C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hurst short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 12:35 AM
Heckler45
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hurst short throw shifter

Let me begin by saying I have no affiliation with Hurst or any other company in the auto or parts industry.

That being said, I have had a Hurst short throw shifter for my '94 for 5-6 years now and just decided to put it in yesterday. WOW! I can't believe what a difference it makes. Not just in the shortening of the throw but the overall feel of shifting and driving. This should have been installed at the factory. I feel I have robbed myself having not installed this when I bought it years ago. From now on I have to remember to install things when I get 'em.

Had to share this it was that big of a difference IMO. Also for those who have thought about it and not done it due to info stating it may be hard to install, it was not. It was not the simplest job I've done on my Vette, but not the hardest by far. Figure a half day worst case due to removal of interior trim and jacking it up to remove exhaust.

Moral of the story is, don't be like me and wait due to horror stories of others on the web. install those parts now and enjoy!! For God's sake life is too short. Pun intended.
The following users liked this post:
THE 383 admiral (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 06:49 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Hurst shifter may be my favorite mod!
Old 07-21-2016, 10:24 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

My 86 had a Tremec tranny change done to it along with a Hurst shifter prior to my purchasing it. Shifter works great, making it a joy to drive and run through the gears.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:41 AM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Heckler45
Let me begin by saying I have no affiliation with Hurst or any other company in the auto or parts industry.

That being said, I have had a Hurst short throw shifter for my '94 for 5-6 years now and just decided to put it in yesterday. WOW! I can't believe what a difference it makes. Not just in the shortening of the throw but the overall feel of shifting and driving. This should have been installed at the factory. I feel I have robbed myself having not installed this when I bought it years ago. From now on I have to remember to install things when I get 'em.

Had to share this it was that big of a difference IMO. Also for those who have thought about it and not done it due to info stating it may be hard to install, it was not. It was not the simplest job I've done on my Vette, but not the hardest by far. Figure a half day worst case due to removal of interior trim and jacking it up to remove exhaust.

Moral of the story is, don't be like me and wait due to horror stories of others on the web. install those parts now and enjoy!! For God's sake life is too short. Pun intended.
Agreed. this Hurst, short throw. should be. a day one mod. I also cut off 1" and extended the threads.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:29 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
Agreed. this Hurst, short throw. should be. a day one mod. I also cut off 1" and extended the threads.
I don't know if he still makes/sells them, but ZFDoc made a unit with even more modification than the Hurst. The statement above is similar to what he does....(a bit shorter AND a bit more throw underneath). I'm sure both options are vastly superior than stock!

I have the ZFDoc unit (later design) and agree with the OP. A short-throw shifter is so good I feel BAD for people running manual C4's w/o this mod! It feels like GM cheated the original buyers in this regard.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 07-21-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:29 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Have had one for years w a delrin ****, great setup w the ZF6. I wish my C5Z w C6Z sifter was as good.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:17 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Does the hurst work with the original boot?
Old 07-23-2016, 02:19 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by scotth48
Does the hurst work with the original boot?
Yes

Old 08-05-2016, 06:12 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know the Bill Boudreaux short shifter and how it compares with the Hurst shifter? Someone pretty knowledgeable said I should go with Boudreaux's shifter over the Hurst.

Gordon
Old 08-05-2016, 08:13 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by gmonsen
Does anyone know the Bill Boudreaux short shifter and how it compares with the Hurst shifter? Someone pretty knowledgeable said I should go with Boudreaux's shifter over the Hurst.

Gordon
Way better than the Hurst. The stock shifter gets shortened but retains the vibration dampening material n the stock shifter stalk; For a few dollars more you can unbolt the whole shifter assembly from the end of the transmission and Bill will rebuild the whole assembly for you, which includes a bunch of small parts.

The Hurst is a steel rod. That's it.

No comparison; call Bill or go on his website.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:15 AM
gmonsen
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Got it. Went to his website and he makes a real short shifter that changes the lengths above and below the fulcrum whereas the Hurst is just shorter above the fulcrum. Thanks.

G
Old 08-06-2016, 12:13 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by gmonsen
Got it. Went to his website and he makes a real short shifter that changes the lengths above and below the fulcrum whereas the Hurst is just shorter above the fulcrum. Thanks.

G
I have absolutely nothing against the ZFDoc shifter, I've heard nothing but good feedback on his. But, actually the Hurst does lengthen the distance below the fulcrum as well. I have the Hurst in mine and your statement got me to wondering so I went digging on the web. This page contains a good explanation of the specs and there's a picture about 2/3 of the way down comparing the two that clearly shows the difference.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...n-shifter.html

I also came across a blog post that I found interesting reading, he mentions a Corvette forum so maybe this is a member here?

http://pfautsch.com/?p=970

Regardless, I don't think you can go wrong with either Bill or the Hurst.

Get notified of new replies

To Hurst short throw shifter

Quick Reply: Hurst short throw shifter