C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Spark plug removal help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Spark plug removal help needed

Hello all.

1987 Corvette coupe auto., 59000 original miles.

I cannot make any money being a Corvette mechanic but I am somewhat handy with regular maintenance and a few other repairs. I have changed the plugs in my current Corvette in the past but am having difficulty with one plug. For lack of the proper description it is the passenger side plug closest to the front of the car...to me meaning the headlights. lol. I cant access it for the life of me. One spark plug socket now lives in the lower frame of the car since it fell and I can't even see it. There is no play in any of the pipes and hoses in this area. I did it before but you would never know it. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I have to take a break and do something relaxing...like cut the grass before I give it another go.

Thanks for any help...always appreciated,

Kevin
Old 08-22-2016, 01:47 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Get a socket that has the hex on the back then you can get a open end wrench on it to break it. Then get a stanley twist ratchet to remove and install. This is one that you can spin the handle as well as use as a regular ratchet I am sure others make it to maybe harbor freight. I got my Stanley at walmart for $20bucks.

Just read again my hard one was pass side by the fire wall. I took off the inter wheel wells for the others.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 08-22-2016 at 01:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bugly87 (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 02:54 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

All of my passenger side spark plugs come out easy from the bottom side but I have headers. Might give it a try, and you can find your socket while it is jacked up.
Bugly87 (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 03:06 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Taking the plastic shield in wheel well and above control arm off may give you a better view.
Bugly87 (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 05:14 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Pull front right wheel, then remove inter wheel skirt. That's how I do it. Works great
Bugly87 (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 08:31 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I got it out using the open end wrench per Antfarmers suggestion. Then I jacked it up, took off the wheel, and found my socket, wrench, and a fuel line bolt that fell over the past 2 days. Glad to end the day on a high note.

Thanks again everyone,

Kevin
Old 08-22-2016, 08:47 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Good job
Old 08-22-2016, 09:35 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Get a small telescoping magnet for your next dropped tool or bolt.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:11 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Get yourself one of these lights, they work well and are able to snake in areas and have a magnetic ring on the front. Having a built in light doesn't hurt either.
Attached Images  

Last edited by hcbph; 08-23-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Bugly87 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 10:30 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugly87
Hello all.

1987 Corvette coupe auto., 59000 original miles.

I cannot make any money being a Corvette mechanic but I am somewhat handy with regular maintenance and a few other repairs. I have changed the plugs in my current Corvette in the past but am having difficulty with one plug. For lack of the proper description it is the passenger side plug closest to the front of the car...to me meaning the headlights. lol. I cant access it for the life of me. One spark plug socket now lives in the lower frame of the car since it fell and I can't even see it. There is no play in any of the pipes and hoses in this area. I did it before but you would never know it. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I have to take a break and do something relaxing...like cut the grass before I give it another go.

Thanks for any help...always appreciated,

Kevin
long extension right through wheel well
Bugly87 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 04:30 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by mlm0
Pull front right wheel, then remove inter wheel skirt. That's how I do it. Works great
I remember that from when I had an 88.
Its easier than it sounds, may need a long extension.

Can't believe I remember that carp - haven't had that car for over 12 years
Old 08-26-2016, 02:04 AM
1972.spitfire
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Get yourself one of these lights, they work well and are able to snake in areas and have a magnetic ring on the front. Having a built in light doesn't hurt either.
plus 2 those tools save a lot of time
Old 08-27-2016, 11:23 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Now that it is out, Don't forget the anti-seize on the threads. Also I don't suggest the super expensive 100K plugs. Good average ones will do so you can freely toss them every year.
Bugly87 (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 08:20 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Originally Posted by aklim
Now that it is out, Don't forget the anti-seize on the threads. Also I don't suggest the super expensive 100K plugs. Good average ones will do so you can freely toss them every year.

+ X2 Thin layer of anti seize applied...I got the good ACDELCO's not the most expensive ones. Thanks for the tip
Old 08-27-2016, 08:24 PM
SELLC
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugly87

+ X2 Thin layer of anti seize applied...I got the good ACDELCO's not the most expensive ones. Thanks for the tip
To be honest, anti-seize on the plugs often times just makes them harder to remove the next time around as the compound dries and crystalizes over time. 9 times out of 10 when you remove a plug and it makes all kinds of nasty screeching noises when loosing, it's because of dried up anti-seize.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:46 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by SELLC
To be honest, anti-seize on the plugs often times just makes them harder to remove the next time around as the compound dries and crystalizes over time. 9 times out of 10 when you remove a plug and it makes all kinds of nasty screeching noises when loosing, it's because of dried up anti-seize.
I have heard squeaking on dry plugs but not mine since I removed them annually and not 10 years later. I have seen plugs and glow plugs break in the head without anti-seize. Just don't leave it too long or the dissimilar metals will corrode or the anti-seize will dry out.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:49 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Default Using anti-seize and removing the spark plugs

I have worked on cars, motorcycles, boats, stationary engines and airplanes and in all my years I have never had a spark plug not come out "easily" where I have used anti-seize properly. On my non-flying machines I use PERMATEX brand anti-seize and it has never failed me in over 45 years. On flying machines I use CHAMPION brand anti-seize which is similar to the car stuff but uses alcohol in it which evaporates leaving a graphite layer only between parts.

Anytime you have steel spark plugs going into aluminum cylinder heads ALWAYS use anti-seize on the threads. The threads on both sides have to be clean and dry for it to work the best. If in doubt use a little brake cleaner spray on both the plug and the threaded hole and let it evaporate before moving on.

I have been rebuilding my brake system on my 1988 Coupe and I have used anti-seize on every bolt that I have removed and re-installed. Somebody down the road will appreciate this effort.

If you are worried about it drying out use the higher quality anti-seize as I have had my 1968 for over 25 years and never seen any evidence of "drying out" or "crystallizing" of the anti-seize. My biggest complaint about anti-seize is that it is hard to get off of your hands so wear gloves while working with it!

On my 1988 L-98 I have found the #4 Spark Plug (2nd from front on right side of motor) to be the beast from heck. I bought a socket like the one mentioned above with a head on it for a wrench and used a "GearWrench" ratcheting wrench.
You really need to remove the inner fender and the right front wheel before attempting to remove the plugs on the passenger side. On C4's be sure to seat the spark plug boot carefully as it is easy to not get a good solid connection on those hard to reach plugs (#2 & #4). No sense in making another problem down the road with a "Missing" cylinder.

My 1968 has a L-71 and I can reach all 8 plugs from the top and change them in 10 minutes or less!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:17 PM
wm_sorg
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. It would have nearly impossible to do without removing both inner fenders on the right side. Surpprisingly there was even enough room to get a torque wrench on the plugs.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:42 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SELLC
You couldn't more wrong on that!

Anti-seize on steel plugs going into aluminum heads is an absolute must!! The galvanic corrosion that will occur between two dissimilar metals over thousands of heat cycles will eventually lead to plugs seizing into aluminum heads! When left long enough for the petroleum base to dry out?? Something I've never seen, and would probably take decades.... the very small particles of metal left, usually copper or nickel in a quality anti-seize will still be there to prevent corrosion and lubricate the plug threads to facilitate easy removal.

Anti-seize isn't as important when installing plugs into cast iron heads but is still a very good idea for easy removal later!

Last edited by mako41; 06-03-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug removal help needed

Quick Reply: Spark plug removal help needed