C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

why so many dreams of putting heavy iron lsx truck motor in c4

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 08:57 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default why so many dreams of putting heavy iron lsx truck motor in c4

im not sure why i keep reading these posts about trying to get an iron 5.3 or 4.8 lsx truck motor into a c4.

the c4 is a sportscar. i would be trying to put in a lighterweight alum block lsx - or no lsx at all.

ported afr195 heads flow the same as stock ls3 heads so you could easily swap out stock l98/lt1 heads for little work. put a better intake on the l98 while you are at it.

its also my understanding that an iron block lsx motor weighs more than an iron block ltx or small block chevy.

for those with optispark woes, try using a quality oem part, not some made in china crap.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 10-02-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:30 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
for those with optispark woes, try using a quality oem part, not some made in china crap.
To my knowledge, mitsubishi no long makes OPTISPARK replacements so that option of OEM replacement is not available.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:41 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by kg4fku
To my knowledge, mitsubishi no long makes OPTISPARK replacements so that option of OEM replacement is not available.
if you look hard enough on ebay, or put a post in the for sale section here - you can get lucky.

you have to ask the right questions. if it comes in a tattered box that looks like its been sitting around for years, then yes thats probably a genuine oem.

if they advertise they have 50 'new' ones with the grey opaque cap (where you can see the electrode paths), then no thats prob a mexico//china one

most newbs though dont want to pay $450 for a genuine nos one vs $60 for a cardone one.

and then come here to rant when there $60 purchase didnt work out so well
Old 10-02-2016, 09:57 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes you may get lucky and find a NOS unit and then again you may not. You could play the odds and not find a NOS unit for months if you find one at all. On top of that, it takes a lot of effort to replace the OPTISPARK in the first place.

Point is
1. How much longer do you think those NOS units will be around? Once the NOS units are gone then they are gone.

2. How much longer do you think the aftermarket will even produce "cheap" replacement units that are used on only the LT series engine and only produced from 91-97 on specific GM cars?

3. There are other items on the LT motors that are no longer supported or soon to be non supported like the water pump drive gear assembly. Oh and lets not forget ancillaries like transmissions. For those of us with the ZF6, try to find replacement parts or even a DMF and clutch replacement. How about a doug-nash 4+3?

The OPTISPARK is merely a small piece to the overall larger obsolete parts puzzle. I get the desire to move to an LS motor as parts are more readily available and it has a much larger aftermarket following. If that LS happens to be a 5.3 or 4.8 then so be it. Usually that decision is based on money at the time and any LS can be upgraded across the board as they are all based on the same architecture.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:49 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

from what i read on thirdgen from some lq9 swappers,
iron head l98 is a wash, aluminum head l98 is lighter than lq9 6.0 by 60lbs.

the obvious answer is $$
Old 10-02-2016, 11:21 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by kg4fku
Yes you may get lucky and find a NOS unit and then again you may not. You could play the odds and not find a NOS unit for months if you find one at all. On top of that, it takes a lot of effort to replace the OPTISPARK in the first place.

Point is
1. How much longer do you think those NOS units will be around? Once the NOS units are gone then they are gone.

2. How much longer do you think the aftermarket will even produce "cheap" replacement units that are used on only the LT series engine and only produced from 91-97 on specific GM cars?

3. There are other items on the LT motors that are no longer supported or soon to be non supported like the water pump drive gear assembly. Oh and lets not forget ancillaries like transmissions. For those of us with the ZF6, try to find replacement parts or even a DMF and clutch replacement. How about a doug-nash 4+3?

