C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust Shopping

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Chris**
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust Shopping

Hey everyone, I'm shopping for full length headers and a big part of the equation is what I put behind the header. Does anyone sell a nice header to muffler/ tips kit or are most having an exhaust shop fab these? I would like to run true duals with a x pipe but no cats. I think pypes has a kit but I never hear much about their reputation. What's the best approach?

Thanks for all help!

Chris
Old 09-21-2016, 11:00 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

What do you want to achieve and what is your budget?

I drive all year round when I can. That means in winter, you might get a little salt even when the road is dry. Sure you can take the car to a wash at the end of the day or whatever but I would rather have a system made of metal that is more resistant to salt and will last.

I have no idea how much longer someone is making parts for this car so the less I have to replace the better. With that, I prefer something in the SS 304 region.

I'm not against getting something fabbed up but I want it to be done right and not some moron welding pipes to make life easy. Saw someone with a system that was all welded up and asked him how it works if he has to take it apart. So if you get it fabbed up, make sure the person isn't taking the shortest cut.

Unlike the rice community, I prefer my car running as silent as possible but preference at that time gave way to price so I went with Borla. If I had to do it again and the price was right, I'd go Corsa.

No cat makes it noisy as all hell. I tried it before and put the cat back.

I got the TPIS headers. Very easy install and the plugs are super easy to get to. Good stuff doesn't come cheap and cheap stuff isn't good.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:11 PM
Chris**
Advanced

Does borla and corsa make anything that is header back or just cat back?

I'm looking for a kit that's header back and not crazy expensive.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:20 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Chris**
Does borla and corsa make anything that is header back or just cat back?

I'm looking for a kit that's header back and not crazy expensive.
Borla is cat back. You might need a Y pipe to merge the 2 exhaust banks into 1 and into the cat and then exhaust
Old 09-22-2016, 09:40 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

As a Borla owner on a '91 I would never buy another. Drone-a-matic just miserable to drive for more than 1 hour.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:42 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
As a Borla owner on a '91 I would never buy another. Drone-a-matic just miserable to drive for more than 1 hour.
Do you have cats?
Old 09-28-2016, 10:29 PM
jagriffinsf
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Any update on this? I already bought some cheap headman headers and would like to convert to dual exhaust with an H-pipe.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:28 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

I have a melrose system on my c4, i love the sound of the headers + xpipe over 3k rpm.

Also it has a nice low rpm rumble, install went pretty smoothly as well.

I installed a hanger bracket from a lt1 equipped c4 (spring type) and a pair of exhaust hangers from a C6 in the back.
They were a perfect fit for the lower control arm bolts on the rear end.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:31 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

I also learned while deciding xpipe or h pipe that the xpipe is more efficient, and it also leads to a higher pitched tone vs an hpipe.

I was unsure but i think the pitch i got fits a corvette perfectly.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Chris**
Advanced

I liked the melrose kit because it was complete but read some mixed reviews, you like your?

Edit* I just checked the melrose page by the time you pay for the coating and shipping they're only 100$ less than ARH so probably going to go that route.

Gibbles, what did you use for the axel back?

Last edited by Chris**; 10-01-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:54 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

I was actually able to take my factory mufflers that are 2 1/4in and i had a muffler shop expand the couplers to fit the 2 1/2in pipe.

however i have a set of flow master 40's with a 3in inlet and dual 2 1/2 outlets.

I'm planning on running 3in all the way back when i have the time to complete it.

The coating on the headers have been holding up great, the install was tight and i did need to work the fittings to get a perfect fit, but overall i love the setup.

The muffler shop also told me the pipe would split when they expanded it, but i told them to try anyways.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:07 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

A few points also... I needed gaskets, and i doubled up the gaskets for clearance.
i have edlebrock straight plug heads, the number 2 plug was tight doubled gasket gave me clearance for my msd race plug boots.
My number 5 plug is behind a header tube, triple gaskets and it's still tight to remove the plug boot.
i found i need to loosen the header to gain 1/8 or 1/4 in.

It's possible the issue is with the aftermarket heads, however angle plug heads would have been perfect.

I also did not receive any O2 sensor plugs, i needed one.
not a big deal as they were pretty cheap off of amazon.

Last edited by Gibbles; 10-01-2016 at 10:10 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gibbles:
BV85 (10-01-2016), Chris** (10-01-2016), jagriffinsf (10-01-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Shopping

Quick Reply: Exhaust Shopping