C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Corvette Saga - 72 hour battle with garage!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 07:51 PM
SELLC
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple92
Welcome to the C4 world !!!!

Nice work with the garage. It seems that there is some level of pack rat in all of us, and most of us have stuff in our garage that we should probably get rid of - but keep around "just in case". It's perfectly normal behavior for car guys....

Add me to the list of those who think the Ultrasonic pest repellers do seem to help. I can also say that years ago - I did have some decent luck with the glue traps placed along the floor where the mice seem to like running.

Good luck with the new toy. I'd recommend that when the weather turns a bit cooler that an afternoon or evening with a mild polish and a good paste or liquid wax applied afterwards will do wonders for your cars finish. Spray wax is probably better than nothing - but most us tend to look for something a bit more durable, and something that adds a bit more shine than spray wax. In an effort to avoid WWIII - I won't mention any specific brands - if you have an hour to kill when it's too hot to even think about being outside - there are a few specialty auto appearance retailers that have some very good advise on their websites.

ENJOY !!!
I don't want to start WWIII, but what do you guys think is the best wax?

I've used Mothers, McGuire's and even turtle wax in my younger years. The spray wax I been using (McGuire's) only last a few days, maybe longer if in the garage. It beads up water VERY good though.

Defiantly interested in a deeper, longer lasting shine. I really don't seem to mind rubbing on this car.. I can't even sleep good unless I know it's spotless in it's little cave. I just don't know what to say, I love this car just as much as I did back in 1984-1996 when I read every car magazine write up about them. I thought maybe the love would fade, just because it was new, but it's only getting stronger!
Old 08-21-2016, 10:01 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you don't plan on driving your Vette more than 5000 miles a year Collector car insurance is cheaper.You get full coverage and an agreed upon value for your Vette.Mine is rally cheap and is a good company.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:11 PM
SELLC
Instructor

Originally Posted by steven mack
If you don't plan on driving your Vette more than 5000 miles a year Collector car insurance is cheaper.You get full coverage and an agreed upon value for your Vette.Mine is rally cheap and is a good company.
Yes this is what I have been hearing, however in order to qualify for that kind of insurance you have to have another vehicle insured as your daily driver. Right now I am only insuring the Corvette, but clearly this is not the way to insure a Corvette. I know for a fact there is no way I am going to crack 5000 miles this year or even next year for that matter. Of course when I first got the car, I did drive it a lot. I'd literally drive just to be driving! lol
Old 08-22-2016, 09:52 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by SELLC
I don't want to start WWIII, but what do you guys think is the best wax?

I've used Mothers, McGuire's and even turtle wax in my younger years. The spray wax I been using (McGuire's) only last a few days, maybe longer if in the garage. It beads up water VERY good though.

Defiantly interested in a deeper, longer lasting shine. I really don't seem to mind rubbing on this car.. I can't even sleep good unless I know it's spotless in it's little cave. I just don't know what to say, I love this car just as much as I did back in 1984-1996 when I read every car magazine write up about them. I thought maybe the love would fade, just because it was new, but it's only getting stronger!
I have never waxed my torch red '94 ragtop in 12 years of ownership. The paint looks stunning. The car draws compliments every time I take it anywhere. It is nearly always garaged when not in use, and I use only Mothers Showtime spray detailer after a wash. Try it. I think you'll be pleased. I've found nothing better.

Live well,

SJW
Old 08-22-2016, 05:31 PM
SELLC
Instructor

Originally Posted by SJW
I have never waxed my torch red '94 ragtop in 12 years of ownership. The paint looks stunning. The car draws compliments every time I take it anywhere. It is nearly always garaged when not in use, and I use only Mothers Showtime spray detailer after a wash. Try it. I think you'll be pleased. I've found nothing better.

Live well,

SJW
I'm going to have to give that Mothers another go, I got the other stuff because that's all they had the night I went shopping for all the cleaning and detailing stuff.

Things must be different in Maryland, because around here, if it's not another Corvette owner, people look at you like they want to key it! lol I've driven many different kinds of cars and none draw the kind of stare of disdain like a Corvette (at least from the guys). The women always give a smile.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:57 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by SELLC
I'm going to have to give that Mothers another go, I got the other stuff because that's all they had the night I went shopping for all the cleaning and detailing stuff.

