C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best Rotors and Pads for 1995 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:38 AM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

Default Best Rotors and Pads for 1995 Corvette

Just recently purchased a 1995 Corvette coupe. Looking to upgrade the factory pads and rotors. I believe starting in the 1995 model year all Corvettes got the J55 bigger brakes as standard. Not looking to break the bank. And not a lot of brake dust. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:30 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Rotors are heavy so a "local" buy I'd think not only wise but also a very good reason to only consider "local".

I'd think you've maybe enough "driving experience" to know what your good, better or best choices might be so I'll leave that alone.

Most any of the "local" vendors can get you product of choice when asked. You don't need a typical "off the shelf" choice.

I don't believe there's a "definitive" BEST choice - Joe, John, Jim, me and you all have very different things to consider. NJ topography is very different than some. Daily driver, occasional or whatever maybe deserves consideration.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-24-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:49 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

If dusting is a primary consideration, I would suggest the NAPA Ceramix pads. I have them on my '94, and am very pleased. Braking performance is more than adequate for a street car. They're not grabby, and they'll lock up the wheels as well as any other pad, so grip isn't an issue. I can't say anything about how they might fade if used on a track, but I don't care because mine is used only on the street. Dusting is minimal, and it isn't dark in color. My chromed wheels stay looking nice. When this set wears out, I'll buy another.

Live well,

SJW
Old 08-24-2016, 09:12 AM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Thank You guys. Anyone have any experience with Powerstop rotors and pads?
Old 08-24-2016, 09:15 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Turbo Bob
Just recently purchased a 1995 Corvette coupe. Looking to upgrade the factory pads and rotors. I believe starting in the 1995 model year all Corvettes got the J55 bigger brakes as standard. Not looking to break the bank. And not a lot of brake dust. Thanks.
If you want a quality aftermarket pad I recommend the Carbotech 1521 pad. A low dust pad that is rotor friendly and performs like OEM if not better under thresh hold braking and last longer. 100% non-corrosive dust will not harm your paint or wheels. This pad also contains NRS technology. Carbotech uses NRS technology on all C4, C5, C6 & C7 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com

If interested let me know I will be happy to help you.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

As far as rotors check out the Centric premiums.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 08-24-2016, 10:36 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Summit Racing offers free ground shipping on any orders over $99.00. I usually check them first, even though Summit is local to me here in Ohio, so I have sales tax to consider.

Sometimes Advance Auto has holiday and other sales events and they can get parts also. I was looking at headers (didn't get yet, other priorities) and Advance offered them for $200.00 less than any competitor due to one of their holiday sales.

So my point is once you get a good idea of what you want (through recommendations, etc) then start your online shopping for the best deal, even if you have to wait a week for them to arrive.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:04 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I like NAPA rotors for the street. I also like slotted rotors on any car. And never ever put drilled rotors on a C4. They will crack.

Dust is from the pads. Brake noise (squeal) is because of improper rotor prep. You cannot install rotors directly out of the box.

Here's an article I wrote about rotor prep. I've probably installed over a thousand sets of brakes and may one three squealed.

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 08-24-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:53 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

The 13" C4 brakes are a lot better than many people give them credit for. To me the biggest issue is that the calipers tend to flex under heavy braking - making the system "feel" somewhat spongy and unpredictable.

I'll leave the pad choice up to you. There are numerous options out there, and there are more threads on the subject than you can read in one night. With brake pads there are numerous variables that the pad developers consider - Cold Performance, High Temp performance, initial bite, linearity of the friction coefficient as a function of temp, pad release characteristics, pad life, cost, pad noise, rotor friendliness cold, rotor friendliness hot, dusting, etc, etc. etc. You have to decide which matter to you and which don't. If you don't track the car, or look for ways to torture test the brakes - street type performance pads from any number of manufacturers (Performance Friction, Hawk, EBC, Carbotech, Porterfield, Raybestos to name a few) will probably perform just fine.

As for Rotors - I've had good luck with GM Rotors - including use on a vehicle that gets tracked, check out the prices from several on-line parts sources...

I'll also HIGHLY recommend a good brake fluid flush before you pull everything apart - who knows how long that brake fluid has been in there... I say "before" because you don't want to push dirty brake fluid back into the ABS module as you push the pistons back into their bores.....
Old 08-28-2016, 10:10 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Some of the C4 and C5 cars are getting pretty old.
You might want to consider a flush with denatured alcohol. That will really clean things up and get the crud out. You then follow up with the normal brake fluid.

Just don't use silicone fluid.

Richard Newton
Old 08-28-2016, 09:10 PM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hawk pads, ferrous or ceramic. American steel rotors. Motul or Ate fluid.

Amazon has some fantastic deals. Hawk ferrous $72. Package deals also.

Last edited by tlong; 08-28-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:06 PM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Rotors and Pads for 1995 Corvette

Quick Reply: Best Rotors and Pads for 1995 Corvette