C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New parts, overheating continues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Yes but you have covered this very well and I told him 250 will do damage. The pressure gauge will tell. I could not even get him to grab the hoses to tell if the pump and stat are working. now he heated it to 260.
True. This stuff shouldn't be this hard. More time has been spent posting here, than testing anything.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:12 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Winton
Really? I got "check gauges" light when digital hit 260!
Oh yeah I got the light...

Hottest day of the summer, I was hauling butt up this road in traffic, I was driving like a dbag, keeping the RPM in the 3k to 4k range to keep my pipes singing ect... then right before I get to the top of this hill I notice my temps are at about 240... I allow the transmission to shift up and let off of the throttle and ease the car over the top, then coming down the hill I figure it will cool off. gets higher... then a traffic jam starts.
I managed to get off of the road, I make it to a gas station and I cool the car off, top the coolant level and continue on my way home...

issue starts again, however this time I'm in a traffic jam, nowhere to go...

In the end I decided f*** it, if I kill the engine then so be it, it will just mean a 383 stroker... it was a very stressful day
Old 08-16-2016, 01:36 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
True. This stuff shouldn't be this hard. More time has been spent posting here, than testing anything.
Amen you're preaching to the choir.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Tom Winton
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the pressure tester I am thinking you blew a head gasket. If so drain the coolant pull the plugs spin the engine get the water out and oil well. stop driving it before you do more damage.
Ok, I will get the tester by the weekend. I kinda hope it isn't a head gasket. I would like closure on this though...
Old 08-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Tom Winton
Intermediate

Amen you're preaching to the choir.
Yeah, I thought this shouldn't be this hard. I am a computer tech for mac and pc, website designer, work at a print shop as a graphic artist, etc. So sorry about the lack of knowledge on this particular subject. At least I am trying, and I did a hell of a tune up before dealing with the overheat issue.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:35 PM
SELLC
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 08-16-2016, 09:18 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Yeah, I thought this shouldn't be this hard. I am a computer tech for mac and pc, website designer, work at a print shop as a graphic artist, etc. So sorry about the lack of knowledge on this particular subject. At least I am trying, and I did a hell of a tune up before dealing with the overheat issue.
No problem of the lack of knowledge just try something. At least warm it up and feel the two big radiator hoses if one is colder we are on to something..
Old 08-17-2016, 09:48 AM
Tom Winton
Intermediate

No problem of the lack of knowledge just try something. At least warm it up and feel the two big radiator hoses if one is colder we are on to something..
Ok, went home and did ALL kinds of tests. Felt movement in the radiator hoses, ran to 240 on the digital and then shut it off. The surge tank was hot, the radiator hoses were hot, and the radiator was hot. I got the thermal gun and checked temps on EVERYTHING and recorded video on the entire process. Alot of air came out bleeder valve again. I looked under the car and noticed quite a bit of coolant. I now suspect that the new water pump is leaking from a gasket, and the metallic noise is the belt tensioner. This weekend, I am going to remove the water pump and I have brand new gaskets just in case. I will scrape and clean the engine and the pump, use new felpro gaskets, put back together and try this again.

Before I got the timing right, the temp never exceeded 204 with the fans grounded and running. So I have been asking myself what I did different.

Also, would like to know what direction the water pump coupling goes. The side with the ring faces the engine, not the water pump I believe...

Last edited by Tom Winton; 08-17-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:56 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Ok that will do it. Make sure you seal the pump bolts and pray you did not blow a gasket running it up to 260 or ruin your opti. Since you have the pump off but a nipple on it with a hose.

Pull your knock sensors and flush it right this time.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 08-17-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:36 AM
Tom Winton
Intermediate

Ok that will do it. Make sure you seal the pump bolts and pray you did not blow a gasket running it up to 260 or ruin your opti. Since you have the pump off but a nipple on it with a hose.

Pull your knock sensors and flush it right this time.
Ok, talk to you after the weekend with the results!
Old 08-17-2016, 11:41 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

OP - I'd maybe consider doing an analyzer test with the car "as is" before disassembling everything. There's very simple "block test" kits done through and using the cooling system OR you could maybe consider having an exhaust system check with a 4 gas analyzer.

