C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Please help to identify this part

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 07:23 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Please help to identify this part

Hello all,
Im putting my Vette back together and have a question before I proceed. There is a small box under the plenum that houses a few vacumn hoses and a electrical plug that comes from the injector bank. At the front of the box is a port that looks like it at one time housed a line, possibly another vacumm hose. Can anyone tell me what connects to this port and if it needs to be connected or plugged. I have enclosed a picture. Thanks for any help..I dont want to proceed in case I have to address it. Wont reach it easily if back together.

Kevin

Old 08-25-2016, 11:40 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cuum-line.html

That is your egr solenoid. Looks like you are missing the foam piece. They are no longer made.

Last edited by Dt86; 08-25-2016 at 11:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bugly87 (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 02:30 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Thanks for the reply. Does this need to be plugged off or can I let it be as is?
Old 08-26-2016, 06:46 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Before I put this back together I have a question. I can find a piece of foam to put here and reinstall but I am considering just replacing the EGR solenoid while I am there. The reason being that lately I have been experiencing stalling and stumbling upon acceleration. This has been happening the past few weeks. Not all the time and it runs very well when its not. No codes except a slight flicker once when it stumbled. I don't like throwing parts here but I gladly will while it is apart since I don't want to take it apart again to replace this

What are anyone's thoughts? I see them on Corvette Centrals site. I will be in Carlisle tomorrow and will look for one.

Kevin
Old 08-26-2016, 06:52 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

How old is your o2?
Old 08-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
How old is your o2?
Hi Antfarmer...New O2 last year. Ran fine for a year until recently

My mechanic plugged my original EGR valve and away went my hesitation. Im replacing it now thus it being apart

Last edited by Bugly87; 08-26-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:06 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugly87
Hi Antfarmer...New O2 last year. Ran fine for a year until recently

My mechanic plugged my original EGR valve and away went my hesitation. Im replacing it now thus it being apart

Bugly87 (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 08:29 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
lol thank you....but meaning that my mechanic plugged my EGR maybe 2 years ago and the hesitation stopped....until about 2 weeks ago. I just changed my EGR valve, my ICM, my coolant temp sensor, and plugs...while everything is easier to reach. I'm just worried that i'll put it together and my solenoid will be at fault. I can swap out my O2..that is easy but the solenoid with everything together..
Old 08-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

The egr solenoid is just a simple switch that is commanded to open by the ecm. You can test it (removed) by adding voltage to it. You should hear it click when you do this.
Bugly87 (08-26-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 08:22 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Originally Posted by Dt86
The egr solenoid is just a simple switch that is commanded to open by the ecm. You can test it (removed) by adding voltage to it. You should hear it click when you do this.
Thank you for the tip Dt86. Tested the one I have per your suggestion and it seems fine.

Kevin
Old 08-27-2016, 08:52 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Thank you for the tip Dt86. Tested the one I have per your suggestion and it seems fine. Kevin
Glad to help Kevin. They are pretty stalwart parts, which is good since you can only find them used. When I put my intake back together last year I noticed that the bracket for it was a tight fit in there. I ended up trimming some of it off for an easier install.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:16 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Default Only me

Hello all,

The title says it all. I received a ton of help the past 3 weeks doing some work on my 1987 Corvette Automatic. I replaced the ICM, CTS, EGR valve, and spark plugs. Everything to spec and meticulously taken apart and installed. Got it back together today and it fired up and immediately stalled. Not too worried I tried again and same thing. Started but would not run...not even with feathering the pedal. I walked away in disbelief. These were simple repairs and something always goes wrong. I disconnected the MAP sensor and it now idles a bit rough but can be driven. Stumbles a bit but under acceleration runs very well...better that previously. Got it home and reconnected the MAF and it would start but not run. My MAF is close to 5 years old and looked a bit dirty. Could this be my issue? It ran fine before and I was careful in handling the MAF sensor. I will try to clean it tomorrow. And would gladly get a new one if that is my issue.

