C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Project 96 LT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 10:10 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Did you do ALL of the o2s?
Old 10-21-2016, 10:19 AM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio Monk

While the hood is up, tighten the AC support bracket.

Awesome project!
Old 10-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Did you do ALL of the o2s?
Upstream pre cat were changed by po. Downstream look original.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Videoed the car running after taking it for a spin. No codes after clearing then turned off and on and ran around the neighbor hood still not codes. I did change gas caps.

my youtube name is indiomonk123
Old 10-21-2016, 10:38 AM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Originally Posted by KSA Aaron
While the hood is up, tighten the AC support bracket.

Awesome project!
Thanks for noticing. I had to take that off when I pulled plug #3 It is all back on snug now.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:39 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

So you have very sensitive sensors that ajust the fuel mismatched I always do them together. Do not know if that is causing your misfire but they do not always set a code.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:40 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
So you have very sensitive sensors that ajust the fuel mismatched I always do them together. Do not know if that is causing your misfire but they do not always set a code.
Aft O2 sensors have nothing to do with fueling. Their single purpose is to monitor cat efficiency for OBD II.

All closed loop fueling utilizes the front sensors.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 10-21-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:19 PM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Ran around the neighborhood after work. No MIL Code (Check Engine Light). Picked up a loan a tool scanner at Autozone. According to EPA a 96 OBD2 can pass with two not ready codes. I think I am saying that right.

Anyways I posted pics of the scan. I am going to run it in the morning and if it still has no MIL on I might take it to the inspection station and tell them to NOT pull on the wheel or adjust the tilt. I will cross my fingers and hope for the best.

We will see what tomorrow brings.
Attached Images   
Old 10-21-2016, 09:46 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Bring it out to me it will pass here. Just use my address.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:52 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Aft O2 sensors have nothing to do with fueling. Their single purpose is to monitor cat efficiency for OBD II.

All closed loop fueling utilizes the front sensors.
Thank you thank you thank you very much.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 10-21-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:27 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Any update on the cooling system mud issue? Or is that next?
Old 10-23-2016, 08:14 PM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Default Update LT4 Project

Update on work down this weekend. Had to work this weekend so not as much done as i would have liked. I did tear out the 20 year old tint. That was a bear, even with a steamer.

I changed some vacuum hoses near the front driver side canister but not attached to the canister. Its a weird hose I think maybe for climate control or something. I need to look in the FSM.
I also took out spark plug wire number 3 since I am now getting the p0303 code. Wow it is HARD as you know what to take this crap off. I had to take off the belt and tension pulley just to get that off.
I am not familiar with Ohms law but I did my best and see that the wire which is a 7mm diameter has a 1.95 ohms I am assuming it is 1,900 ohms, and checked on 20k ohm setting. I think this is the issue. I would like some of your advice on this. Should I get the stock wires and go with the OEM? I think they are 8mm. Cost would be $130 or so for the set.

The other thing is when jacking the car up and inspecting from underneath it does look like this engine has been rebuilt. Freeze plugs new new paint on block etc. New starter new hoses ALL new O2 sensors.

Oh well. I hope I can just change this wire and that's it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Oh, someone asked about those white specks in the engine bay. I thought it was because they had it detailed and the buffer put wax on the engine but guess what! It is from the hoses not being tightened so coolant was spraying when pressure built up. I also thought the cooling system was toast but looking at everything it looks fine. I was kind of scared because of the orange looking coolant with the dirt on the cap but after looking more closely I think the cooling system is fine.

I just want to say .. if you ever changed the wires on an LT1 or LT4, I salute you. It is a BEAR and I just took off ONE!