I don't know where your located so I can't suggest but NAPA should have the "Bulb Tester" - the 4 gas might be an inexpensive option depending on where you're located and the facilities available.

I'd think "TOM400CFI" and others might agree.

I scanned through the thread quickly but I'd think this would certainly maybe be the next best procedure in your present situation. You might ask local also regarding the bleed, there's many thoughts about which sometimes include lifting/jacking but depends much on location of bleeder(s).

GOOGLE maybe "Block Test" NAPA Bulb Tester - do you need to buy? Maybe OR maybe someone rents/loans and you buy the dye. It costs "NOTHING to ask.

It seems you've had this car to "operating temps" long enough for the 4-gas and also the bulb check to be considered maybe reliable. Are they definitive and the FINAL required. Certainly NOT.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-17-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:55 AM
Tom Winton
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
OP - I'd maybe consider doing an analyzer test with the car "as is" before disassembling everything. There's very simple "block test" kits done through and using the cooling system OR you could maybe consider having an exhaust system check with a 4 gas analyzer.

I don't know where your located so I can't suggest but NAPA should have the "Bulb Tester" - the 4 gas might be an inexpensive option depending on where you're located and the facilities available.

I'd think "TOM400CFI" and others might agree.

I scanned through the thread quickly but I'd think this would certainly maybe be the next best procedure in your present situation. You might ask local also regarding the bleed, there's many thoughts about which sometimes include lifting/jacking but depends much on location of bleeder(s).

GOOGLE maybe "Block Test" NAPA Bulb Tester - do you need to buy? Maybe OR maybe someone rents/loans and you buy the dye. It costs "NOTHING to ask.

It seems you've had this car to "operating temps" long enough for the 4-gas and also the bulb check to be considered maybe reliable. Are they definitive and the FINAL required. Certainly NOT.
Ok, I will see. Thanks for the advice, we do have a Napa here...
Old 08-17-2016, 12:28 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I would check the hose clamps on the pump first before you pull them pump.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:35 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I now suspect that the new water pump is leaking from a gasket, and the metallic noise is the belt tensioner.
You can narrow down the source of the metallic noise by removing the belt and running the engine. The car won't overheat from that since the water pump is not driven from the belt.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:34 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Has the thermostat been verified that it is LT1 type? regular stats don't work ,has radiator been out to clean outer core air flow?Bleed system.Do this, After filling block then install stat and housing then run 2500 rpm with cap off and continue to fill, put cap on now,this lets steam vents in head to bleed,then let idle watch temps check for leaks let cool check level.This method works well for me.put cap on while at 2500 or get bath.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:39 PM
Tom Winton
Intermediate

Originally Posted by A Peter C4
Has the thermostat been verified that it is LT1 type? regular stats don't work ,has radiator been out to clean outer core air flow?Bleed system.Do this, After filling block then install stat and housing then run 2500 rpm with cap off and continue to fill, put cap on now,this lets steam vents in head to bleed,then let idle watch temps check for leaks let cool check level.This method works well for me.put cap on while at 2500 or get bath.
Yes, got the thermostat for LT1's. Did not do anything with the radiator, it is supposed to be 2 years old per my friend that I bought the car from.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Tom Winton
Intermediate

Ok, with new water pump seals and flush/fill again, the temp stays around 209 on the digital, and the analog is a little less than in the middle! It stays cool and drives great!

Get notified of new replies

To New parts, overheating continues...

Old 08-24-2016, 07:28 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Ok, with new water pump seals and flush/fill again, the temp stays around 209 on the digital, and the analog is a little less than in the middle! It stays cool and drives great!
Good job
Old 08-25-2016, 04:58 PM
Tom Winton
Intermediate

I know this sounds crazy, but after a great 45 minute drive, I parked. When I backed out, now I have an oil leak. Since I got it rolling, I decided to trade in the 92 vette and my 2014 Honda Civic Si for a used 2008 low miles Corvette! It is awesome! 6 speed manual, red jewel tint coat paint, etc. This made the wife happy that I am not working on the older one anymore. It is fast! Very happy, thank you everyone with ideas and theories that took the time to suggest fixes.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:37 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

We will miss you and warn the others LOL

Quick Reply: New parts, overheating continues...