C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 Exhaust Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 08:07 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Deleted post (dupe).

Last edited by SJW; 10-21-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:13 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red Sleeper
Please post the results after you have this done. I have the Tri-Flo stainless 3" and the droning is very bad at low rpm. I'm thinking about putting in an X-pipe in place of the resonator but I may make it worst.
Presuming you're running the 3" B&B Triflow, I had some dialog years ago with a guy who did replace the B&B resonator with an X-pipe, and he reported that it did knock the drone back quite a bit. I had contemplated trying it myself, but never got that far, opting instead to replace the B&B with Corsa.

If you're only trying to make the B&B more livable for daily driving, or long road trips, here's a super-inexpensive and simple option for you:

https://www.grainger.com/product/CHERNE-INDUSTRIES-3-Mechanical-Pipe-Plug-1VNG6?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1VNG4_AS01?$smthumb$

Buy a pair of them. Replace the wingnuts with standard hex nuts. Use a wet rag to wipe all of the carbon out of the inside of the inner exhaust port on each muffler. Insert one of these plugs as far as it will go into the inner port of each muffler. Tighten securely in place with ratchet/extension/socket. Squirt the large disc, stud and nut flat black before installing them and they'll be nearly invisible.

I did this with the Triflow on my '94 whenever I took it on road trips. It knocked back the overall noise level noticeably, and knocked back the drone almost completely. It tamed things quite nicely, and they're super-easy to install and remove. I noticed no difference in performance for normal street driving, and no increase in operating temperatures, so I was satisfied that any increase in back pressure was minimal, and probably similar to what the OEM system would have. I often left the plugs in for months at a time, just because the car was nearly unbearable with them out, but civilized enough with the inner ports plugged.

If you do try this, be sure to use plugs that have steel discs. Plastic won't stand up to the heat. They'll soften, loosen and pop out of there. That'll be a nasty surprise for the car behind you. And don't skip the step of cleaning the carbon from the inside of the pipe. You want the plug's rubber seal to have a very good grip on bare metal.

Live well,

SJW
The following users liked this post:
Red Sleeper (10-22-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:39 AM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
Presuming you're running the 3" B&B Triflow, I had some dialog years ago with a guy who did replace the B&B resonator with an X-pipe, and he reported that it did knock the drone back quite a bit. I had contemplated trying it myself, but never got that far, opting instead to replace the B&B with Corsa.

If you're only trying to make the B&B more livable for daily driving, or long road trips, here's a super-inexpensive and simple option for you:

https://www.grainger.com/product/CHERNE-INDUSTRIES-3-Mechanical-Pipe-Plug-1VNG6?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1VNG4_AS01?$smthumb$

So the rubber between the disc won't melt??

Buy a pair of them. Replace the wingnuts with standard hex nuts. Use a wet rag to wipe all of the carbon out of the inside of the inner exhaust port on each muffler. Insert one of these plugs as far as it will go into the inner port of each muffler. Tighten securely in place with ratchet/extension/socket. Squirt the large disc, stud and nut flat black before installing them and they'll be nearly invisible.

I did this with the Triflow on my '94 whenever I took it on road trips. It knocked back the overall noise level noticeably, and knocked back the drone almost completely. It tamed things quite nicely, and they're super-easy to install and remove. I noticed no difference in performance for normal street driving, and no increase in operating temperatures, so I was satisfied that any increase in back pressure was minimal, and probably similar to what the OEM system would have. I often left the plugs in for months at a time, just because the car was nearly unbearable with them out, but civilized enough with the inner ports plugged.

If you do try this, be sure to use plugs that have steel discs. Plastic won't stand up to the heat. They'll soften, loosen and pop out of there. That'll be a nasty surprise for the car behind you. And don't skip the step of cleaning the carbon from the inside of the pipe. You want the plug's rubber seal to have a very good grip on bare metal.

Live well,

SJW
Old 10-21-2016, 09:14 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BLUDICE
The ones I used seemed to hold up to the heat just fine.

Live well,

SJW
Old 10-21-2016, 09:41 AM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Originally Posted by SJW
The ones I used seemed to hold up to the heat just fine.

Live well,

SJW
Thx - I'll try this first before going to the muffler shop.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:31 PM
matthewsorrells
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a factory system on mine - i'd meet you halfway for a trade! It still looks fresh with no visible rust. Sounds good, but I want it louder.

Last edited by matthewsorrells; 10-21-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:10 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Thx - I'll try this first before going to the muffler shop.
WOW - I put the plugs in - big difference in the sound - a lot better now - still got some drone at 1200-1600 rpm under load but a huge improvement in what I had - thanks.