Thanks for any continued advice,

Kevin
Old 08-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Hello all, The title says it all. I received a ton of help the past 3 weeks doing some work on my 1987 Corvette Automatic. I replaced the ICM, CTS, EGR valve, and spark plugs. Everything to spec and meticulously taken apart and installed. Got it back together today and it fired up and immediately stalled. Not too worried I tried again and same thing. Started but would not run...not even with feathering the pedal. I walked away in disbelief. These were simple repairs and something always goes wrong. I disconnected the MAP sensor and it now idles a bit rough but can be driven. Stumbles a bit but under acceleration runs very well...better that previously. Got it home and reconnected the MAF and it would start but not run. My MAF is close to 5 years old and looked a bit dirty. Could this be my issue? It ran fine before and I was careful in handling the MAF sensor. I will try to clean it tomorrow. And would gladly get a new one if that is my issue. Thanks for any continued advice, Kevin
Don't feel bad it's not just you that these things happen to! Did it throw any codes? Double and triple check everything. If it ran fine before then you likely missed something.
Bugly87 (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Don't feel bad it's not just you that these things happen to! Did it throw any codes? Double and triple check everything. If it ran fine before then you likely missed something.
There was a code but I assume it was because I disconnected the MAF. Ill check again not sure I got a code prior. Ill check everything again but I took my time and triple checked everything. Is it coincidental that it ran better after I unplugged the MAF? I really didn't do too much of anything else. I also cleaned the IAC while the throttle body was off. That part is only 2 years old however.

Thanks for any advice,

Kevin
Old 08-29-2016, 09:14 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

There was a code but I assume it was because I disconnected the MAF. Ill check again not sure I got a code prior. Ill check everything again but I took my time and triple checked everything. Is it coincidental that it ran better after I unplugged the MAF? I really didn't do too much of anything else. I also cleaned the IAC while the throttle body was off. That part is only 2 years old however. Thanks for any advice, Kevin
When you unplug the maf sensor it forces the ecm into open loop. In open loop the car is running in default or "limp home" mode and is no longer running off of any sensors. Check the fine wires in the maf sensor just to make certain none got broken or dirty while apart. If they look dirty do not use anything other than maf cleaner on it. Also take a good look at the maf weatherpack connector to make sure the wires and connectors are all good.
Bugly87 (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 09:26 PM
Bugly87
Racer

When you unplug the maf sensor it forces the ecm into open loop. In open loop the car is running in default or "limp home" mode and is no longer running off of any sensors. Check the fine wires in the maf sensor just to make certain none got broken or dirty while apart. If they look dirty do not use anything other than maf cleaner on it. Also take a good look at the maf weatherpack connector to make sure the wires and connectors are all good.
Ok...I will check those tomorrow. Could a faulty out of the box CTS cause this condition? A faulty ICM? I cant wrap my head around that being the problem. Starts up and shuts right off. I assume that even a bad sensor the car would still run even poorly.
Thanks again,

Kevin
Old 08-30-2016, 04:17 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Ok...got home from work and triple checked everything again. All sensors plugged in, etc. I checked my MAF and it is still relatively clean and the three thin wires are in tact. Tried it again no improvement. Starts but then dies right away. I checked my codes and got a single code 33...I assume when I unplugged the MAF last night. I might have to go back and check each installed part to see if they are good. My question is...can I eliminate any of them before checking them? I mean with the MAF unplugged it runs somewhat ok. For example can I assume that the new ICM is ok since it starts with the MAF unplugged? Same with the EGR and CTS? Another thought is that even though I cleaned the TB and the IAC seperatly and was very careful..could parts cleaner have ruined it? Same for the TPS? I was very careful not to spray near the sensor.

Any thoughts would be helpful to me,

Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To Please help to identify this part

Old 08-30-2016, 04:36 PM
Bugly87
Racer

I just checked my TPS and the reading was low...34 volts. I adjusted it to .54 but no improvement.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:48 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Disconnected the TPS...no improvement Reconnected it
Disconnected the IAC...no improvement Reconnected it
Disconnected the CTS...no improvement Reconnected it

I'm starting to believe that it is in the TB. I cleaned it when it was off. I'm not real sure how to do it but I sprayed carb cleaner on the butterfly flaps and cleaned with a toothbrush. Cleaned the outside as well as the IAC passage and the IAC ( out of the throttle body ). My question is...if the TB is dirty or clogged, will disconnecting the MAF compensate for that issue to run better? I'm out of ideas and frankly this job was very simple. I cant keep looking at it before it goes to the garage.

Any help is appreciated

Kevin
Old 08-30-2016, 11:42 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Pm sent..
Bugly87 (08-31-2016)

Quick Reply: Please help to identify this part