C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

No power too both sides open/lock switches 1984

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 03:09 PM
Al B
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No power too both sides open/lock switches 1984

Was working on drivers side replacing worn open/close switch
Had too cut wiring, orange-blue=black
Grounded one of the wiring causing no power too passenger & drivers side open / lock switches
Book states the cavity that says Hatch controls drivers & passenger sides
Have Power too all other fuses except the cavity that says Hatch . DEAD
Is there an inline fuse someplace else ?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:33 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Does that one have fuseable links behind the battery?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:19 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

First main links are at the starter on an 84 (also at the battery), none behind the battery.. Second, what book are you using?? My FSM shows a 35 amp Power Accy. circuit breaker and the ctsy fuse providing power to the door locks circuit. I'd question the no power to the hatch fuse, as it's powered by a fusible link that powers several other fuses..

Last edited by ccrazor; 08-26-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:11 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Al B
Was working on drivers side replacing worn open/close switch. Had to cut wiring, orange-blue=black. Grounded one of the wiring causing no power to passenger & drivers side open / lock switches. Book states the cavity that says Hatch controls drivers & passenger sides.
I'm kind of confused by your post. When you say "open/close switch", I think you mean Lock/Unlock switch. That switch has three wires, orange, blue, and black. If you shorted the black wire to ground, the CTSY/CLK fuse (15 A) should have blown. Any reference to the HATCH fuse is wrong. That's a totally different circuit. What book do you have that says that?

If the CTSY/CLK fuse blows, you will also loose everything else that is normally powered when the ignition is off.

Ccrazor's reference to the 35 A circuit breaker is for the Door Lock Relay circuit, but that's not in the door panel. That is behind the center information panel.

The lesson here is to always remove the negative battery cable when you're doing any electrical work. The other lesson is about: too, to, and two.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:59 AM
Al B
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all your responses. Thought I had checked all the fuses, one got by me.
love easy fixes
On my 96 blazer I went crazy trying too locate a flasher . Seems they had a number of flashers buried behind ash tray and I had too take apart that area too locate. Thankfull too forums and utube too help . My thinking was okay another buried inline fuse, reaching out too vette forum.
THANKS AGAIN

Get notified of new replies

To No power too both sides open/lock switches 1984

Quick Reply: No power too both sides open/lock switches 1984