C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Frustrating project today....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 07:16 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Frustrating project today....

so it was a nice rainy sunday, and thus i had some extra time, so i decided to work on my C4 today. Actually it was a 2for1 project...

1) pull the EGR pipe and re-wrap with high temp header pipe wrap. I had already replaced it once, with the aftermarket velcro wrap. And you know what happens to that....

2) while the pipe is off, remove one manifold bolt, that has been seeping oil up and making a small mess.

So i got the EGR pipe off fairly easily, i have had it off before, used new bolts on it, and soaked it the night before with Penetrant. So that was a win. Next i planned to pull the coolant bypass pipe, so i could get better access to the manifold bolt, which was the 2nd one in from the back. i sealed it once before, when i had the entire TPI all apart. But must be it needs lots of thread sealant. I hate oil leaks!

So for some reason i didnt think that i would lose much coolant, when i pulled off the pipe. Bad move! coolant just poured out of that manifold when i pulled the pipe! And of course it went all over, and i freaked out, not knowing what to do. so eventually i just screwed the coolant pipe back down, and decided i prolly should drain the coolant. but this was after i had a big mess, with green water all over the back of the engine, and onto my garage floor.

that was just a dumb-*** move, its not that hard to drain the coolant. So i did, and was able to continue on my project. The manifold bolt was a little trickey getting out, but i got it. Cleaned things up, and re-sealed the bolt. Then wrapped the EGR pipe up nice, and used metal ty's on it. I lost alot of coolant, so i gotta watch that as i run the engine.

i just wanted to vent off some steam. Now making a major mental lesson-learned. Any time i work on the cooling system, drain the coolant!
Old 07-31-2016, 07:38 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh the joys of a cooling system. -Good venting on your part, now its time to back away from the Vette and a beer or two.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:56 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 69mako
Oh the joys of a cooling system. -Good venting on your part, now its time to back away from the Vette and a beer or two.
Yup, hate working with cooling systems.....yuck! almost as bad as fuel lines. I will let her sit for a few days, then start it up. Gotta show saturday, and track day set for sunday, so gotta be ready1

Get notified of new replies

To Frustrating project today....

Quick Reply: Frustrating project today....