C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

dash wiring nightmare!

Old 07-18-2016, 12:24 PM
hseesesr
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dash wiring nightmare!

I have a 1992 coupe 6 speed C68 HVAC. It was stolen and dash wiring was bypassed in different spots. Acquired a used harness but it did not have C68 HVAC it had C60 HVAC. Need to know if i can use a 1990
6 speed C68 HVAC harness. Please help me out with some suggestions. I'm at my wits end.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:04 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by hseesesr
I have a 1992 coupe 6 speed C68 HVAC. It was stolen and dash wiring was bypassed in different spots. Acquired a used harness but it did not have C68 HVAC it had C60 HVAC. Need to know if i can use a 1990
6 speed C68 HVAC harness. Please help me out with some suggestions. I'm at my wits end.
You need a correct harness, '92 was very different from the '90 you've located. The IP harness needs to match the M6, the C68 AC and if the car was a T61 (Daytime running) that needs to be present also. A very talented person could "maybe" accomplish it with a '93 BUT I'd say the '92 correct for most of us.

In how many areas was the harness tampered with? If it's out and on the ground maybe. Was it just whacked to enable the crank/run?
Old 07-18-2016, 03:19 PM
hseesesr
8th Gear

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You need a correct harness, '92 was very different from the '90 you've located. The IP harness needs to match the M6, the C68 AC and if the car was a T61 (Daytime running) that needs to be present also. A very talented person could "maybe" accomplish it with a '93 BUT I'd say the '92 correct for most of us.

In how many areas was the harness tampered with? If it's out and on the ground maybe. Was it just whacked to enable the crank/run?
thanks yes crank and run were disabled maybe i should side by side them and replace wires that were tampered with.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:42 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hseesesr
thanks yes crank and run were disabled maybe i should side by side them and replace wires that were tampered with.
Do you have an FSM for the car?

It might be good to have if you're attempting this sort of repair. The normally "whacked" to enable forced crank/run should be repairable I'd think using maybe connectors from the one you have and some very nice splices.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:05 PM
hseesesr
8th Gear

thanks for all the advice will do side by side.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:15 PM
hseesesr
8th Gear

ok so i replaced all the hacked wiring and connectors and the whole harnes is complete. not a single loose wiring without a connection or a connector on it. so now when i turn the key the car cranks right over using the vats setup all connected and nothing bypassed.
but it will not fire! it will just crank. there is no fuel the fuel pump is not turning on? and there is no power to the cigarete lighter circuit ok, but if: I JUMP 12VOLTS STRAIGHT TO THE CIGARETE LIGHTER THE CAR WILL THEN START RIGHT UP LIKE IT SHOULD AND IF I HIT THE THROTTLE IT WILL RUN PERFECT OK. IT WONT MISS A BEAT? BUT IF I TAKE MY FOOT OFF THE THROTTLE IT WILL DIE??????? BUT AS LONG AS I BUMP THE THROTTLE SOME IT WILL STAY RUNNING??? AND THAT IS WHERE IM AT AND IM NOT SURE WHATS GOING ON ? IT DID THIS SAME THING BEFORE I REPAIR THE HARNESS EXCEPT BEFORE I HAD TO BYPASS THE KEY WITH RESISTORS FOR THE CAR TO CRANK. SO I FIXED THAT PART FOR SURE BUT IT STILL STARTS RUNS FOR A COUPLE SECONDS THEN DIES??????? PLEASE HELP JUST POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION IF YOU CAN THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:18 PM
hseesesr
8th Gear

And just so you know this is a differant ecm and prom than when i first started all this because the other one wasnt the right one or the right prom but it is now number matched could that be the stalling problem or the fuel problem does it need to be reprogramed or relearned to the car maybe?
Old 07-23-2016, 05:19 PM
hseesesr
8th Gear

Ecm: 16159278 with lt1 6 speed prom
Old 07-23-2016, 09:46 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Look below and behind the battery. You should see a bunch of fusible links. Link A as shown in the diagram is either blown or is not making good contact with the stud that secures all of the fusible links together.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:44 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Having a spare harness you very likely have multiple spare relays also. Maybe you just swap the FP relay, check the jump-block and links as HOV suggested. FP relay for a '92 is under RH side of dash I believe, if you removed the complete IP harness you're likely familiar with the location.

You never mentioned having the FSM. Do you?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:41 AM
hseesesr
8th Gear

yes i do have an FSM checking fusible link will get back to you.

Get notified of new replies

To dash wiring nightmare!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dash wiring nightmare!