C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

FX3 question: will non-FX3 work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 11:11 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Default FX3 question: will non-FX3 work?

I am looking for a cheap set of shocks to use temporarily when I have my FX3 shocks rebuilt. Can I use any 89-96 shock non-FX3, or will they not work without modification? I understand the FX3 will not work, I just want something temporary.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:59 PM
NanoBrain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FX3 question: will non-FX3 work? (95wht6spd)

Sure you can, just remove the Servos by disconnect them from the Harness and cap the connector ends on the car. That way you don’t have to worry about having to secure the Servos from flopping around. Not to discourage you from the FX3 system, but here’s my two cents: I upgraded my 89 shocks to the 92 units, and got a Modified Bilstein control box with the Solo-II EPROM. After shelling out all that green, and having to deal with all the peculiarities of the system, I wish I went down a different avenue. For the same or less dough, I could’ve had adjustable Koni’s or QA1’s with the KISS principal of adjustment, (the ****)!

Other issues to contemplate are Servo failures @ $190+ each, the weak cast pot-Aluminum gear on the Shock’s piston-rod fracturing (which they do all the time), possible wiring shorts/opens and other intermittent continuity issues. All of which are avoided with non-computer controled shock systems! Just some things to consider!

:crazy:NanoBrain:crazy:
Old 09-16-2002, 02:54 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: FX3 question: will non-FX3 work? (NanoBrain)

a different avenue. For the same or less dough, I could’ve had adjustable Koni’s or QA1’s with the KISS principal of adjustment, (the ****)!
The Konis suck. Adjusting the fronts is easy, but if you want to adjust the rears, you have to drop the shock...no way Jose.

The FX-3 are great. Upgrading to the 92-95 system is really a waste. The only difference is the rotation of the gear. Instead of 180 it became a 90 degree turn. The prom software isn't very great unless you do auto-x, drag, and road race. Then it becomes benificial to have a chip for all.

I wouldn't dump my FX-3 for anything else.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:36 AM
NanoBrain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FX3 question: will non-FX3 work? (Jeffvette)

Jeffvette: I'm glad you like the OE system and have had no problems with yours! I’m sure someone makes adjustable units that have the control ****(s) near the bottom. Possibly the QA1’s or ?Tokiko’s? (can’t remember their exact name). In any case, I went with the 92 ZR1 Bilstein under advisement from one of the FX3’s project development members @ Bilstein America. The Adjustment time is dramatically cut down due to the reduced turn radius.

In any case, the 92’s cost the same as the 89’s and mine were shot, & 2 with damaged piston gears! I needed the Modified Controller (It’s socketed from the factory) to accept the new EPROM. And I agree, as I become more involved in racing I will buy different Eproms, that’s if I don’t poopie-can the FX3 system first! BTW it only cost me $778 for the 4 Shocks –Controller – EPROM. But you can buy really nice adjustable Shocks for that much $$$!

Although I must admit, if I owned a ZR1, I would retain the OE FX3 system to keep the car original (resale value)! But for my 89 runner, whatever performs the best for the $$ is my goal. Unfortunately sometimes you got to go through some trial & error first!

:crazy:NanoBrain:crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To FX3 question: will non-FX3 work?

Quick Reply: FX3 question: will non-FX3 work?