C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any CFI to Carb Threads ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:36 AM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Any CFI to Carb Threads ?

Looking to motor swap this winter and found a motor at summit racing and I haven't decided which would be less expensive.... Going carb, trying to put the CFI equipment back on the crate motor, or trying to update wiring and ecm to accomodate a different intake system. Please chime in with useful advice taking into consideration that cost is a factor.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:05 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Why? Carburetors are old technology. Go to TPI or some other form of injection.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 08-24-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:30 AM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Originally Posted by We Gone
Why? Carburetors are old technology. Go to TPI or some other form of injection.
Becuse i'm not going to rewire the whole car and swap ecm's and everything else to make the new electronics work. It is very expensive and costly to do so. Or at least i think it is. Guy's Ive never done anything like this and had not intended on having to do this with my car so I'm trying to fix my current problem as inexpensively as possible.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:41 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Here are some great reads on the CFI. Hope it helps ya.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...solutions.html
Old 08-24-2016, 11:02 AM
warrior4jesus
Racer

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-10067353 will this motor work with factory CFI equipment?
Old 08-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by warrior4jesus
Looking to motor swap this winter and found a motor at summit racing and I haven't decided which would be less expensive.... Going carb, trying to put the CFI equipment back on the crate motor, or trying to update wiring and ecm to accomodate a different intake system.
Maintaining the stock CFI system is by far, the least expensive option. It should bolt right on to your new crate motor, so what could be less expensive than that? To go carb, you're going to need:
*Intake
*Carb
*FPR
*Linkage/cable
*Some kind of converter control
*Plumbing
*Distributor
*Filter assembly

I'm seeing at least $500 to make the swap.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:02 PM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Maintaining the stock CFI system is by far, the least expensive option. It should bolt right on to your new crate motor, so what could be less expensive than that? To go carb, you're going to need:
*Intake
*Carb
*FPR
*Linkage/cable
*Some kind of converter control
*Plumbing
*Distributor
*Filter assembly

I'm seeing at least $500 to make the swap.
I have no problem keeping the CFI. I just want to know it will bolt on to that motor i posted. I know it wont bolt on to my other option. OR if you know of a motor it will bolt on to for sure and it's $3000.00 or less Post it.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:05 PM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
if I were going to put a carb style manifold on a SBC it would have a 90 degree elbo and a single bore throttle body

have you done leakdown and compression tests on the car

personally I'd restore what you have with the CFI unless the block (not to mention the wiring) is toast

Iowa...... I've seen corn fed....... Damned mice get into everything
machine shop here quoted me 4 to 5k to rebuild the current engine and I just cant see spending that kind of money on a 200 HP motor. Like i said I did not intend on doing a rebuild with this car and I'm just trying to get out of this w/o spending 5g's rebuilding it.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:37 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I have no problem keeping the CFI. I just want to know it will bolt on to that motor i posted. I know it wont bolt on to my other option. OR if you know of a motor it will bolt on to for sure and it's $3000.00 or less Post it.
It will bolt directly to that motor. No issues at all.

It will also bolt to any Gen I motor w/some drilling/tapping/grinding. I've put a CFI intake on a Vortec long block. It was a bit tricky, but possible.
The following users liked this post:
warrior4jesus (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 06:03 PM
warrior4jesus
Racer

It will bolt directly to that motor. No issues at all.

It will also bolt to any Gen I motor w/some drilling/tapping/grinding. I've put a CFI intake on a Vortec long block. It was a bit tricky, but possible.
So now the next question. Will I be losing any performance with that motor due to the lower compression? It's a small amount lower but it is lower. Are there any crate motors in the 1.5 to 3k range u would reccomend over this motor that will bolt on the CFI? Sorry to be such a pain but this is such a major decision and I only want to make it once and I would like to be satisfied with my choice.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

So now the next question. Will I be losing any performance with that motor due to the lower compression? It's a small amount lower but it is lower. Are there any crate motors in the 1.5 to 3k range u would reccomend over this motor that will bolt on the CFI? Sorry to be such a pain but this is such a major decision and I only want to make it once and I would like to be satisfied with my choice.
I doubt that the power difference will be noticeable unless you've put objective numbers to the car (drag track or dyno). I'd guess that engine would be w/in 10hp of your old one -with your old one, running right. I feel you could probably about make up for any deficit (if there is any) with more timing and optimizing fuel pressure.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:57 PM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Questions that come to mind in addition are that this is rated at a 195 HP with up to 260 HP depending on intake and injection set up. At a base of 195 does that mean that the CFI setup will not provide more than 10 HP to this motor? I had really hoped i could gain something on swapping motors, 50 HP ....something. I cant find any GEN 1 motors that are not rated a truck motor. If you could link a motor that you found that would be an increase of HP that would also utilize all the stock CFI without modification I would forever be in your debt. Or if there isnt one than I thank you for all you have helped with thus far.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:55 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Alright....

First, how are they making that hp claim w/a 65 hp spread? NO intake is going to "make" 65 hp...not on that engine. I'd guess that it's rated at "~195hp" as installed in a period correct, smogger car; an '80 Caprice, for example. In your 'Vette, you'd probably end up w/~200ish hp with the 'Vette's better exhaust, electric fan, serp belt and the CFI. ~10hp better than the "Caprice" example...so about what your stock engine made in your car. The 260HP? That would be the same engine, on a dyno, LT headers, no exhaust, decent dual plane intake, 4 bbl, no accessories, no air filter, optimized jetting and timing. There is your "260hp". It's there...but not in real life.

SO, second, I doubt the CFI would "provide" 10hp over their base claim; it's the install (the "VETTE" part) that would get you ~10hp over their claim.

Third, the BEST value for your "50hp" is straight up a "VORTEC (LINK)" 350 long block, your CFI intake w/massive porting, then feeding it what it wants. That is going to require more fuel pressure (possibly a new pump), a 1 pc ream main seal flywheel/flex plate, fussy, but doable drilling/tapping of the heads for the intake bolts. But it will work, it's cheap, those engines last forever, and that combo should get you into the 250hp range.

Fourth; don't worry about a "truck motor"...ALL 'Vettes have "truck motors", essentially. The TPI is the best gas truck motor ever made...that never went into a truck, unfortunately.

Last, You aren't going to get more power economically with any engine that "would also utilize all the stock CFI without modification". W/o modification, the CFI intake is just too restrictive. You might coax 220-230 chp out of something, but spending more $$$ on "more engine" to get your 50 hp goal...and then keeping the stock intake (unported/modified) is going to be money wasted. If you want 50 more HP (on a budget), you're going to have to port your intake, or change it.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 08-24-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:47 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Tom the only thing you missed was the torque you can get out of CFI motor
Old 08-24-2016, 08:59 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

You aren't going to get more power economically with any engine that "would also utilize all the stock CFI without modification". W/o modification, the CFI intake is just too restrictive. You might coax 220-230 chp out of something, but spending more $$$ on "more engine" to get your 50 hp goal...and then keeping the stock intake (unported/modified) is going to be money wasted. If you want 50 more HP (on a budget), you're going to have to port your intake.
There are other good engine builders out there. Here's one that I have used, and they built it to my specs, at a very reasonable price.

http://www.larrysengine.com/index.html

If you're on a budget, the only thing you really need is to open up the ports on that CFI intake manifold! That's a MUST! Just like Tom said!

Keeping the CFI will save you all that potential conversion money! You've already got all the right stuff!

Old 08-24-2016, 10:05 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Stock CFI intake next to ported.

Get notified of new replies

To Any CFI to Carb Threads ?

Quick Reply: Any CFI to Carb Threads ?