C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Corvette Parking Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 11:21 PM
MetalPilot
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Corvette Parking Brake Problem

The parking brake on my '85 corvette is incapable of holding the car on an incline, or at all for that matter.

I tried adjusting the shoes outward to make them hold, but that only resulted in the shoes continually dragging. My guess is that the shoes are too worn and need to be replaced (how does that even happen... used car problems). That or there is some other problem that i'm not thinking of. Came here hoping someone could help me shed some light on the problem so it can be resolved.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:00 AM
brushmor
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Interested in hearing the fix for this because on my 85 the parking break works OK on level surfaces and if I park downhill but does no good at parking uphill.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:09 PM
MetalPilot
8th Gear

Just a small update, I have confirmed that the issue must lie with the shoes. With the rear wheels off the ground, pulling the handle back does tighten up the rears enough that I can't rotate them, but its just not enough to hold the car's weight.

I have purchased some new shoes online and will begin the installation process in about a week.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:49 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Brake pads can age and glaze over too. I've seen good looking old brake shoes not hold and I assume yours has the drum brake pad type parking brake.

Last edited by hcbph; 07-23-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:42 PM
MetalPilot
8th Gear

Originally Posted by hcbph
Brake pads can age and glaze over too. I've seen good looking old brake shoes not hold and I assume yours has the drum brake pad type parking brake.
Yes you are correct the '85 uses the drum parking brake. I just found it strange that the shoes could get worn unless the PO was driving around with the parking brake. I guess it could be an age issue as well that has caused them to be unable to hold.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette Parking Brake Problem

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette Parking Brake Problem