C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

OBX Headers Intallation Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:42 PM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16
Default OBX Headers Intallation Question

Has anyone installed OBX headers on an 96 LT1? Thinking about using them on my CE, but not sure if there are any major fitment issues with them.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2016, 09:35 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastnail
Has anyone installed OBX headers on an 96 LT1? Thinking about using them on my CE, but not sure if there are any major fitment issues with them.

Thanks
I have OBX LT1 headers on my 86 (have to use them with fastburn heads). I also have LT1 exhaust. The headers fit good, just had to file a little on a couple of holes to get the bolts started. I had to cut and weld one of the connector pipes to fit. The angle was't right. I also welded flanges to bolt the pipes together in front of the resonator to make installation and removal easier. The clamps they send suck. The headers and all the welds look great. Spark plugs are easy to access from the top on the drivers side, passenger side is not bad from underneath. Fastburns have angle plugs. Well worth the money if you can weld stainless.
The following users liked this post:
Fastnail (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 10:00 PM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke
I have OBX LT1 headers on my 86 (have to use them with fastburn heads). I also have LT1 exhaust. The headers fit good, just had to file a little on a couple of holes to get the bolts started. I had to cut and weld one of the connector pipes to fit. The angle was't right. I also welded flanges to bolt the pipes together in front of the resonator to make installation and removal easier. The clamps they send suck. The headers and all the welds look great. Spark plugs are easy to access from the top on the drivers side, passenger side is not bad from underneath. Fastburns have angle plugs. Well worth the money if you can weld stainless.
Do the fastburn heads have D shaped exhaust ports like the 96 LT1 heads?
Old 08-25-2016, 10:26 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Following

I have a feeling these might bolt right up to a Corsa Catback since the OBX longtubes bolt right up to their OBX Catback (Corsa Clone).
Fastnail (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 02:52 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastnail
Do the fastburn heads have D shaped exhaust ports like the 96 LT1 heads?
Yes, and they use the LT1 gaskets.
Fastnail (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 04:59 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Many have claimed terrible fitment. I Love the Performance to value ratio. I have a 94 LT1> I can tell you the fitment needs adjustment & tweaking. I have the Full system. I moded the collectors to 3" the Sound is Awesome!! do NOT use the OBX clamps!!! Purchase Dixon Stainless .120 T-clamps.. 96 should not be any different. Minus The PCM is true OBD II.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 08-25-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Fastnail (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:54 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Can you be more specific? What needs tweaking and adjusting?

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
Many have claimed terrible fitment. I Love the Performance to value ratio. I have a 94 LT1> I can tell you the fitment needs adjustment & tweaking. I have the Full system. I moded the collectors to 3" the Sound is Awesome!! do NOT use the OBX clamps!!! Purchase Dixon Stainless .120 T-clamps.. 96 should not be any different. Minus The PCM is true OBD II.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:36 AM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

It is not a perfected fit. My system was very close. example the header flange bolts are not a precise fit. slight DE-burring to perfect. Stage 8 bolts 3/16 allen keyed. are a must. The connection ends may need slight grinding to shorten OR make the ends true to even out the tail pipe distance. if you are looking to straight-up bolt on. with NO work. they may not be a good choice. I would purchase OBX any-day. it is well worth adjusting.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:10 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

I have both LT1 OBX systems, OBX headers and OBX cat-back. The quality and the fitment was GREAT. I was truly surprised by the value offer by OBX. I would assume quality control is trash as they are cheap but both sets I got were good quality and bolted right up no problem. I'm sure they have fitment issues and bad parts due to the lack of quality control but I got 2 good sets and I can't complain.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:21 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

So the OBX Headers did bolt right up to the OBX cat back?

Originally Posted by v8vette84
I have both LT1 OBX systems, OBX headers and OBX cat-back. The quality and the fitment was GREAT. I was truly surprised by the value offer by OBX. I would assume quality control is trash as they are cheap but both sets I got were good quality and bolted right up no problem. I'm sure they have fitment issues and bad parts due to the lack of quality control but I got 2 good sets and I can't complain.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:36 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
So the OBX Headers did bolt right up to the OBX cat back?
I welded the pipes together myself and no I did not have an issue welding the pipes together. I just cut the pipes down a bit or added a bit of pipe so they would fit together. Also something to mention their clamps leave something to be desired. Use better band clamps or weld the pipes. Their clamps look and feel heavy duty but I couldn't get them to tighten up enough.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:42 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I just received my pair of obx with cats.
Really nice pieces welds are good.
After seeing what these are as far as size Really Makes me wonder about spending 1300$ + for a set of headers really. But here comes the good part-
The mounting holes on the flanges are OFF ( on this pair) so the holes do not line up correctly. What a Nightmare these could be-
*Lucky for me I have my Sick LT-1 sitting on an engine stand and can lay these right on the motor- If I was trying to install these on the car With the engine still in would be MORE challenging. Keep that in mind
Looks like only 1 hole is off.

Last edited by illenema; 01-24-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:07 PM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

My OBX L98 -headers for my '91 are not direct bolt on either.

Passenger side fits ok but only 2 bolt holes are in correct position. Driver side touches the "frame" on the outside and both a rubber hose and the oil filter on the inside. And also only 2 bolt holes are correct. So, lots of hammering and Dremeling is needed in my case to make them fit.

When I get them installed I expect problems with the Y-pipe fitment too as it would be a miracle if they got it right after their performance on the long tubes.

Get notified of new replies

To OBX Headers Intallation Question

Quick Reply: OBX Headers Intallation Question