C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 LT1 Brakes finally fixed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 04:31 PM
Hernandk
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 92 LT1 Brakes finally fixed!!

I have had My 92 LT1 ragtop for almost 2 years now. It has been plagued with the infamous hard pedal brake problem since I bought it. I have searched the forums for a fix, but never found anything conclusive. I have replaced everything in the system, including the master cylinder, booster, pump (twice), computer, pads, and rotors and calipers. And of course multiple bleeding. I even bought a Tech1 scanner to diagnose it. All to no avail. I was beginning to think I had gotten a bad booster. Yesterday, I decided to try another set of pads. I replaced the PFC Carbon Metalic pads with Duralast Golds. I was expecting more disappointment, but the car stops great now! I have never felt the anti-skid kick in before today! The PFC pads were glazed to a super slick surface. It was so bad before that I had to plan my stops.
I have always been a fan of the PFC Carbon Metallics, but now I will stick with Duralasts. After chasing my tail for 2 years, I finally have brakes that stop me like I expected a Corvette should.
I hope this helps someone else who is experiencing terrible brakes in their C4!
The following users liked this post:
kenmohr (09-26-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 04:43 PM
Hernandk
Heel & Toe

Old 09-25-2016, 04:54 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 919 Posts

A useful reminder to all of us to remember to not overlook the basics when troubleshooting anything. Congrats on solving the problem. Nice looking car, too, BTW.

Live well,

SJW
Hernandk (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 05:48 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Well beyond a nice looking car!
Hernandk (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 07:48 PM
Hernandk
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the compliments! When I bought this car I was looking for a project, it had a fresh engine, so I tackled the interior first, then painted it piece by piece myself. I had the top replaced (the only thing that I didn't do myself) and then decided I wanted a 6 speed. With a donor car to take all the 6 speed parts off of, and the help of lots of info on this forum, I got it all done. I had to take it apart again to fix a tranny input shaft leak with the help of ZF DOC, who just happens to live in my state. He had the parts and tools. Great guy! I drove up there on Memorial Day weekend and also had him install his short throw shifter. I love it! I've spent lots of $$ at ecklers and other sites but I'm finally out of stuff to do to it. Except for driving it of course!

Last edited by Hernandk; 09-25-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:15 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Good to hear your issue is fixed and the car looks great.
Hernandk (09-30-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 92 LT1 Brakes finally fixed!!

Quick Reply: 92 LT1 Brakes finally fixed!!