C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 08:47 PM
cole198
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise

Hello to all this is my first post as I just got my first corvette yesterday. It's a 1992 6 speed all stock. Drove 6 hours to get it and I can't complain a bit I love the car. Anyhow I noticed once I got back to Louisiana and got back on these horrible roads that when I hit bumps even the littlest ones like driving down a gravel driveway it makes a clunking noise and like metal and metal just hitting. i think that it just needs new shocks but is there anything else it could be? It's obviously coming from the suspension, sounds like front and back. Thanks for any replies
Old 10-16-2016, 08:51 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Pick it up and wiggle push pull and shove. Look at the bushings too.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 10-16-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:17 AM
byynow
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your anti roll (sway) bar bushings.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:25 AM
cole198
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Welcome to the forum. Pick it up and wiggle push pull and shove. Look at the bushings too.
Thanks I will try to get it on a lift this week to check it out and post back here
Old 10-17-2016, 09:08 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

What you described could be anything from a bad exhaust hanger bracket to a loose shock mount.

I suggest if you don't want a million shots in the dark to your issue that you may want to assist all of us by narrowing your problem to a generalized location. Front, rear, left, right, inside, outside, underneath, topside?

Just trying to alleviate some of the frustration you will get by a million different thought on your issue.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:11 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Could be anything to everything. I really wouldn't drive the car anymore till it is put on a rack by a qualified mechanic that will check everything. You really don't want something breaking apart at 70mph. It can be a LONG day.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:02 AM
cole198
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by aklim
Could be anything to everything. I really wouldn't drive the car anymore till it is put on a rack by a qualified mechanic that will check everything. You really don't want something breaking apart at 70mph. It can be a LONG day.
Sorry for the vague description but to narrow it down a little more the car doesn't vibrate going down the road or make any noise just driving it's only when hitting bumps. It seems to be coming more from the passenger side. I checked the a arms and steering components and nothing is loose in that area but tonight I will get the car lifted up and check for loose shocks and that sway bar. I drove it 500 miles Saturday with no issues major issues other than that racket when I hit bumps
Old 10-17-2016, 11:12 AM
aklim
Team Owner

There again you know nothing about the car so we don't know what the moron aka Previous Owner did. Sounds safe from what you said. Could be the shock bushings are shot. I assume the shocks are not leaking? Hopefully they are not empty.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:04 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by cole198
Hello to all this is my first post as I just got my first corvette yesterday. It's a 1992 6 speed all stock. Drove 6 hours to get it and I can't complain a bit I love the car. Anyhow I noticed once I got back to Louisiana and got back on these horrible roads that when I hit bumps even the littlest ones like driving down a gravel driveway it makes a clunking noise and like metal and metal just hitting. i think that it just needs new shocks but is there anything else it could be? It's obviously coming from the suspension, sounds like front and back. Thanks for any replies
Hi

Have a look at the front brake pads, do they have the small spring clips attached? Without them the calipers will make horrible rattle noises.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...050f&ukey=8632
Old 10-17-2016, 09:09 PM
cole198
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

Have a look at the front brake pads, do they have the small spring clips attached? Without them the calipers will make horrible rattle noises.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...050f&ukey=8632
Thanks for that picture I will check that as soon as I can. Wasn't able to get the car in the air today cause I've been working 12s but I did try to wiggle the front wheels while the car was on the ground. Correct me if I'm wrong but I would think since the car is so light I would be able to wiggle the tires a little if the ball joints were bad? I couldn't move those tires one bit side to side. The exhaust is good tho. Another thing I need to mention is this car has 175000 miles on although the previous owner only put 5000 miles on it in the last 6 years other than that it's been sitting in the garage. Thanks again for yalls help
Old 10-19-2016, 08:38 PM
cole198
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=gerardvg;1593274591]Hi

Too follow up the problem ended up being those brake pad clips gerardvg mentioned. Autozone had them so I replaced them and no more problems. Thanks! Now on to the next little issue which is the AC lol but I will search other threads for that!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:43 PM
aklim
Team Owner

[QUOTE=cole198;1593290099]
Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

Too follow up the problem ended up being those brake pad clips gerardvg mentioned. Autozone had them so I replaced them and no more problems. Thanks! Now on to the next little issue which is the AC lol but I will search other threads for that!
Didn't fit or what? Sounds odd
Old 10-20-2016, 04:09 PM
tims86vette
Intermediate

Default clunking noise

Originally Posted by cole198
Could be something loose or something simple like a tool in fender area. happens more than you think. If your in the new orleans area. come by my shop car toyz and tint. It is in Gretna,la

Get notified of new replies

To Clunking noise

Quick Reply: Clunking noise