C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 01:18 PM
Gdalegonalot
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Starting Issues

My1989 C4 stopped cold 6 years ago while driving. Towed it home. I'm a good mechanic with a lot of tools. No codes, replaced fuel pump, relay and filter. 40psi at the rail. Replaced all distributor components, plugs, wires. Tried a different MAF and computer. New battery. Checked timing, OHMS at the injectors and all ground straps. This summer it started five days in a row, would run for 4-5 minutes and then die. Now, tries but will not start. Most of my hair is already pulled out.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:22 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Do you have spark to the cylinders? Are the injectors firing?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by Gdalegonalot
My1989 C4 stopped cold 6 years ago while driving. Towed it home. I'm a good mechanic with a lot of tools. No codes, replaced fuel pump, relay and filter. 40psi at the rail. Replaced all distributor components, plugs, wires. Tried a different MAF and computer. New battery. Checked timing, OHMS at the injectors and all ground straps. This summer it started five days in a row, would run for 4-5 minutes and then die. Now, tries but will not start. Most of my hair is already pulled out.
Why did you replace all those things? Timing check is great, Ohm test is misleading and checking grounds straps is great.

HOWEVER, why is it not starting? ASSUMING you have a good fuel pump, you should be getting 40+ psi at the rails when you are doing a WOT run IN GEAR. That will show us that the pressure is holding up under load.

So, when it doesn't start, did you check spark and fuel pressure?
Old 09-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Gdalegonalot
8th Gear

As I indicated in my message, "This summer it started five days in a row, would run for 4-5 minutes and then die"

It ran well on all 8 cylinders, meaning that timing, fuel PSI, injectors, etc., are working as they should. It tries to start, but can't quite make it.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

As I indicated in my message, "This summer it started five days in a row, would run for 4-5 minutes and then die"

It ran well on all 8 cylinders, meaning that timing, fuel PSI, injectors, etc., are working as they should. It tries to start, but can't quite make it.
Meaning it RAN like it should. Till it didn't.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:07 AM
Gdalegonalot
8th Gear

Yup!
Old 09-24-2016, 09:41 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Yup!
When it fails, test fuel and spark. What is the pressure at failure point? Does it have spark and what quality?
Old 09-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Gdalegonalot
8th Gear

OK, I'll take your suggestion by leaving the fuel pressure gauge hooked up and installing my spark tester before attempting to start the car.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Starting Issues

Quick Reply: C4 Starting Issues