C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 01:45 PM
Marc Michel
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help

Good afternoon everybody,

today i tried to turn on my 1984 corvette...it wouldn't start, but everything else works...all lights...fans..are good, i looked at the the fuse box and the brake fuse was broken, so i replaced it with 20A fuse, and i tried start the car, it started for 5 second, then i saw a spark under the hood by the passenger side, i don't know if its a relay switch/ fuse that was blown, now everytime i try to start it i hear a clicking sound but nothing. Later on i found out that the brake fuse was supposed to be 10A...please help me.

Thank you very much

Last edited by Marc Michel; 08-21-2016 at 01:53 PM. Reason: not complete
Old 08-21-2016, 01:57 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Might be a loose or dirty connection on your starter. Be sure you disconnect the battery first or you will hit your head. check your battery while your in there.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 08-21-2016 at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Marc Michel (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 02:12 PM
Marc Michel
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still did not work....I figured since there was a spark under the hood by the passenger side...it was probably a relay switch associated with the brake fuse which I unknowingly replace the 10A fuse with a 20A on the brake slot in the fuse box...that cause the big spark...but I do not know the location or if there is one at all...please keep in mind its 84 corvette.

The fuse was in the first slot with no label on it...I have no idea what its use for...after the spark under the hood car did not want to start

Last edited by Marc Michel; 08-21-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:05 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Michel

Still did not work....I figured since there was a spark under the hood by the passenger side...it was probably a relay switch associated with the brake fuse which I unknowingly replace the 10A fuse with a 20A on the brake slot in the fuse box...that cause the big spark...but I do not know the location or if there is one at all...please keep in mind its 84 corvette.

The fuse was in the first slot with no label on it...I have no idea what its use for...after the spark under the hood car did not want to start
Last time i've heard a clicking sound on mine trying to start her, was a died battery...

Did you read battery voltagr?

Last edited by Christi@n; 08-21-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:21 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Christi@n
Last time i've heard a clicking sound on mine trying to start her, was a died battery...

Did you read battery voltagr?
did you check it? If good jump the little wire to the big one on the starter if it cranks then have your starter rebuilt best to use a remote switch to do this for saftey. If it cranks you can turn the key on and start it and drive where you need to.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help

Quick Reply: Please help