The OPTISPARK is merely a small piece to the overall larger obsolete parts puzzle. I get the desire to move to an LS motor as parts are more readily available and it has a much larger aftermarket following. If that LS happens to be a 5.3 or 4.8 then so be it. Usually that decision is based on money at the time and any LS can be upgraded across the board as they are all based on the same architecture.
i agree a swap to an lsx (modern computer, none of the optispark hassles) makes a lot of sense and will be what i do next.

however i am not going to put a heavy iron block lsx truck motor into my sportscar.

im gonna go alum block ls3. i dont care if the heavy iron truck ls motor can be bought for $3k cheapr

Last edited by dizwiz24; 10-02-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:54 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

AFR heads are $$$ compared to something like ls3 heads which I have seen for sale for $400 for a set. On the street the iron block weight wouldn't be noticeable. How much does an iron block aluminum headed gen 1 with an aluminum intake setup weigh? That's another thing: those composite manifolds are dirt cheap, are dry, and weigh way less than gen 1 performance intakes.

LS is just better. All the parts better. I love gen 1 stuff too but it cost more $$$ just to get one to base LS power levels. Gotta love those LS engine management units too as it's dirt cheap and lots of room to tune it with. Do some hot gen 1 fuel infected motor then you gotta shell out big bucks for an aftermarket efi system to run it. Unless you're one of the handful of tuning wizards who can make a 427 sbc pull 6800 off a stock 165 MAF, you're shelling out more money for engine management that can get the job done right the first time.

A little boost on a 5.3 goes a long way. I used to have my doubts about the LS train versus aftermarket but when you rack up a build bill on a gen 1 and cross shop the LS stuff, it's almost a joke.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,937 Posts

i agree a swap to an lsx (modern computer, none of the optispark hassles) makes a lot of sense and will be what i do next.

however i am not going to put a heavy iron block lsx truck motor into my sportscar.

im gonna go alum block ls3. i dont care if the heavy iron truck ls motor can be bought for $3k cheapr
Lets talk weight if you like. How heavy is the LS aluminum vs the iron vs L98?
Old 10-02-2016, 01:30 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

A 6.0 truck with factory alum heads weighs about the same as a sbc with alum heads and it can make great power with a cam change. In the end the cost to power ratio probably goes to the ls1 engine, with similar weight. If you go to an alum ls1 then the weight is also less.

Last edited by bjankuski; 10-02-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:09 PM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Lets talk weight if you like. How heavy is the LS aluminum vs the iron vs L98?
The weight difference is negligible between an iron block LSX and an L98. The aluminum LSX will save you around 80-90 pounds if I recall correctly. It doesn't make much difference in handling if the car was designed for an iron block like the C4 is. I would save a few bucks and go with an iron block LSX in a C4.

On the other hand, in some cars it will upset the balance. Like say an RX7, that was not designed for an iron block V8, you will notice the car push more in turns. It was even more pronounced than I thought it would be. I've had both an LS1 and an iron 5.3 in the RX7, and you can definitely feel the difference.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:23 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

They make power easy
Super strong blocks
Still dont know where all these cheap deals on em are still cost bux out here. Remember the cost of EFI or if you carb the MSD youre still married to that.
Like the bigger ci ones GMPP sells a 454 lsx crate thats about all youll ever need with all the stuff ready to go conttollers harnesses no tuning etc
Old 10-03-2016, 01:48 PM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Still dont know where all these cheap deals on em are still cost bux out here. Remember the cost of EFI or if you carb the MSD youre still married to that.
Like the bigger ci ones GMPP sells a 454 lsx crate thats about all youll ever need with all the stuff ready to go conttollers harnesses no tuning etc
Most people don't literally means LSX when they say LSX, especially if they use the word cheap in the same sentence. I do it often, but I just mean LSXYorZ. You can piece meal together a pretty inexpensive iron 5.3/6.0 using used GM stuff. It's starting to make more sense $ wise, when an opti cost you the same as a junkyard long block. Makes even more sense if you've got time and some fab skills...

Last edited by 5.7LSleeper; 10-03-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:53 PM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 189 Posts

If I remember, there is only an 18 lb weight difference between an L98 and an iron block LS. The LS engines are incredibly stout in stock form. I've done dozens of builds. There is very much a reason people are swapping them into everything.

