C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Long tube TPIS Headers on automatic trans C4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 12:13 AM
94 Lt1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long tube TPIS Headers on automatic trans C4?

Any one using TPIS long tube headers on a C4 auto? I have an Lt1 and I have not heard good things about Long tubes and cats on auto cars. Any one have first hand experience? Please tell me how you made them fit and if you are happy with them. Have heard go with a Y to a single 3" cat, this sounds like defeating the purpose of a better flowing exhaust. I have cat backs and am tempted to stay with the stock manifolds as I have heard shorties are almost no improvement over stock manifolds. I am building a 383. Thanks for your experiences.

q
Old 09-11-2002, 12:19 AM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Long tube TPIS Headers on automatic trans C4? (94 Lt1)

Any one using TPIS long tube headers on a C4 auto? I have an Lt1 and I have not heard good things about Long tubes and cats on auto cars. Any one have first hand experience? Please tell me how you made them fit and if you are happy with them. Have heard go with a Y to a single 3" cat, this sounds like defeating the purpose of a better flowing exhaust. I have cat backs and am tempted to stay with the stock manifolds as I have heard shorties are almost no improvement over stock manifolds. I am building a 383. Thanks for your experiences.q
They work just fine on the 89 L98. There were your typical aftermarket fitmet issues. Nothing that power tools couldn't fix. Other than that, they work great. Cat is a Random Tech unit feeding Power Effects exhaust.

Ron
Old 09-11-2002, 12:35 AM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default Re: Long tube TPIS Headers on automatic trans C4? (RonRed89)

Every time I've seen this question asked, people write that the bulk of the 4L60 transmission makes the installation of long tubes nightmarish to impossible. Apparently the 4L60 is significantly wider than the ZF 6-speed and the 4+3.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:30 AM
94 Lt1
Advanced

Default Re: Long tube TPIS Headers on automatic trans C4? (Matt Black)

It looks very cramped and the solution seems to be to put one cat in the tunnel beneath the console. Also any thoughts as to power as a result of going back into one 3" pipe with one converter vs stock manifolds with two converters going into x pipe in tunnel. Same straight through exhaust used on both systems. How many horses will actualy be lost. I believe from 20 to 30 on a six speed with headers and two cats but what about an auto with one 3" cat. Am also wondering how much hotter the console will be. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Long tube TPIS Headers on automatic trans C4?

Quick Reply: Long tube TPIS Headers on automatic trans C4?