C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C 1993 Auto System

Old 09-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default A/C 1993 Auto System

This is for my New to me 1993.
I Need Some information on my A/C System. I have the auto control A/C system. The system has been charged. I noticed the Compressor clutch cycles on and . This is at an outside temperature of 65 degrees with the system set at 60 degrees. It doesw get cool enough to maintain with in 5 degrees. Is this correct operation with the auto system? Does this system have a re-cycling clutch?
Thanks, Barrier
Old 09-26-2016, 12:45 PM
rickcarol
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrier
This is for my New to me 1993.
I Need Some information on my A/C System. I have the auto control A/C system. The system has been charged. I noticed the Compressor clutch cycles on and . This is at an outside temperature of 65 degrees with the system set at 60 degrees. It doesw get cool enough to maintain with in 5 degrees. Is this correct operation with the auto system? Does this system have a re-cycling clutch?
Thanks, Barrier
The 1993 system uses an orifice tube. The orifice tube allows refrigerant to flow at a constant rate and has no moving parts. Systems with an orifice tube automatically turn the AC system on and off to regulate the flow of refrigerant to the evaporator. So assuming the system has been properly charged (best way to check is with gauges to read actual hi & lo side pressures) cycling should occur. This assumes the pressure switch is also working okay which is why it's a good idea to check the actual pressures. There can be high pressures so be sure to stay safe if working on the system.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:59 PM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Rickcarol, Thanks for the response!
The system was professionally recharged. I just noticed it was recycling, I knew some systems worked like that I was not sure if this one did.
You have cleared it up for me about the orifice tube.
Barrier

Originally Posted by rickcarol
The 1993 system uses an orifice tube. The orifice tube allows refrigerant to flow at a constant rate and has no moving parts. Systems with an orifice tube automatically turn the AC system on and off to regulate the flow of refrigerant to the evaporator. So assuming the system has been properly charged (best way to check is with gauges to read actual hi & lo side pressures) cycling should occur. This assumes the pressure switch is also working okay which is why it's a good idea to check the actual pressures. There can be high pressures so be sure to stay safe if working on the system.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C 1993 Auto System

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C 1993 Auto System