C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New door weatherstrip leak at windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:15 AM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts
Default New door weatherstrip leak at windshield

Have aftermarket latex on A-Pillar. And new CRC weatherstripping on the doors.

The doors both leak at the top front joint around where the A-Pillar weatherstrip end and door weatherstrip top end mesh together.

Hard to tell exactly. But looks like water getting in past the tube part of the door weatherstripping that is right past the end of the A-Pillar weatherstrip.

Anyone had similar problems and fixed it?

Hard to tell, but that top part on door weatherstrip around the first push pin transitions where it seals on the corner of the body. I'm thinking this transition at the top is letting water in. Think of it like a tube hose being pressed up against a corner. It seals to one flat side, then an area where it presses against a corner then transitions to sealing on the other flat side.

Have the door strip glued in at the end to the first push pin. The tube part is glued on the bottom and side. Thinking of taking a razor blade and cutting the sealant along the side and sticking a vacuum tube in there or something to see if that pushing the door weatherstrip there away from the door which may help it seal better to the car body. May also cut glue front bottom and stick a vacuum tube underneath to raise it up some for more pressure to the end of the A-Pillar weatherstrip.

May also try sticking a small vacuum tube at the end of the A-Pillar that is supposed to be glued down to see if that will make more pressure to the door weatherstrip.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:22 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Try dielectric grease on them and a little heat like a hair dryer. Might have to ajust the window. Try to resist the bubba in you.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
colter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Try dielectric grease on them and a little heat like a hair dryer. Might have to ajust the window. Try to resist the bubba in you.
It's not the window and it isn't leaking near the window.

It comes in somewhere around the tip of the A-pillar weatherstrip. i.e. in the door jamb area.

On the front door weatherstrip piece. You've got a large piece that has 2 screws in it, then that turns into a hollow tube that is snapped into the door all around the door to the other side.

I'm thinking the water is going over the tube part somewhere around the first pin at the top before it curves down vertically.

It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming in at as I think it mostly just drips down onto the door sill area instead of running down the door. But it's hard to see with window in the way while dumping water. May roll window down all the way so I can stick my head in while dumping water in the jam.

I think it may be one of those deals where the OEM latex door piece just meshes better into the door jam to seal it vs. the after market rubber hollow tube design.

But after dumping water. Some goes on top of the carpet plastic piece, but also puddles in the channel where the bottom edge of the carpeted plastic piece screws into. And thus wets all along the bottom edge of the carpet. Water should not be there, but should be in the channel just below that not touching the carpet.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:58 AM
colter
Burning Brakes

I think I'll remove the wind lace, and roll the window down so I can stick my head in. Then dump water in the top of the door jam and that should be easier to see the point or points of where the water is getting in at.

I'm thinking I could cut the glue along the bottom of the front/top end door weatherstripping and stick something in there like vacuum line or something to push the end of the door weatherstripping up higher some, which should make a tighter contact with the A-Pillar weatherstrip.

Also could try cutting the glue on the side of the tube part of the top door weatherstrip. And stick a vac line in there which should push the top/middle of that tube part a few mms or so away from the door so it should make a tighter seal with car body.

Or could cut the glue on the bottom and side of that tube part to the first push pin and move it over to the outer edge of door frame and reglue it there. Probably stuff a small vacuum line in the side gap of the door and that tube part to give some support for that weatherstrip so shutting the door doesn't push/rip the tube part of the door weatherstripping.

Just some idea of things I'm thinking of trying to get rid of the leak.

Get notified of new replies

To New door weatherstrip leak at windshield

Quick Reply: New door weatherstrip leak at windshield