C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 corvette hood stuck

Old 07-21-2016, 12:05 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 85 corvette hood stuck

have 85 corvette with the previously mentioned cable release wires on both sides passernger side works with the cable release, drivers side use to work when i pulled the release handle under the dash and pushed down on the hoos, like a dummy i tightned the spring and nut it was loose now nada, its stuck on the drivers side, latch release cable relases but the hood feels like its bolted down...any ideas
Old 07-21-2016, 12:09 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,379 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by 85vegasvette
have 85 corvette with the previously mentioned cable release wires on both sides passernger side works with the cable release, drivers side use to work when i pulled the release handle under the dash and pushed down on the hoos, like a dummy i tightned the spring and nut it was loose now nada, its stuck on the drivers side, latch release cable relases but the hood feels like its bolted down...any ideas
Try having an assistant apply momentary downward pressure on the hood, directly atop the balky latch, while you're working the hood release. Hopefully, if you're working the release while they push down, when they let up on the pressure, the hood will pop free.

Live well,

SJW
Old 07-21-2016, 02:53 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,498 Likes on 3,585 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

This what I done!
Take coat hanger and grab the hook that you would hang it in closet, and take the coat hanger by the hook and crap the straight wire and pull.
Now make hook on the end, and lift the rubber seal with putty knife and slip it in to where you think the latch is and go fishing, you will feel when you got it and give it little pull and the latch will open.
I did this method on my C4, and friends when his cable broke.
Hope you know how to fish, cause it's like fishing and it works.

Last edited by 1bdvet; 07-21-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:14 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

yeah i have the little emergency cables, and the one corner is still on lockdown...Gm engineering must have been in miami when they where desgining the hood set up...thinking of hood pins if i ever get it open, i am sure a mechanic will charge me alot of $$$
Old 07-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

GM engineering must have been in Miami when they where designing the hood set up...
Have you cleaned and lubricated your hood latches? Have your hood latches given you any indication they were not operating smoothly? Does your hood normally pop up when you pull the hood release, or did you need to lift on the hood at the same time as you were pulling the hood release? These are all clues that you need to service your latches. Your car is 31 years old, and TLC is definitely required to keep things working smoothly. The latches in my '84 work just fine, so I'd say GM did an outstanding job on the design of my '84! I love the one piece clam-shell hood design!

Several of the aftermarket Corvette specialty stores sell an "L" shaped tool to help open stuck hoods. This tool slides in thru the door jamb area to pull on the release lever. If you are crafty, you can make your own. If you have a buddy with a C4, practice on his to see how this tool is supposed to work.

Some have had success by driving one front wheel of their Corvette up onto a curb, or jacking up one front wheel, to put a little twist on the hood. Good luck to you!

Old 07-21-2016, 07:17 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Default hood

I replace the small hood shocks in the front Lube the latches what new hood springs put them in that's when I started having issues but I would put the spring in by itself and I don't know hood and it popped right up
Old 07-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I replace the small hood shocks in the front Lube the latches what new hood springs put them in that's when I started having issues but I would put the spring in by itself and I don't know hood and it popped right up
Is that one sentence? I've read it ten times, but I don't think I understand what you're saying. I'm guessing you removed the mounting plates with the "dagger pins" in the hood. It's VERY important to get those pins aligned exactly to the center of the latches.

The best way I've found is to grease the cones of the latches, and to have the hood pins very clean. Block the latches open, so they won't snap closed on the hood pins. Set the hood down onto the latches, and look for where grease is transferred to the hood pins. Adjust the mounting plate of the hood pin until no grease is transferred to the pin. That's centering the pin in the latch!

Old 07-21-2016, 08:13 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Default hood

I replace the small hood shocks in the front Lube the latches , new hood springs, put them in that's when I started having issues but I would close it and it never ever just popped up when I pulled the dash latch, I used to have to push down on the driver side then pull up, no that doesn't even work
Old 07-21-2016, 08:14 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Is that one sentence? I've read it ten times, but I don't think I understand what you're saying. I'm guessing you removed the mounting plates with the "dagger pins" in the hood. It's VERY important to get those pins aligned exactly to the center of the latches.

The best way I've found is to grease the cones of the latches, and to have the hood pins very clean. Block the latches open, so they won't snap closed on the hood pins. Set the hood down onto the latches, and look for where grease is transferred to the hood pins. Adjust the mounting plate of the hood pin until no grease is transferred to the pin. That's centering the pin in the latch!

Talking and texting on a android doesn't work to well..lok

Get notified of new replies

To 85 corvette hood stuck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 85 corvette hood stuck