C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 04:41 PM
joeljet
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default gas gauge

so I've put 6 or so tanks of gas in my new 96 LT4 CE and I've noticed, 1st tank, day 2, I passed a gas station with 4 bars on the gauge and it starts sputtering turned around and put 18.5 gallons in it. yesterday it read 1/2 full filled it up with 15.2 gallons. I will just start filling it up with the gauge reading 1/2 now. i'm wondering is this normal? is it a quick fix? do I need a new transmitter? anyone else run into this? thanx joel

Last edited by joeljet; 07-21-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:00 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by joeljet
so I've put 6 or so tanks of gas in my new 96 LT4 CE and I've noticed, 1st tank, day 2, I passed a gas station with 4 bars on the gauge and it starts sputtering turned around and put 18.5 gallons in it. yesterday it read 1/2 full filled it up with 15.2 gallons. I will just start filling it up with the gauge reading 1/2 now. i'm wondering is this normal? is it a quick fix? do I need a new transmitter? anyone else run into this? thanx joel
Hi
The sender float arm may have been bent out of shape, showing 4 bars when empty.
you will need to remove the sender/fuel pump assembly from the gas tank and adjust the float rod, adjust it so the float is slightly higher that should do the trick.

Or buy a new sender unit?

My fuel gauge will go down to show empty before I run out of fuel, check the gas tank for any deforming that may catch the float.
I had my tank collapse inwards near the float and would not go below half a tank because of this, I pressed it back out with a piece of wood and blew the lines clear has been fine since. Just another thing to look out for.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:03 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine was showing 2 bars and when I filled it it still had about 7.5 gallons in it. Will let it go down to 0 bars and fill it and see what happens, hopefully won't run out.

I also wonder about enlarging the hole on the tube of filler neck to let more air in the tank when filling so you don't have to keep the fuel nozzle from kicking off when gets near full.

Get notified of new replies

To gas gauge

Quick Reply: gas gauge