C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to remove air bag from a 91?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:43 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Default How to remove air bag from a 91?

A friend go in an accident and got pretty screwed up from the air bag and a late model car so pretty modern air bag compared to the 'experiments' in '91. I rather not have it as a bomb in my face and will take my chances without it.

How to do it and what to use for a steering wheel later? Inexpensive being the operative word for the steering wheel yet the right size and easy to install.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:13 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

They are better than some of the new ones. But just pull the bag and disconnect the wire and reinstall.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:50 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
They are better than some of the new ones. But just pull the bag and disconnect the wire and reinstall.
Do I need ant special tools to do that? Does the FSM describe it well?
Old 08-22-2016, 12:59 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Do I need ant special tools to do that? Does the FSM describe it well?
Not sure on a 91 but my 94 was four screw and a plug. I was in there fixing horn buttons. or you could just unplug it from the crash sensor. Might get a light either way.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:47 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

As far as I can tell the old ones are safer than the new ones. You might need to contact your insurance regarding disabling safety feature. It could be an area of concern in case of accident. If I wanted to disable airbag would disconnect connector a base of steering column. The connector and wire sleeve are yellow and should have a white with blue lettering tag stating SIR. The SIR light will be on. I would not disable light indicating SIR didn't work.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:37 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I believe there's reason for debate concerning any SIR devices.

TO JUST DISABLE you could accomplish it at the column base or at the steering wheel. I'd use a 2Ω resistor to put out the DIC and to also remove the SEAT BELT light in the cluster. Resistor must be 2Ω and a 1% advisable.

At the steering wheel is undoubtedly the easiest but I'll agree that maybe at the column base might be my choice. It would be easier to use a connector and the resistor without the chance of maybe doing damage to the SIR COIL connector to the SIR. You could snip the connector from many JY columns to use.

The FSM covers the location of connectors very well.

Look @ 8A-201-20 and 9J-6 Fig. 8

The steering wheel replacement with after-market can be a rather expensive project. Many choices and all require generally just a correct hub/adapter and some horn wire modifications and of course the SIR defeat OR just tolerate the DIC & SEAT BELT LAMPS.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-23-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:41 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe there's reason for debate concerning any SIR devices.

TO JUST DISABLE you could accomplish it at the column base or at the steering wheel. I'd use a 2Ω resistor to put out the DIC and to also remove the SEAT BELT light in the cluster. Resistor must be 2Ω and a 1% advisable.

At the steering wheel is undoubtedly the easiest but I'll agree that maybe at the column base might be my choice. It would be easier to use a connector and the resistor without the chance of maybe doing damage to the SIR COIL connector to the SIR. You could snip the connector from many JY columns to use.

The FSM covers the location of connectors very well.

Look @ 8A-201-20 and 9J-6 Fig. 8

The steering wheel replacement with after-market can be a rather expensive project. Many choices and all require generally just a correct hub/adapter and some horn wire modifications and of course the SIR defeat OR just tolerate the DIC & SEAT BELT LAMPS.
Thanks for the tip! I have no real need for a new steering wheel so easy to avoid that, just like I want to avoid the broken nose and 2 broken cheek bones my friend gained in what amounted to a small collision. A junk yard around here is not likely to cut a harness up. I wonder if one of the Corvette recyclers has one might be my first look.

Insurance was mentioned but hey it is a used car gone through several owners what do I know?
Old 08-23-2016, 07:47 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Thanks for the tip! I have no real need for a new steering wheel so easy to avoid that, just like I want to avoid the broken nose and 2 broken cheek bones my friend gained in what amounted to a small collision. A junk yard around here is not likely to cut a harness up. I wonder if one of the Corvette recyclers has one might be my first look.

Insurance was mentioned but hey it is a used car gone through several owners what do I know?
Many might have a connector - I might actually have one myself. I'll look. I should be able to ID years that would work if I don't have. From a local JY that still does early/mid '90 GM salvage would certainly accommodate.

I'll post back but it will be later this evening.
The following users liked this post:
ddahlgren (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 10:19 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Many might have a connector - I might actually have one myself. I'll look. I should be able to ID years that would work if I don't have. From a local JY that still does early/mid '90 GM salvage would certainly accommodate.

I'll post back but it will be later this evening.
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove air bag from a 91?

Quick Reply: How to remove air bag from a 91?