Things must be different in Maryland, because around here, if it's not another Corvette owner, people look at you like they want to key it! lol I've driven many different kinds of cars and none draw the kind of stare of disdain like a Corvette (at least from the guys). The women always give a smile.
Lol, i have gotten that from a guy here and there...

One time i had a guy in a minivan give me a nasty crusty 2 seconds before he decided he was going to try and run me off of the road.

I once had a kid driving a jetta pull up to the side of me and gave me a disapproving look and rolled his eyes. I laughed and revved my engine.

Most recently i have some crazy guy in a white honda civic from the early 90's that likes to try and cause a wreck, i can see him coming from a mile away and he can't keep up with me... Lol

Mostly it's positive feedback, only a small amount of crazies...
The following users liked this post:
SELLC (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

As far as waxes / sealants etc. go - I've tried a number and have positive things to say about most all.

Seriously though - spend a little time at Autogeek and watch a few of their detailing videos. A good washing with something that will remove the existing wax, (maybe a claying), then going over the car with a Dual Action (DA) Buffer and a Swirl Remover / Cleaner, and finally, going over with a good wax or sealer will make the car look great. There are more aggressive compounds out there if you have more serious defects to deal with - but with a DA machine, a relatively gentle foam pad and something like a Swirl Remover or mild polish - you'd have to work pretty darn hard to really "hurt" the finish (unlike 15 years ago - where if a novice used a rotary buffer and a wool pad - carnage was likely) - ....

At the risk of starting a 500 post thread - Personally - I tend to think that the Polymer Sealants give a bit better durability and the waxes tend to give a bit better gloss, but there are lots of people who will disagree with that. To me - that's a great thing - that there are a number of products out there that people have used and can recommend. I tend to go with the Meguiars "Mirror Gloss" line, but some people here swear by Mothers, others are in love with Pinnacle line and there is a Zymol contingent as well. Pick one of those or try something else... The only real way to tell is to try something and see what you think! When you see a car at a show or somewhere else that looks stunning, ask the owner what they use... Maybe give that a try and see which YOU THINK works better. I really do believe that pretty much any of the "top line" waxes / sealants are FAR better than not putting something on the car...

The only think I'll recommend against is asking the guys at the big volume detail shops what they use. Many of those shops don't get a whole lot of time with the car - so they tend to use a combination polish / finish, and while I have limited experience with that combo stuff - I do not believe it works as well as an individual "cleaner" followed by a sealant/wax.
The following users liked this post:
SELLC (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 11:07 PM
SELLC
Instructor

Right now I'm using Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax w/ Hydrophobic Polymer Technology. lol

Claims to be "State of the Art in spray waxes" and "Won't whiten on plastic or trim".

Here is what I have found after using a bottle, as tonight was the last polish I'm going to get out of this bottle.

First off it sprays on nice, and for the record, I purchased new terry cloths, nice ones that honestly I'm glad I got the 30 pack, plus they come out of the wash real nice and I can reuse.

Sprays on nice, it's pretty easy to work in. I use one terry towel to wipe it all on, trying to buff it most of the way shiny and flip/fold the terry in a cube pattern. Makes for 8 somewhat dry 6x4" flips. By the end of the car I get out a new fresh and dry terry and go over the car and rub out any haze from the now damp with wax terry.

The shine is impressive, but not wet and deep. The water bead is pretty amazing too as I got caught in an isolated downpour. It does very poorly in humid and damp conditions, and what I am saying is it seems to get a fog in serious humid and foggy mornings, but it disappears once in the sun and dry. After application the paint feels soft, but I've felt much softer.

I'd buy this product again, but I am going to try some others first. I want that wet look, deep and long lasting. I may try a regular wax, perhaps a carnauba, but I'll still probably buy another quick wax the same brand for them quick 2 hour clean ups. I am looking forward to the first "all day serious" waxing. Got my eye on a new vacuum too.

So any suggestions on both wax and spray wax I'm all ears since Ill probably be buying the new stuff this weekend.

Last edited by SELLC; 08-26-2016 at 11:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Corvette Saga - 72 hour battle with garage!