C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tune up

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 02:08 PM
Klgrayson
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tune up

Fellas need some advice about to take my 84 in for a major tune up,should I take it to my local mechanic or to a speed shop. Have had people tell me that tunning up a crossfire calls for a person with skills. If anyone has some good advice please feel free to give me a hollar . Hope to hear from some one soon
Old 07-21-2016, 02:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Cap, plugs and rotor, you should be able to do. You can also check for plug wire leaks or if you feel they are old enough, replace the set. Check for a blue flame at the spark plug end. Change Power Steering fluid you can DIY. Changing trans and rear end, I'd bring to a shop.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Klgrayson
Instructor

Originally Posted by aklim
Cap, plugs and rotor, you should be able to do. You can also check for plug wire leaks or if you feel they are old enough, replace the set. Check for a blue flame at the spark plug end. Change Power Steering fluid you can DIY. Changing trans and rear end, I'd bring to a shop.
Someone told me that the plugs should be torque down do you know if that is true if so why
Old 07-21-2016, 05:06 PM
Klgrayson
Instructor

Originally Posted by aklim
One more thing I notice that when Idling the Tach is like chasing itself,when driving the car and coming to a stand still the idling is a 7 then it will do to a 5,it will catch itself go up to a 7 or 8 quickly causing the car to want to ease forward
Old 07-21-2016, 05:09 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I've always done snug then 1/4 turn but it should be about 20 ft lbs.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:28 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Klgrayson
Fellas need some advice about to take my 84 in for a major tune up,should I take it to my local mechanic or to a speed shop. Have had people tell me that tunning up a crossfire calls for a person with skills. If anyone has some good advice please feel free to give me a hollar . Hope to hear from some one soon
If they don't know CFI (TBI) don't let them touch your TBs. Other than that, it's a 350 is a 350. Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Tune up

Quick Reply: Tune up