Last edited by BLUDICE; 10-21-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:34 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

WOW - I put the plugs in - big difference in the sound - a lot better now - still got some drone at 1200-1600 rpm under load but a huge improvement in what I had - thanks.
Might turn out to be the best $12 you ever spent on your C4.

Glad to hear it helped.

Live well,

SJW
Old 10-21-2016, 08:51 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Originally Posted by SJW
Might turn out to be the best $12 you ever spent on your C4.

Glad to hear it helped.

Live well,

SJW
Lol - I got mine for 8 bucks!!
Old 10-22-2016, 03:36 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

There got to be at least over 500 threads on exhaust options. All of them say the same. Magnacrap is a total waste of money unless you like to have drone. Corsa, and muffler eliminators are always the choice.

Back in 2008 I chose Magnacrap over Corsa to save $300.

Well, that 300 dollar savings became a $1,200 Corsa purchase.

Do a search on my threads and all your questions will be answered.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:37 PM
TJ VETT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1995, replaced center muffler/resonator with straight pipes and replaced back 2 mufflers with flow masters, sounds great at idle but drone is way too much, not sure what direction to go now
Old 10-22-2016, 06:52 PM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

Originally Posted by matthewsorrells
I've got a factory system on mine - i'd meet you halfway for a trade! It still looks fresh with no visible rust. Sounds good, but I want it louder.
Thanks for the offer Matt but I'll pass.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW

Live well,

SJW
Excellent idea! I will try it for sure. I drove the Vette today and wore earplugs. Yes it's that bad.

Thanks again!!!
Old 10-22-2016, 08:31 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Excellent idea! I will try it for sure. I drove the Vette today and wore earplugs. Yes it's that bad.

Thanks again!!!
HUGH improvement in my car - FYI - I have MAGNAFLOW's on my car.
They look great on the car but boy are they LOUD - can you hear that ??
Old 10-23-2016, 10:39 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Thanks again!!!
Until I tried the pipe plugs on my B&B, the drone was so bad that I used earplugs nearly every time I drove the car. It was truly horrible. I could not drive the car in 6th gear because the resonance was so bad. It rattled my brain.

Live well,

SJW
Old 10-23-2016, 07:35 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW

Live well,

SJW
If you go to the 2nd post, I replaced my resonator with an xpipe because the drone was driving my crazy. Now, I swear it's close to stock quiet in the car but I can still hear my exhaust out the back.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:28 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SJW
Until I tried the pipe plugs on my B&B, the drone was so bad that I used earplugs nearly every time I drove the car. It was truly horrible. I could not drive the car in 6th gear because the resonance was so bad. It rattled my brain.

Live well,

SJW
I just installed the pipe plugs on the B&B mufflers and it made a huge difference. I installed them on the inside exhaust pipes. I used a flap sanding drum to remove the carbon and a little brake cleaner. I also had to grind on the pipe plug a little to get it past the chrome tips. I didn't bother with the hex nut and left the wing nut on them but I did spray paint them black.

The test drive was much quieter and I didn't need earplugs. I drove it around long enough for the mufflers to get hot and then I stood on it and they stayed in place.

Thanks a ton!!!

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 Exhaust Options

Old 10-27-2016, 10:01 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

I just installed the pipe plugs on the B&B mufflers and it made a huge difference. I installed them on the inside exhaust pipes. I used a flap sanding drum to remove the carbon and a little brake cleaner. I also had to grind on the pipe plug a little to get it past the chrome tips. I didn't bother with the hex nut and left the wing nut on them but I did spray paint them black.

The test drive was much quieter and I didn't need earplugs. I drove it around long enough for the mufflers to get hot and then I stood on it and they stayed in place.

Thanks a ton!!!
The difference is amazing, isn't it?

BTW, carbon dissolves quickly with plain water. No need to break out the sander!

I would recommend you go ahead and swap out the wingnuts with hex nuts. You'll be able to get them much tighter, and it'll also be a lot easier to get them out. If the wings break off of the wingnuts, you'll have a hard time getting the plugs out.

Live well,

SJW
Old 10-28-2016, 12:18 AM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SJW
The difference is amazing, isn't it?

BTW, carbon dissolves quickly with plain water. No need to break out the sander!

I would recommend you go ahead and swap out the wingnuts with hex nuts. You'll be able to get them much tighter, and it'll also be a lot easier to get them out. If the wings break off of the wingnuts, you'll have a hard time getting the plugs out.

Live well,

SJW
You are 100% correct! I will change the wingnuts out for safety sake.

Thanks again
Old 10-28-2016, 12:58 AM
LT123GO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
No drone, quiet as a church mouse....OEM
oh wow, really? My OEM exhaust on my 92 coupe is anything but quiet. I've set alarms off driving alongside cars parked in the street, lol!

Quick Reply: LT1 Exhaust Options