C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Drivers seat controls passenger seat!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Richard JC4
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers seat controls passenger seat!!

Hi

Having just bought my C4, I noticed that when you flip the switch from driver to passenger to move the seat backwards and forwards it stays moving the driver side

The other controls like the bolster sides etc. all work for both sides, but just moving the seat back and forwards, doesn't matter where the switch is only controls drivers side

Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance
Old 10-07-2016, 08:21 AM
Drifter36
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Driver side plugs are probably reversed

Under the driver seat there are two black plugs that can easily be reversed if not careful. The symptoms are exactly as you stated. Try switching the two plugs. How do I know this?
Bob

Originally Posted by Richard JC4
Hi

Having just bought my C4, I noticed that when you flip the switch from driver to passenger to move the seat backwards and forwards it stays moving the driver side

The other controls like the bolster sides etc. all work for both sides, but just moving the seat back and forwards, doesn't matter where the switch is only controls drivers side

Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance
The following 3 users liked this post by Drifter36:
4speedoverdrive (03-24-2022), klandry5 (01-04-2018), Richard JC4 (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 08:25 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Hi

Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance
What year is this thing? I'm not familiar with "seat select"? Snapshot?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-07-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:52 AM
Richard JC4
Heel & Toe

Sorry it's a 92 and I mean this part of the switch
Old 10-07-2016, 10:42 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Sorry it's a 92 and I mean this part of the switch
That my friend is I believe a later C4 '94+ switch etc. Your car maybe has later sport seats but until you confirm some information "it's certainly an unknown".

Here's a thread where a fellow mentioned doing similar to what's "maybe" been done to your '92 - the black/white confused me for just a little while LOL The fellow who authored this thread does well with any modifications he's done. I've never read the thread and just recall seeing it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ring-tips.html

What needs to be done in your car? Who knows. Snapshots of your SPID to see what was there from the original build and then it might be more easily determined - the what to do.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-07-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:53 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Look under the front of the seat and flip down and back the u shaped wire then lift your seat out. Then switch the plugs right.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:09 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Look under the front of the seat and flip down and back the u shaped wire then lift your seat out. Then switch the plugs right.
I can't see that as being of any use to the OP until it's determined WHAT WAS THERE and WHAT'S THERE NOW - The switch the OP's displayed is just a "SHAPING" switch that has no effect on forward/rearward positioning. If he hasn't got later sport seats and maybe the entire switch/bezel then who knows.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:59 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I can't see that as being of any use to the OP until it's determined WHAT WAS THERE and WHAT'S THERE NOW - The switch the OP's displayed is just a "SHAPING" switch that has no effect on forward/rearward positioning. If he hasn't got later sport seats and maybe the entire switch/bezel then who knows.
Then pull your head out of your ***. And stop ing me. If he lifts the seat bottom out on the driver side then he can get to the two sets of plugs that might be mixed up. And will cause the problem he is having.
The following users liked this post:
Richard JC4 (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 04:00 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

The circled switch, while positioned next to the seatback shaping controls, also controls the forward backward motion of the seat. When on DR, you can make changes to the drivers seat. When on PS you can make changes to the passenger seat.

It sounds like to me, when he throws that switch, the shaping buttons will control the side he has chosen, but the seat base buttons do not.
Attached Images   
Old 10-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Richard JC4
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by daverulz
The circled switch, while positioned next to the seatback shaping controls, also controls the forward backward motion of the seat. When on DR, you can make changes to the drivers seat. When on PS you can make changes to the passenger seat.

It sounds like to me, when he throws that switch, the shaping buttons will control the side he has chosen, but the seat base buttons do not.
Thanks for this daverulz, this has probably made it clearer than I did

I appreciate the all the other comments, but as I mentioned I have just bought the C4 and am certainly no expert on corvettes, hence why I come on an American forum to ask questions as I thought that's what they are for

At this point in time, I don't have the experience to know if my seats have been swapped for sports seats, I assumed they were as the car came...

But anyway here is a pic of my seats and daverulz is correct, the button I circled doesn't move the seat just tells the switch what side to move

I will get the seat out tomorrow and look for the black plugs as other helpful people have mentioned...

seat type
Old 10-07-2016, 05:33 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

What might be interesting - look on the console door (the back-side) and see if the SPID label is present. If the VIN on the label matches the VIN in the windshield post a snapshot of the SPID and post it. From it the original build could be determined.

Your snapshots certainly confirm '94 controls and seats with early dash.

Here's a SPID from a '93 just to use as an ID of what you're looking for.

