 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

McLeod 75225, they did use the same flywheel. They also replaced the Master and slave clutch cylinders.
OK,

Well if they used the same FW, there should not be a clearance issue. However, it does sound like a clutch safety switch issue. Sounds like, but I don't know.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:36 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

There is not much that while doing a clutch would cause it. I would look for something that was done while doing the clutch. The starter needs to come off during a clutch change, so it is something to look at.

If he jumps the starter and it works, my guess is that he did not hook up the wires to the starter correctly.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:54 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by QCVette
There is not much that while doing a clutch would cause it. I would look for something that was done while doing the clutch. The starter needs to come off during a clutch change, so it is something to look at.

If he jumps the starter and it works, my guess is that he did not hook up the wires to the starter correctly.

Good luck.
Good point! Hopefully it's a reputable shop and know what they are doing.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:12 AM
ClaudioC4
Racer

Got my car back yesterday, I was told that there was a secondary switch behind the master cylinder that failed. This caused the clutch safety switch to test fine but the car not start. They bypassed that "switch" and now the car starts. I looked up and down my service manual and did not see a switch.

Now, my interior courtesy lights do not come on when the door opens, my door hatch release switches do not work, and my power antenna does not work. I will fix these issues myself, hopefully I can find the root of the problem. But at least I can start my car and the McLeod clutch feels awesome!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:36 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Got my car back yesterday, I was told that there was a secondary switch behind the master cylinder that failed. This caused the clutch safety switch to test fine but the car not start. They bypassed that "switch" and now the car starts. I looked up and down my service manual and did not see a switch.

Now, my interior courtesy lights do not come on when the door opens, my door hatch release switches do not work, and my power antenna does not work. I will fix these issues myself, hopefully I can find the root of the problem. But at least I can start my car and the McLeod clutch feels awesome!
Seems like this shop did something to the wiring on your car, unrelated issues to the clutch job though...odd
Old 07-22-2016, 04:51 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

There are no "secondary switches" behind the master cylinder. There are fusable links however. If they grounded one of the hot wires, it could have blown a fusable link. Bypassing it is not a good idea, it needs to be replaced. As far as the interir lights and rear hatch release not working, that sounds like a fuse. Check the fuse panel.

Last edited by 383vett; 07-22-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:32 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Check the CTSY/CLK fuse. That's the one that powers a lot of stuff when the ignition is not on, like the cigarette lighter and the interior lights.

Note that all the engine and dash and ECM grounds attach to the upper left (driver's side) bell housing bolt. It's a special bolt/stud just for these grounds. Since they took the bell housing off to change the clutch they might not have gotten all the grounds reconnected.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:56 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

OP - your car doesn't have the battery "jump block" so fusible links I'd say are suspect. Do you have an FSM for your car? Do you have a test light? I'd go through the IP fuse block and confirm what is powered and when. There are some that should be at all times, some at only key-on.

The shops comment maybe hints that's what they found and maybe didn't understand the terminology! MAYBE!

I believe there's 3 fusible links from the starter solenoid itself and a total of maybe 7 on the car. I wouldn't just start haphazardly/randomly poking around.

No FSM - maybe consider a buy!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-23-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:56 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Maybe a silly question, but does an 85 have the same 'clutch safety' switch on the clutch pedal as an 86? It's near the top of the pivot on the clutch and won't engage the starter unless the clutch is depressed and the switch is working.
Had mine not start after having the master and slave replaced on mine and it turned out to be that switch. Jumpered the switch and all is well except for being able to engage the starter without depressing the clutch.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:05 AM
ClaudioC4
Racer

I hope to get time this week to check out the links I do have the FSM and an Electrical Engineering Degree, but those electrical diagrams are still foreign to me. I will figure this out!

Get notified of new replies

To Car won't start after clutch replacement

Quick Reply: Car won't start after clutch replacement