C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

VSS H72 Code 94 LT1Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:51 PM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default VSS H72 Code 94 LT1Automatic

Hello fellow C4 owners. I have a H72 code in Module 9 that seems to cause my vette to go into limp mode. The fan starts way to early and it just seems to run a little rough. The speedo works. My question is would't the speedo not work if the VSS is throwing a code? I did a search but did not find anything similar to what I am experiencing. I did order a VSS and they said that if it did not work they would take it back. They know me well at the parts store so they made an exception.
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:33 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

How doing long time no see. might just be a bad or dirty connection.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Indio Monk
Instructor

[QUOTE=antfarmer2;1593151499]How doing long time no see. might just be a bad or dirty connection. [/QUOTE

Been awhile! Hope all is well. I have done some work on the c4 I changed the radiator and expansion tank and now feel comfortable about the cooling system. The water Pump you have me is doing well .

I had a Tranny Leak so I had a shop change the front pump seal and the rear main. They had to do it twice. Now I am getting the VSS code. I checked connections they look good. This weekend I am going to change out the VSS and my right side 02 sensor (passenger) I am throwing a H64 code also.
Oh yeah. I changed my valve cover gaskets, and tranny pan gasket. The list goes on! Still need to do my seat covers, weather stripping etc.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:36 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio Monk
Hello fellow C4 owners. I have a H72 code in Module 9 that seems to cause my vette to go into limp mode. The fan starts way to early and it just seems to run a little rough. The speedo works. My question is would't the speedo not work if the VSS is throwing a code? I did a search but did not find anything similar to what I am experiencing. I did order a VSS and they said that if it did not work they would take it back. They know me well at the parts store so they made an exception.
Thanks in advance.

If you haven't picked up the VSS I believe you can just not purchase it and save the argument. YOU SAID MODULE 9 and I believe that MODULE 9 is ABS/ASR

The 72 you've referenced if a PCM fault, just indicates signal LOST - doesn't mean VSS is bad. Bad VSS I believe will display a 24 in the correct module.

Recheck maybe your references to MODULE and CODE then post back.

Maybe I missed something BUT it doesn't seem so ...

You mention the shop had to do their service TWICE ... I'd say that's where your 72 came from and I'd have all of their work checked and rechecked - I'm not familiar at all with 4L60E ABS/ASR but if I were you I'd be educating myself.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-29-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:15 PM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If you haven't picked up the VSS I believe you can just not purchase it and save the argument. YOU SAID MODULE 9 and I believe that MODULE 9 is ABS/ASR

The 72 you've referenced if a PCM fault, just indicates signal LOST - doesn't mean VSS is bad. Bad VSS I believe will display a 24 in the correct module.

You mention the shop had to do their service TWICE ... I'd say that's where your 72 came from and I'd have all of their work checked and rechecked - I'm not familiar at all with 4L60E ABS/ASR but if I were you I'd be educating myself.
Thanks for the feedback.
On the display i see.
Then C12 (Diagnostics)
Then 1.
- --
H64
4. - - -
H72
9. - - -
A.- - -

Maybe I used the wrong terminology when i said Module 9.
I see a DTC 72 in my FSM and it says VSS
I think H (Stands for History) 72 stands for VSS Code.

I don't fully understand why the On Board Diagnostics has a part
and
A.

I had them check all the connections and I looked with them when the car was up on the lift. I think they just banged the VSS and maybe that is why it is erroring out. It is just a guess on my part. That or a bad ground.
The H64 code seems to be the Right O 2 sensor.
Thanks!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:19 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

[QUOTE=Indio Monk;1593152388]
Originally Posted by antfarmer2
How doing long time no see. might just be a bad or dirty connection. [/QUOTE

Been awhile! Hope all is well. I have done some work on the c4 I changed the radiator and expansion tank and now feel comfortable about the cooling system. The water Pump you have me is doing well .

I had a Tranny Leak so I had a shop change the front pump seal and the rear main. They had to do it twice. Now I am getting the VSS code. I checked connections they look good. This weekend I am going to change out the VSS and my right side 02 sensor (passenger) I am throwing a H64 code also.
Oh yeah. I changed my valve cover gaskets, and tranny pan gasket. The list goes on! Still need to do my seat covers, weather stripping etc.
Going good here but am sending my wife to Thailand for her health say a prayer for us. If you are doing the o2 do both front ones at the same time do NOT do just one do not bother with the one in the back. You can get the o2 socket set from oriely's for free for a $20 deposit use the short one the pass side is a bit harder your little hands will be a blessing.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 09-29-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:47 PM
Indio Monk
Instructor

[QUOTE=antfarmer2;1593157097]

Going good here but am sending my wife to Thailand for her health say a prayer for us. If you are doing the o2 do both front ones at the same time do NOT do just one do not bother with the one in the back. You can get the o2 socket set from oriely's for free for a $20 deposit use the short one the pass side is a bit harder your little hands will be a blessing.
Just said a prayer for your wife.
If you are up this way visiting your son come on by for a
The following users liked this post:
antfarmer2 (09-29-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 10:09 AM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1

I double checked grounds took battery out checked ABS Fuse. I am going to lift car tomorrow and double check VSS and connector and change out oxygen sensor right bank. I tested ICM and it tests good. I took it to two places for testing. I am going to research what wires might be PINCHED if the tranny is dropped to change front seal. If I think that is the case I am going to take it back to the shop. Wish me luck. Trying to get this baby back on the road again!
Old 09-30-2016, 10:58 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I double checked grounds took battery out checked ABS Fuse. I am going to lift car tomorrow and double check VSS and connector and change out oxygen sensor right bank. I tested ICM and it tests good. I took it to two places for testing. I am going to research what wires might be PINCHED if the tranny is dropped to change front seal. If I think that is the case I am going to take it back to the shop. Wish me luck. Trying to get this baby back on the road again!
I wish you would change both o2s at the same time why would you put in a miss matched set. but it is your car.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:14 AM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I wish you would change both o2s at the same time why would you put in a miss matched set. but it is your car.
Good point. I do have two so might as well change both. I am getting the DTC on the passenger side sensor so that is why I am going to change that first. But you are right I think the last time per my records that the driver side sensor was changed was about 20k/6 years ago per previous owners receipts/records.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:20 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Good point. I do have two so might as well change both. I am getting the DTC on the passenger side sensor so that is why I am going to change that first. But you are right I think the last time per my records that the driver side sensor was changed was about 20k/6 years ago per previous owners receipts/records.

No you have three but the one in the back I do not change. They work together with the puter do not want them confusing things.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:54 PM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Changed right o2 sensor and no more codes! This one looks like original with 100k miles!
Old 09-30-2016, 06:57 PM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Changed right o2 sensor and no more codes! This one looks like original with 100k miles!
I went to AutoBone for two sensors since the ones from Rock Auto were only two wired. Autozone only had one so I changed right side and it works. The driver side is the newer one so hopefully it will work until I get a new one. The VSS was ordered but did not come in so I will just return it.

Now for the other projects. I need to change injectors and fuel filter .. interior work floppy doors seats etc. front bumper touch up paint weather stripping .. list goes on!

Get notified of new replies

To VSS H72 Code 94 LT1Automatic

Quick Reply: VSS H72 Code 94 LT1Automatic