Name:  '93 SPID.jpg
Views: 1886
Size:  228.7 KB

Do you have the FSM for your car? FSM - Factory Service Manual

What country are you posting from?
Old 10-08-2016, 09:52 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Since you just bought it my best guess would be they took the seats out to give it a good cleaning. Then mixed up the two sets of plugs under the drivers seat. It has been done many times. Knowing how to get the seat bottom out is easy once you know how. Knowing where your codes are is good info. But I was just focusing on fixing what was requested.
Richard JC4 (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 05:08 AM
Richard JC4
Heel & Toe

What might be interesting - look on the console door (the back-side) and see if the SPID label is present. If the VIN on the label matches the VIN in the windshield post a snapshot of the SPID and post it. From it the original build could be determined.

Your snapshots certainly confirm '94 controls and seats with early dash.

Here's a SPID from a '93 just to use as an ID of what you're looking for.

Attachment 48025158

Do you have the FSM for your car? FSM - Factory Service Manual

What country are you posting from?
Cheers for info, unfortunately that sticker has gone

I am posting from England

I have taken another pic of controls, with work I still haven't had time to take the seat out, but playing with them again, I was mistaken

The back and forward switch only control drivers side

So to clarify I can move the drivers seat, back, forward, up down etc. no lumber and passenger side no movement but lumber controls work

Attached is the switch I have in the car

Cheers
Old 10-09-2016, 05:20 AM
Richard JC4
Heel & Toe

Since you just bought it my best guess would be they took the seats out to give it a good cleaning. Then mixed up the two sets of plugs under the drivers seat. It has been done many times. Knowing how to get the seat bottom out is easy once you know how. Knowing where your codes are is good info. But I was just focusing on fixing what was requested.
Cheers, will look at this as soon as get 5 mins away from work
Old 10-09-2016, 06:01 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

The reason I asked for more information before removing seat cushions etc is I believe that the original build could be very important. If this car was originally built as a DRIVER POWER ONLY AC3 perhaps the adjuster etc required for PASSENGER wasn't there originally and the seat was mounted to the manual adjuster. I don't believe in just "ripping out/removing" things for no reasonable reason.

In '92 I believe there were multiple configurations.

It might be interesting for the first inspection maybe to see if the MANUAL RELEASE LEVER is there for the passenger seat. Maybe it isn't but I'd certainly look before maybe doing anything else. The SHAPING SWITCH I'm quite sure could be supported to both without the POWER ASSIST. It's NOT a factory option BUT this is a later SPORT install into an earlier car.

OP - I sent you an email with a couple questions.

Then pull your head out of your ***. And stop ing me. If he lifts the seat bottom out on the driver side then he can get to the two sets of plugs that might be mixed up. And will cause the problem he is having.
Don't worry I ain't "trolling you" - just looking to MAYBE help in a more reasonable progression of effort - I actually prefer "NON-DESTRUCTIVE DIAGNOSTICS/TESTING/INSPECTIONS"

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-09-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Richard JC4 (10-10-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 08:04 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

The reason I asked for more information before removing seat cushions etc is I believe that the original build could be very important. If this car was originally built as a DRIVER POWER ONLY AC3 perhaps the adjuster etc required for PASSENGER wasn't there originally and the seat was mounted to the manual adjuster. I don't believe in just "ripping out/removing" things for no reasonable reason.

In '92 I believe there were multiple configurations.

It might be interesting for the first inspection maybe to see if the MANUAL RELEASE LEVER is there for the passenger seat. Maybe it isn't but I'd certainly look before maybe doing anything else. The SHAPING SWITCH I'm quite sure could be supported to both without the POWER ASSIST. It's NOT a factory option BUT this is a later SPORT install into an earlier car.

OP - I sent you an email with a couple questions.

Don't worry I ain't "trolling you" - just looking to MAYBE help in a more reasonable progression of effort - I actually prefer "NON-DESTRUCTIVE DIAGNOSTICS/TESTING/INSPECTIONS"
Just flip the U shaped wire down and back and the seat bottom will lift right out in less than a minute. I hope this will help you in the future. I hate to hear that you destroyed seats not knowing how to remove them properly. Next time ask first many good folks here willing to help those in need. I did take for granted that he indeed had power seats.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 10-09-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:22 PM
klandry5
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pictures to help

There are two black 6 wire connectors that can be switched. One way is correct, the other obviously is wrong. Not being a smart *** just stating the obvious, I did the same thing. The problem starts because one set has blues and green wires and the other has reds and orange wires (not exact but gives you the idea). Having been an EM in the Navy I go with the "Birds of a Feather" and put matching type wires together, which is not correct! I switched the two and took pictures, which I hope will help others. Good luck as My seats now work as advertised.
Attached Images   
4speedoverdrive (03-24-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers seat controls passenger seat!!

Quick Reply: Drivers seat controls passenger seat!!