C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

One more electrical issue question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:58 PM
mfoge5
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One more electrical issue question

I recently picked up an 88 and started having weird electrical gltches. Like when I got the car the pass. side directional arrow on the dash was always on but the blinker worked. One day driving it went off and the other went on then the next day it was back on. I replaced the amber bulbs in the front and nothing. I had problem in my 79 with the bulb sockets so i replaced the front one and everthing worked. driving to work the next morning after about 15 min my voltage started dropping quickly. I pulled of and downshifted and boom everything is fine again 13.7 volts, so i get back on the freeway and about 10 min later it starts again. I pull over and it keeps dropping down to 8 volts no lights if I rev the engine its about to dieso I pull the socket I replaced off and it started to run normally again. I read as much as possible about the dash and ground so I went and checked the grounds and cleaned them. Now my tail light fuse keeps blowing. Brakes and directionals work but tails dont. I went to check the grounds again and when I got to the pass side by the door hinge there were 2 and when I went to screww them back in there was a spark. I put the meter on the wire and its getting 6-7 volts and when I put the test lite on it it pulses..??? Not sure if the taillight fuse should be getting 12v always or not but it is. When I pull the radio fuse the wire isnt hot anymore... the wire goes into the harness so its hard to trace it.. wondering what could energize it like that I feel like im in the ballpark butnot sure how to isolate the problem... thanks fellas
Old 08-27-2016, 10:38 PM
SELLC
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Having a hard time understanding what is going on but it sounds like it's possible a relay is involved due to the pulsing.

Check for burnt wires, or insulation failure resulting in a short.

I'd would also check that area that was smoking.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:08 PM
mfoge5
5th Gear

I've checked the wires for anything that looks like a problem.. I don't understand how that ground wire is getting voltage ... I didn't see anything smoking though..
Old 08-28-2016, 12:35 AM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

This sounds like a grounding issue..

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/0...ground-issues/
Old 08-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by mfoge5
I've checked the wires for anything that looks like a problem.. I don't understand how that ground wire is getting voltage ... I didn't see anything smoking though..
electrons are a funny thing. in a complex circuit. if no ground is provided, they (the electrons) will seek another path. since these cars are heavily dependent on grounds, to me, most likely there is a floating ground (but just second guessing). I did have a similar tail-light/turn signal issue on my old 69 coupe. turned out to be a rear harness ground. good luck -

Last edited by Joe C; 08-28-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:53 PM
mfoge5
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Joe C
electrons are a funny thing. in a complex circuit. if no ground is provided, they (the electrons) will seek another path. since these cars are heavily dependent on grounds, to me, most likely there is a floating ground (but just second guessing). I did have a similar tail-light/turn signal issue on my old 69 coupe. turned out to be a rear harness ground. good luck -
That's one I haven't checked yet I'll give it a look and let you know.. This car only has 81k so it had been sitting some during its life and things are just needing to be cleaned and tightened but aside from taking it all apart I'm trying to do as much as I can and as needed right now... But she all definitely get there...thanks fellas for the thoughts ..
Old 08-30-2016, 04:02 AM
love2bully
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mfoge5

buy a Mercedes

Get notified of new replies

To One more electrical issue question

Quick Reply: One more electrical issue question