For example, the aluminum 5.3 in my Nova cost me $800 complete with wiring, accessories, ECU. I put in a small 218/218 cam with .570/.570 on a 112 LSA, some PAC1218 valve springs and some head studs. Nothing else was touched. Stock truck intake and throttle body, stock truck exhaust manifold. Rest of valvetrain is 100% stock. Bottom end is 100% stock. I used the stock wiring harness and ECU. I have a billet Borg Warner S475 stuffing 18 PSI-24 PSI on pump gas. It will melt my 275 ET Pros from a 50 roll, and I can drive it all day every day with zero issues. I could never dream to make well over 700whp through an automatic on an almost 100% stock L98 long block and have it last for 2 years and several thousand miles, even with a few 30 PSI blasts.

Not to mention, I have $4000 in the entire swap and turbo setup.
I've done a couple of them for half that price recently.

Last edited by JoeNova; 10-03-2016 at 01:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
5.7LSleeper (10-04-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 01:59 PM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

^^^ That's how you do it. That's pretty much my plan for my RX7, only using an iron 5.3 I've got. Then the LS1/T56 is coming out and going into the C4
Old 10-03-2016, 04:46 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 5.7LSleeper
Most people don't literally means LSX when they say LSX, especially if they use the word cheap in the same sentence. I do it often, but I just mean LSXYorZ. You can piece meal together a pretty inexpensive iron 5.3/6.0 using used GM stuff. It's starting to make more sense $ wise, when an opti cost you the same as a junkyard long block. Makes even more sense if you've got time and some fab skills...
this. and i think alot of us just mean "LS" archetecture if that is a word. im new to this stuff. When i say LS swap, what i mean right now is an iron truck block, 6.0 or 5.3, and its computer, with an intake off an ls1, ls3, or ls6, with a mechanical throttle body linkage, onto a 700r4 or a zf6 or a 4.+3.

im a L98 early c4 Atari dash lover.

ive even looked at shavind down the teuck intakes but there would be the need for a small hood cowling which i dont want. the glass and repaint would cost more than an ls1 intake. but wow that'd be easy!

no doubt having an aluminium block would be the cats meow. Ive seen wrecked c5's up here in canada for 8k !!!! i can an lq4 or lq9 up here for 400$!!
Old 10-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

IMO The LS swap is really only hard with a C4 because of the drivetrain layout. C beam, engine shoved back, no transmission mounts, etc. I'm not sure it's worth the headaches of doing swap. Getting a LS C4 could be a different story. Dropping LS in almost anything other than a C4 is just a swap. I would only want a 6.0 or larger, but would prefer aluminum block.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:03 AM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
IMO The LS swap is really only hard with a C4 because of the drivetrain layout. C beam, engine shoved back, no transmission mounts, etc. I'm not sure it's worth the headaches of doing swap. Getting a LS C4 could be a different story. Dropping LS in almost anything other than a C4 is just a swap. I would only want a 6.0 or larger, but would prefer aluminum block.

It drops right into a C4 with the transmission on the stock position using the stock clamshell mounts with some $35 ICT Billet adapter plates.

With boost, engine size is almost completely irrelevant. The price gap between a 5.3 and 6.0 doesn't even really justify the power difference unless you have a certain goal in mind.

Get notified of new replies

To why so many dreams of putting heavy iron lsx truck motor in c4

Old 10-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If I was building a "Street" or track car my view would be different. The 6.0 was standard in Escalades shouldn't be that pricey. I prefer more bore than stroke that just me.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

im not sure why i keep reading these posts about trying to get an iron 5.3 or 4.8 lsx truck motor into a c4.
however i am not going to put a heavy iron block lsx truck motor into my sportscar
I mean....pretty much every Corvette ever made has a "truck motor" in it. Yours came with a "truck motor" in it. That's what makes it affordable power.
Only 'bespoke', "true sports car motor" that ever came in a Corvette that I can think of, is the LT5, which was one of the heaviest Corvette motors of all time (even though it was all aluminum).

Focus on the meaningful results...don't get wound up in the details that really don't matter, like block material.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:39 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^ this!!

Quick Reply: why so many dreams of putting heavy iron lsx truck motor in c4