C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Odometer and Speedo not working

Old 08-14-2016, 07:58 PM
KETCH1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Odometer and Speedo not working

I have a 1990 corvette, the odometer and speedometer are not working, speed displays 0 and odometer does not increment. Any ideas on where to start looking?
Old 08-14-2016, 08:25 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Vvs or vss cannot remember round thing on the side of the tranny. And tach filter.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 08-14-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:41 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

The VSS is located on the left rear of the transmission. It wouldn't be unusual for the connector to fail. A visual and physical inspection of that would certainly be considered the first check. Does everything else in the dash display work OK? Do you have a CEL? There's a multitude of possibilities.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:07 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

Check over at Batee.com. Bryan has a wealth of info there in addition to parts and doing repairs.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:40 PM
KETCH1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Vvs or vss cannot remember round thing on the side of the tranny. And tach filter.

Thanks, I will check the VSS connectivity at the tranny.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:00 PM
KETCH1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The VSS is located on the left rear of the transmission. It wouldn't be unusual for the connector to fail. A visual and physical inspection of that would certainly be considered the first check. Does everything else in the dash display work OK? Do you have a CEL? There's a multitude of possibilities.

Hi WVZR-1: What is a CEL? The LCD was intermittent, fuel gauge was not working, the tachometer reading 4k too high, the odo wouldn't increment, and speedo not registering so I purchased and replaced the tach IC chip and LCD ribbon cable and pulled two or three engine bay ground lugs and re-grounded them to the frame. That solved everything except the ODO and Speedo issue. Definitely going to check the VSS connection. In case anyone wants to check out a good source for cluster components and repair services
http://batee.com/
Old 08-15-2016, 04:03 PM
KETCH1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by hcbph
Check over at Batee.com. Bryan has a wealth of info there in addition to parts and doing repairs.
Indeed Brian is a good resource, I spoke to him shortly after purchasing my C4, cheers.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:56 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

CEL - Check Engine Light

If the ECM isn't seeing the VSS signal it should set a code 24 I believe.

You've potentially created your own issues with your attempt to fix.

If you remove the VSS and spin with a rotary device you should see very low AC voltage from the VSS. It doesn't matter but is this car a M6 or an A4?

Buy/borrow beg a scanner and see if the speed is displayed on the scanner? Is your car a C68 (ATC)? If yes you can display SPEED on the AC CONTROL. If that works the problem isn't at the VSS but in the cluster!!

If the label is on the console door and IF the VIN matches look for C60, C68,

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-15-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:06 PM
mc-emac
Heel & Toe

Default Did this get fixed?

Originally Posted by KETCH1
Hi WVZR-1: What is a CEL? The LCD was intermittent, fuel gauge was not working, the tachometer reading 4k too high, the odo wouldn't increment, and speedo not registering so I purchased and replaced the tach IC chip and LCD ribbon cable and pulled two or three engine bay ground lugs and re-grounded them to the frame. That solved everything except the ODO and Speedo issue. Definitely going to check the VSS connection. In case anyone wants to check out a good source for cluster components and repair services
http://batee.com/
I am currently having a similar issue. I have never fixed my LCD; it is very dim, but it can be read when wearing polarized sunglasses. My speedometer and odometer were working recently, but both have stopped. Were you able to find a solution?

Thanks for your insight!

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Odometer and Speedo not working

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Odometer and Speedo not working