C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Broken screws in throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:26 PM
ZCarr
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Broken screws in throttle body

I broke two screws while taking apart my throttle body. Has anyone else done this and if so how did you fix it. I have a decent amount of the screw body left to get a tool on. I was going to heat it with a plumbers torch and hit them with penetrating oil a few times. Any other ideas
Old 09-28-2016, 11:29 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

That or the oldtimers used beeswax. just take your time.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:38 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by ZCarr
I broke two screws while taking apart my throttle body. Has anyone else done this and if so how did you fix it. I have a decent amount of the screw body left to get a tool on. I was going to heat it with a plumbers torch and hit them with penetrating oil a few times. Any other ideas

if you mean 2 of the 4 plenum mounting bolts....and if you have some 'stud' sticking out, here is what i'd do:

be careful with the heat near the aluminium plenum surface. i'd actually grab tinfoil and protect the plenum surface but that is just me being paranoid about way that fixing one problem often leads the creation of a new problem. happend many times on my 85.

heat cycle the studs twice then take a mix of 50/50 atf/acetone. i use a small oiling can and it has this 50/50 mix in it for these bad days.

as the studs are cooling, keep hitting it with the 50/50 mix. it will get sucked in.

now use the stud extractor on it. you can try a quality set of vice grips but i have found that the cheap ones do not have enough grip to work.

when i broke a few bolts on the 85, i either had to get a mobile welder to weld on a nut, which sucks, or, i had to buy sacrificial sockets that were too small to fit over the stud, and then pound them over the stud with a mini sledge hammer, and then toss the socket out with the stud when it backed out.

hope that helps, be careful with the aluminum.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:03 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Default what screws???

are you talking about the screws [#62] holding the IACV cover assembly to the bottom of the throttle body? the cover's held on with (I think) seven, torx head screws - size, not sure, somewhere in the 3 or 4 mm range (they might be M3-.5 X 20, but just guessing).

as I recall, I broke three during a TB rebuild years ago. those little boogers get rusted and frozen in place from coolant running thru the TB. over time, coolant works it's way past the gasket to the screws holding the cover in place. the screws are kind of small, and it doesn't take much torque to snap the heads off. hopefully, you still have some threads remaining. it's been a few years, but it seems to me, I clamped the TB in a vice, upside-down, used JB penetrating fluid, clamped, small vice grips, on the exposed thread, and carefully worked the things loose. I did have success getting all three screws out. they're small, so you need to be extremely careful. take your time - don't rush anything.

suggestion: I did find replacement screws in stainless at my local hardware store - only difference, they were allen head vs torx. also, I applied a light coating of anti-seize to the threads during reassembly. note: my 85's FSM specs the torque value on those screws at 27 lbs.in. (DOUBLE CHECK for your application). I serviced the same throttle body earlier this year, and was able to remove all the screws without any problems.

good luck....

Last edited by Joe C; 09-29-2016 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:02 PM
ZCarr
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe C
are you talking about the screws [#62] holding the IACV cover assembly to the bottom of the throttle body? the cover's held on with (I think) seven, torx head screws - size, not sure, somewhere in the 3 or 4 mm range (they might be M3-.5 X 20, but just guessing).

as I recall, I broke three during a TB rebuild years ago. those little boogers get rusted and frozen in place from coolant running thru the TB. over time, coolant works it's way past the gasket to the screws holding the cover in place. the screws are kind of small, and it doesn't take much torque to snap the heads off. hopefully, you still have some threads remaining. it's been a few years, but it seems to me, I clamped the TB in a vice, upside-down, used JB penetrating fluid, clamped, small vice grips, on the exposed thread, and carefully worked the things loose. I did have success getting all three screws out. they're small, so you need to be extremely careful. take your time - don't rush anything.

suggestion: I did find replacement screws in stainless at my local hardware store - only difference, they were allen head vs torx. also, I applied a light coating of anti-seize to the threads during reassembly. note: my 85's FSM specs the torque value on those screws at 27 lbs.in. (DOUBLE CHECK for your application). I serviced the same throttle body earlier this year, and was able to remove all the screws without any problems.

good luck....
It's the number 26 screws. They look rusted from the coolant. I have two of them that snapped at the heads leaving me a decent amount of stud to work with.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

It's the number 26 screws. They look rusted from the coolant. I have two of them that snapped at the heads leaving me a decent amount of stud to work with.
Depending on which ones, you might be able to forget about them altogether if you do the coolant bypass.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:17 PM
Joe C
Race Director

number 26 - ??? - do you mean 62? soak them with penetrating fluid over night. take your time....
Old 09-29-2016, 03:57 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

I assumed the OP's mention of 26 was intended to be 62 so .....................

To ID the screw dimensions I might try the plenum extension screw for fit. The plenum extension screw is M4X.7 and I've seen that mentioned for IAC cover to throttle body for the B210 throttle body.

M4X.7 pan head should be an easy find and SS TORX look to be maybe 16, 20 & 25mm long most often. I seem to recall 23 being mentioned but I certainly can't confirm. I'd think likely 2 different lengths. DO NOT KNOW - never had one!

Post back if you try the plenum extension screw and it fit. That would confirm diameter/pitch.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-29-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:21 PM
ZCarr
Racer

Sorry, I meant 62. That problem made math a nightmare. After soaking the screw in Seafoam deep creep all night I was able to remove them with no drama. I need to find a suitable replacement for them. Picked up the crank rods and Pistons so it looks like the engine build is on for this weekend.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:28 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Sorry, I meant 62. That problem made math a nightmare. After soaking the screw in Seafoam deep creep all night I was able to remove them with no drama. I need to find a suitable replacement for them. Picked up the crank rods and Pistons so it looks like the engine build is on for this weekend.
- take one of your originals down to your local ACE hardware - they should fix you up with a suitable stainless replacement. i'm just about 100% positive they are all the same length - at least they were on my 85 and both 90's -

Last edited by Joe C; 09-29-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:15 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Grainger or Fastenal has about every fastener known to man or can order it.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken screws in throttle body

Quick Reply: Broken screws in throttle body