Name:  File_006.jpeg
Views: 369
Size:  1.70 MB

Name:  File_005 (1).jpeg
Views: 403
Size:  2.36 MB

Name:  File_003 (1).jpeg
Views: 376
Size:  1.37 MB
Attached Images     
Old 10-24-2016, 08:35 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

I bought a set of wires for my LT4, only to find out that just the coil wire was original and the other 8 wires were pretty new. This means I have a box of 8 brand new wires. You are welcome to have one you need for free, and look at my LT4, but you will have to drive up to me in Anna!
Old 10-24-2016, 08:53 AM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Originally Posted by chstitans42
I bought a set of wires for my LT4, only to find out that just the coil wire was original and the other 8 wires were pretty new. This means I have a box of 8 brand new wires. You are welcome to have one you need for free, and look at my LT4, but you will have to drive up to me in Anna!
Definitely! I will PM you to see when you are free. I need to hear your LT4 to see if it sounds like mine. I am going to go through this FSM and try and do the diagnostics by the book instead of guessing.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 09:03 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

That vacuum line in the fifth picture is toast.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:50 AM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimLentz
That vacuum line in the fifth picture is toast.
Yes I changed that also. It is at the very front near driver side Headlight near that canister ball. It does not hook up to the ball but is for something different. I do not know what.

I have to find it in the FSM.

I also think the resistance is okay on the plug wire #3 but when i move it around it OL (open Loops) so I think it is bad. I am going to change it and update when I do. Wish me luck!
Old 10-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Indio Monk
Instructor

This is a pic after I changed the driver side wires.
Name:  File_000 (4).jpeg
Views: 389
Size:  1.97 MB
This is a pic of before I changed ..see where the wires go straight down into the manifold instead of towards the front underneath the AC Compressor?
Name:  File_000 (3).jpeg
Views: 317
Size:  2.73 MB

Not the greatest pics but here is what I found out after testing Sparkplug wire number 3 and finding out it was bad. It looks like someone did not route the driver side plugs correctly. They went in touching the exhaust manifolds instead of going under neath the AC Compressor and Alternator.

So i went ahead and ordered new wires and changed out all of them on the drivers side! It seems to run better and I cleared the codes. So now I have to drive it to make sure the codes don't come back and then hopefully go for an inspection, and hope they don't ding me on the steering column being loose/wobbly.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Project 96 LT4

Old 10-29-2016, 04:50 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Slip the guy a $20 when you take it in and they will pass it lol
Old 10-29-2016, 07:15 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Slip the guy a $20 when you take it in and they will pass it lol
No, tape a $100 bill to the air cleaner lid and come back later; oh no, I really meant to say don't ever tape a $100 bill to the air cleaner lid; and on a C4 would anyone ever find it anyway?

Last edited by mtwoolford; 10-29-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Default Update on LT4 Project Plugs and FSM

Here is the update since it has been a few weeks.

I decided to use the FSM and trouble shoot. I purchased a Spark Tester. The OTC one and not the inline one. This is the one that supposedly does not give a false positive. I checked spark of Cylinder 3 wire that I changed (Changed all driver side wires) yes I had spark but it was an Orange yellow. I was expecting white/blueish spark.
I also pulled Plug number 1 and it looked a little fouled and the PUCK was off. These are the AC Delco 41-943 that apparently had a common problem of the pucks falling off. So I went ahead and ordered new plugs before proceeding. I have a feeling it is the opti but I want to make sure I do all testing before that point and since the plug is bad I might as well change all of them. I also started to hear a vacuum leak at the Brake Booster so I changed the grommet. I was at Autozone in the HELP products $4.99 .
First Pic is the Brake Booster Vacuum line check valve that I had to change
2nd pic is the fouled spark plug #1 and perfect spark plug #3 (Misfire p0303) The reason I think it is an opti issue is the spark is orange and not white or blue. I am going to do more testing and see what happens. when the new plugs come in since I changed the driver side wires I might as well change the passenger side wires and coil wire. The coil wire does not seem to be routed right either. I have also bought that condiut wire covers to put on the spark plug wires like the OEM from factory did.

Wish me luck!
[ATTACH]Name:  File_000 (8).jpeg
Views: 311
Size:  1.05 MB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Project 96 LT4