C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 Corvette C4 Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 01:18 PM
Ved
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Corvette C4 Steering Rack

Hi Everybody,

I recently bought a 1986 Corvette C4 with the 4+3 manual transmission. The car is in decent condition but needs some work done on it. I've always been interested in working on a car and can now finally get started (although I am new to this).

I'm looking to get a new steering rack for the car and was wondering if there is anyone who could point me to the right one (or to a few that would fit), and perhaps a good supplier?

Best regards to all,

Ved
Old 10-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Rock auto...

[QUOTE=Ved;1593178606]Hi Everybody,

I recently bought a 1986 Corvette C4 with the 4+3 manual transmission. The car is in decent condition but needs some work done on it. I've always been interested in working on a car and can now finally get started (although I am new to this).

I'm looking to get a new steering rack for the car and was wondering if there is anyone who could point me to the right one (or to a few that would fit), and perhaps a good supplier?

Best regards to all,

Ved[/

Check Rock Auto.com. They should have the rack you need, as I've ordered a ton of parts from them.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:17 PM
Ved
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice, I'll check the website out. Much appreciated!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:02 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You should also look for a Z51 steering rack. This will provide a little quicker steering and it will bolt right in. It will also be a good idea to replace both outer tie rod ends when you install the new rack. I have had good success with MOOG units.

When checking for new or reman units, make sure you know whether or not there will be a core charge! Some places will add a core charge and to get a refund, you will have to send the old rack back to the supplier.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:25 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

I had turnone rebuild mine, they did a fantastic job.
they can also edit the rack if you choose (change ratio ect).

in these early years the racks had some issues, i had mine sleeved with stainless due to internal damage common to these early years.
my steering is what i call perfect, however part of my choice was because it's a 2.0 ratio z51 rack and i like the fast ratio.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:06 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I had mine rebuilt by Mid America Motorworks. They subcontracted with Lone Star Caliper Company to do the rebuild. I paid $100 core fee. The reason I went this way was because they sent me the rack by UPS. I used their box to send mine back to them. After weeks and weeks they sent me back my core. The obvious problems were that they apparently didn't clean the rack and they painted the whole thing black. I have polyurethane bushings in my car and removed the stock bushings from the rack. There was a LOT of dirt around the main bushing (under the paint). After installing, the "new" rack immediately started leaking.

Given the above, I would go with Turn One if I had to do this again. The problem with that is that you have to send your rack to them, which means you need to come up with a way to box it up for shipping.

You can buy a rack rebuild kit from AutoZone:

http://www.autozone.com/suspension-s...178160cmpid=cj

After reading this article, I decided that the rebuild would be too difficult to get right:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...inion-rebuild/
Old 10-05-2016, 12:14 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

PO installed what appears to be an Autozone rack in mine.

No problems. It works fine.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:39 AM
Ved
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gibbles
I had turnone rebuild mine, they did a fantastic job.
they can also edit the rack if you choose (change ratio ect).

in these early years the racks had some issues, i had mine sleeved with stainless due to internal damage common to these early years.
my steering is what i call perfect, however part of my choice was because it's a 2.0 ratio z51 rack and i like the fast ratio.
Thanks a lot for the great advice. I had a fast ratio installed. Works great, the car feels much more solid now!
Old 12-07-2016, 02:40 AM
Ved
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I had mine rebuilt by Mid America Motorworks. They subcontracted with Lone Star Caliper Company to do the rebuild. I paid $100 core fee. The reason I went this way was because they sent me the rack by UPS. I used their box to send mine back to them. After weeks and weeks they sent me back my core. The obvious problems were that they apparently didn't clean the rack and they painted the whole thing black. I have polyurethane bushings in my car and removed the stock bushings from the rack. There was a LOT of dirt around the main bushing (under the paint). After installing, the "new" rack immediately started leaking.

Given the above, I would go with Turn One if I had to do this again. The problem with that is that you have to send your rack to them, which means you need to come up with a way to box it up for shipping.

After reading this article, I decided that the rebuild would be too difficult to get right:

Thanks a lot for the great advice! Much appreciated.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

One point to make super clear as well, if your steering has morning sickness where it's hard to turn until warm then your rack is like mine was and it has to be sleeved.

I contacted several sellers while i planned down time for the car, that place out of texas that midmotorworks uses never replied on my questions about their process...

Turnone was very detailed when i asked, turnone is pricey, but the peace of mind knowing it's done was worth it.

And the challenge was the box...
Turnone suggested a ups store, but they charge a small fortune to box something like that.

What i did was to build my own box out of pieces of other boxes and liberal amounts of packing tape, i even used zip ties in a few areas to make sure it got there in one piece...

I wanted to see their reaction from my creation, but it made it there!

And the box that turnone shipped it back in was pretty simple, a basic box with zip ties holding it to the bottom.

My creation had cardboard supports and a structure!

Last edited by Gibbles; 12-07-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:34 PM
Ved
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris

Awesome, thanks a lot for this and for the detailed explanation.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Corvette C4 Steering Rack

Quick Reply: 1986 Corvette C4 Steering Rack