C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starter Solenoid issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:35 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Starter Solenoid issue?

Hello all,

1987 Corvette coupe 59000 miles automatic. Last year I replaced my front Y pipe with a new one minus the pre-cats. The heat shield was removed at this time. A short time later my starter began to act up. I read here that heat could get to the solenoid and cause premature failure. I asked my mechanic who installed the new one. He thought that there was plenty of air flow and a heat shield or heat wrap was not necessary. One year later my new starter is acting up again. First made a shriek sound as it started. Started fine for a while then the other day the starter spun like the car was already running. Seconds later it started up. I fear that the solenoid may be on the way to failure. Question is...Should I replace just the solenoid or the entire starter? This time I will wrap it with heat shield wrap. and get a better one. The current one is a Duralast.

Any suggestions on the best way to proceed so as to not get stuck somewhere,

Thanks again for any help,

Kevin

Last edited by Bugly87; 09-20-2016 at 08:56 PM. Reason: edit a symptom
Old 09-20-2016, 11:18 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

You probably just got a poor quality rebuild. In most cases the starter and solenoid drive just need to be cleaned and lubed. Don't be afraid to take it apart. Nothing will come flying out if you do.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:35 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

The symptoms of a starter with heat soak issues are pretty much the same as a weak battery. The engine will not turn over or turn over slowly. Wait 15-20 minutes and it will start just fine.

Your symptoms sound like a failing solenoid. Most likely nothing to do with the missing heat shield.

Hopefully your mechanic installed a starter/solenoid with a lifetime warranty.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:35 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by jv9999
You probably just got a poor quality rebuild. In most cases the starter and solenoid drive just need to be cleaned and lubed. Don't be afraid to take it apart. Nothing will come flying out if you do.

I have long tube headers and do not have starter issues, a word of warning the exhaust wrap will shorten your header life.

I had a new set of wrapped headers last only a year before they got so thin I could poke holes in the headers with my finger, I went to headman HTC coated headers Ceramic coating in and out to keep heat down and protect the headers from melting.

I recommend a aftermarket mini starter, they are cheap at a hundred bucks, mine has lasted several years and still going strong.
The bonus is the solenoid can be indexed (moved to clear some headers)

Don't forget to check the starter relay in the center dash I think, a starter solenoid repair kit may be all you need.
The disc thing with a spring gets carbon build up from arcing, easy to replace.

Do you hear the starter solenoid "click" Or is it silent nothing happening when you turn the key.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:10 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugly87
Hello all,

1987 Corvette coupe 59000 miles automatic. Last year I replaced my front Y pipe with a new one minus the pre-cats. The heat shield was removed at this time. A short time later my starter began to act up. I read here that heat could get to the solenoid and cause premature failure. I asked my mechanic who installed the new one. He thought that there was plenty of air flow and a heat shield or heat wrap was not necessary. One year later my new starter is acting up again. First made a shriek sound as it started. Started fine for a while then the other day the starter spun like the car was already running. Seconds later it started up. I fear that the solenoid may be on the way to failure. Question is...Should I replace just the solenoid or the entire starter? This time I will wrap it with heat shield wrap. and get a better one. The current one is a Duralast.

Thanks again for any help,

Kevin
Duralast starters, IMO are basically the kind you put on a car you are selling. It's cheap and it works. For how long, nobody knows. Here is how I think it works. The lifetime warranty is based on you selling the car so you won't claim it. Next sucker has to buy it again.

In and of itself, I have no problem with a duralast unless I want it to last. If I had a duralast, I'd get a good rebuilder to rebuild it for me so it has what I want in it and not something with a "Made in WORSE than China" stamped on it.

I'm running a mini starter. No, before you ask, it ain't cheap. Nothing good ever is. Like said, it can be indexed if you need to and it has lasted with me having LT headers and NO wrap or coating.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:54 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I agree with the others on considering a high torque mini starter.

Had a '79 Camaro some time back that suffered from heat soak issues. Mini starter was the answer.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:53 PM
spiderbob
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question re: resolution of your problem.

Originally Posted by Bugly87
Hello all,

Thanks again for any help,m

Kevin

new to the forum, so I have a couple of questions:
1. What was the resolution of your issue?
2...I am experiencing similar issues with intermittent display on but not even a click. Some time later my 87 starts fine. I am preparing to install a rebuilt starter and found shims in the kit. Most starters I have replaced were on Fords and never used shims. How do I determine if shims are needed, and if so how many?

Thanks, Bob
Old 09-17-2018, 08:31 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderbob

new to the forum, so I have a couple of questions:
1. What was the resolution of your issue?
2...I am experiencing similar issues with intermittent display on but not even a click. Some time later my 87 starts fine. I am preparing to install a rebuilt starter and found shims in the kit. Most starters I have replaced were on Fords and never used shims. How do I determine if shims are needed, and if so how many?

Thanks, Bob
On a 2 year old thread? Don't know if the OP is really actively monitoring it. I know I don't.

https://www.enginelabs.com/news/powe...-a-gm-starter/

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Solenoid issue?

Quick Reply: Starter Solenoid issue?