C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight won't open

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 04:39 PM
Tonybb
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight won't open

On my 86 coupe, passenger side headlight would not pop up when I purchased the car from GM dealer in 2013. They replaced the motor. Now after approx 3 years , one day driver side won't open (light bulb lights up though). Is it a bad motor or something simple, how do I figure this out ?
Old 07-22-2016, 04:42 PM
Tonybb
Cruising

I don't mind driving with headlights not popping out, as I drive during the day mainly, but when I turned the headlight on over the weekend,the drive side moved half way and is stuck in that position, doesn't look good to drive like that :-(
Old 07-23-2016, 12:25 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

There is a set of gears in there that could go bad. Especially if it turns part way but doesn't complete the rotation. Does the motor carry on after it quits turning or not? There is a **** IIRC on it that allows you to 'turn' the headlight assembly further, might be worth a test to see if it will turn further, might just be an adjustment.

This is all based on whether it ever worked or not. If it worked correctly at one time, I'd guess either the gears or the limiter is out of adjustment somehow.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:18 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

The '84-'87 headlight motors have limit switches inside the motors which can get dirty. This will cause the problems you are seeing. It's not too hard to open up the motors to clean the contacts of these limit switches. While the motor is open, apply some light weight white grease to the bearings of the motor armature.
These limit switches are actuated when the armature shifts up or down in its bearings when the worm gear pushes against the mating pinion gear when the headlight door hits its stops.
There are several posts about doing this repair, and should be available with an advanced "search".
The '88-'94 headlight motors are entirely different.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Stellabarbara
Stellabarbara
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C4 of Year Finalist
Default 1990 headlights won't open completely

I have looked in the forum for the same issue and don't see one that can help, so here goes.
My 1990 headlights will not open completely. They are winking at the ground. I can hand open them, but then they start winking at the ground again. I hear both motors working when I turn the lights on and off.. Don't know why? Help
Old 08-09-2016, 08:56 AM
puufgone
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Stellabarbara, If your 90 is the same as my 88, It has plastic gears inside the motors that have teeth missing. MidAmerica, Ecklers and I'm sure others have brass replacement kits that are pretty easy to install. I did mine probably 15 years ago and they still work great.

David
Old 09-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Tonybb
Cruising

I manually spun the ****, it takes forever, but worked and now the headlights are closed. I am able to drive it w/o looking odd. I will eventually get the left motor replaced, as there is no sign of life in this. Thanks for the guidance.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:49 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Stellabarbara
I have looked in the forum for the same issue and don't see one that can help, so here goes.
My 1990 headlights will not open completely.
Stellabarbara, by the time you posted this, you should have known that your '90 is much different than the OP's '86. It get's really confusing when two different issues are scrambled together, as the answers won't have anything to do with each other. Please start a new post for your question. Even better, this question has been asked many times, so try the ADVANCED SEARCH if your initial search didn't give you an answer. Click on the C4 filter to focus on your problem.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:38 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Stellabarbara
My 1990 headlights will not open completely. They are winking at the ground. I can hand open them, but then they start winking at the ground again. I hear both motors working when I turn the lights on and off.. Don't know why? Help
Go to auto zone and get part number 74410 from the help section 3 per pack 1 pack needed per side. Then look on youtube for the video to fix. The Rod could have typed less and helped more. Do not use metal gears.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 09-07-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight won't open

Quick Reply: Headlight won't open