C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 c4 random issues idling surge

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 02:38 PM
Roustabout
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
If you flushed it without pulling the knocks you left a gallon of watered down crap in it. Dealers are worse uless you get one that has a old guy that knows.
I have not flush the system yet it looks so clean I never thought it was necessary. The water is just bright green. I have no problem flushing it if that is required. If they have a knock in stock maybe I should just flush replace my knock?

Last edited by Roustabout; 08-21-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:58 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Roustabout
I have not flush the system yet it looks so clean I never thought it was necessary. The water is just bright green. I have no problem flushing it if that is required. If they have a knock in stock maybe I should just flush replace my knock?
You have two knocks and someone has flushed it no telling if it was done right. But it did not come with green antifreeze but I have changed mine to it too. Are you loosening coolant BT has a point but have not heard anything from you that would suggest this. But if you get it to hot you will be doing a gasket replacement. If you pull your radiator like I think you should good time to drain and flush. Do not get your opti wet. Clean your ac coil too.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 08-21-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:16 PM
Roustabout
Intermediate

Losing no coolant. Now everything just stepped up took the car for a drive to the auto parts picked up A new thermostat. Ran fantastic . Let the engine cool I put Rags around the thermostat housing to make sure no water got on the Opti. Took the thermostat out with a new thermostat and went to start the car just cranks no fire
Old 08-21-2016, 04:25 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Losing no coolant. Now everything just stepped up took the car for a drive to the auto parts picked up A new thermostat. Ran fantastic . Let the engine cool I put Rags around the thermostat housing to make sure no water got on the Opti. Took the thermostat out with a new thermostat and went to start the car just cranks no fire
Did you drain some coolant before you opened it up? Put a fan on your opti now. Did you plug everything back right?

Last edited by antfarmer2; 08-21-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Roustabout
Intermediate

I drained and put Rags around . Everything's plugged in. I now have code 16
Old 08-21-2016, 05:16 PM
Roustabout
Intermediate

I'm thinking all the issues I was having with my optispark in the beginning. It just finally died took very bright flashlight out there no water I could see it all even close to the Opti. Everything was dry as a bone.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:43 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Start soaking the three bolts on the pully with pb blaster.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:00 PM
Roustabout
Intermediate

I think I'm going to take it into the shop and have done. I don't have the time right now with my life like it is to do the work myself. I got too much going on. Really didn't need this right now. Thank all you wonderful people so much for being patient with me and helping me.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:11 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I think I'm going to take it into the shop and have done. I don't have the time right now with my life like it is to do the work myself. I got too much going on. Really didn't need this right now. Thank all you wonderful people so much for being patient with me and helping me.
I would make time and save the 1,500 and put in new spark plugs and wires flush and clean. And take the wife out for a nice weekend than have some yahoo messing up my car.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Roustabout
Intermediate

I was not thinking it was going to be that kind of money. I'm going to call around get a few estimates and then make my decision about taking some time off work. Watching the video on YouTube it doesn't look like that major of a job just a pain in the butt
Old 08-21-2016, 06:50 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I was not thinking it was going to be that kind of money. I'm going to call around get a few estimates and then make my decision about taking some time off work. Watching the video on YouTube it doesn't look like that major of a job just a pain in the butt
Not that hard other than getting the pulley off. Loosen the power steering pump and you can slide it forward to get the wires in the hell hole. I can talk you through it. I would not take time off work to do it just do a bit a day so you do not grow to hate your car.. Start by pulling your radiator for a good cleaning.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:52 PM
Roustabout
Intermediate

Yes I'm going to get the radiator good cleaning. Got a friend coming over Wednesday he's done them before.
I may be asking a few questions as we go.
Soaking the bolts now on the pulley. Fingers crossed for easy change out. Changing water pump Opti wires and the spark plugs. Hope this takes care of all the issues

Last edited by Roustabout; 08-21-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:14 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Yes I'm going to get the radiator good cleaning. Got a friend coming over Wednesday he's done them before.
I may be asking a few questions as we go.
Soaking the bolts now on the pulley. Fingers crossed for easy change out. Changing water pump Opti wires and the spark plugs. Hope this takes care of all the issues
Get new seals for the opti and water pump and seal the bolts On the pump. The pulley will fall off 20 minutes after your arm does tap and turn hit from the under side with a one by or brass drift. Do not hit the outside of it.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:51 PM
Roustabout
Intermediate

Yes okay I knew I needed seals I have not ordered yet.
I'm going to do it right now before the auto parts closes
Old 08-22-2016, 05:59 AM
Roustabout
Intermediate

I ordered the lifetime warranty Duralast Opti. I found an old form in the Corvette forum from 2003 people said the there wasn't a good opti out there other than the GM stock. I found a few articles with people that have used a blast and they seem to be working. I asked here once before about the AutoZone Duralast and no one answered . is it like Chevy and Ford whatever you like is what is best. I can't afford the Delco. I'm doing the job Wednesday so I need to get everything taken care of tomorrow Monday before work.

Last edited by Roustabout; 08-22-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:28 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I ordered the lifetime warranty Duralast Opti. I found an old form in the Corvette forum from 2003 people said the there wasn't a good opti out there other than the GM stock. I found a few articles with people that have used a blast and they seem to be working. I asked here once before about the AutoZone Duralast and no one answered . is it like Chevy and Ford whatever you like is what is best. I can't afford the Delco. I'm doing the job Wednesday so I need to get everything taken care of tomorrow Monday before work.
Yes crap shoot on the opti. You can do all in one day with your friend if you get the pulley off before.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:14 PM
Roustabout
Intermediate

Well tomorrow Wednesday I'm doing the optispark. The gentleman I have coming to do it with me says he's done many in the past. So once I've done this one I guess I'll be able to do the next one by myself.
Picked up all the parts everything I ordered was lifetime. All new seals and everything. Hope this is not a problem down the road. Thank all you wonderful people for all your input and help you guys are number 1 in my book

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 c4 random issues idling surge

Old 08-23-2016, 07:22 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Well tomorrow Wednesday I'm doing the optispark. The gentleman I have coming to do it with me says he's done many in the past. So once I've done this one I guess I'll be able to do the next one by myself.
Picked up all the parts everything I ordered was lifetime. All new seals and everything. Hope this is not a problem down the road. Thank all you wonderful people for all your input and help you guys are number 1 in my book
Put antizies on the pulley for next time. If you don't have the seal tool for the water pump a sharpie top will work. Take the three bolts loose and beat on it and soak some more will save half a day tomorrow.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:45 PM
Roustabout
Intermediate

Good idea on the anti seize I will go out and buy some. Have everything soaking loosen with penetrating oil so hopefully goes easy.

Last edited by Roustabout; 08-24-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:48 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Good idea on the anti seize I will go out and buy some. Have everything soaking loosen the soap so hopefully goes easy.
Me too but wishful thinking.

Quick Reply: 1994 c4 random issues idling surge