C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 Corvette Digital Dash Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:50 PM
crossfireclint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Corvette Digital Dash Issue

First time after rebuild, speedometer looked like this.

After sending it back for a second time, speedometer looks like this.
I have a 1984 Corvette that I've owned for 22 years. A few years ago, the dash would work fine, then the LCD'S would get all garbled and mixed up and the go back to normal. Recently, the entire dash got dim and hard to see. I sent it off for a rebuild and got it back. After installing it, the speedometer would read 2 mph standing still in the driveway. And the green LCD speedometer bar was all the way at the top and broken in a few spots. I removed it and sent it back. I was told it tested fine and that my problems are in the VSS sensor or wiring harness. I got it back and installed it and the speedometer now reads three digits all broken up and the green LCD speedometer bar is all the way to the top and perfect not broken. I plugged my scan tool in, it captures live data and shows the vehicle speed as 0 mph while parked in the driveway. Is there anything in my car that would make this speedometer act like this or is this purely a dash issue? Thank you!!!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:42 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Who did you send it to?
Old 10-18-2016, 10:07 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by crossfireclint
First time after rebuild, speedometer looked like this.

After sending it back for a second time, speedometer looks like this.
I have a 1984 Corvette that I've owned for 22 years. A few years ago, the dash would work fine, then the LCD'S would get all garbled and mixed up and the go back to normal. Recently, the entire dash got dim and hard to see. I sent it off for a rebuild and got it back. After installing it, the speedometer would read 2 mph standing still in the driveway. And the green LCD speedometer bar was all the way at the top and broken in a few spots. I removed it and sent it back. I was told it tested fine and that my problems are in the VSS sensor or wiring harness. I got it back and installed it and the speedometer now reads three digits all broken up and the green LCD speedometer bar is all the way to the top and perfect not broken. I plugged my scan tool in, it captures live data and shows the vehicle speed as 0 mph while parked in the driveway. Is there anything in my car that would make this speedometer act like this or is this purely a dash issue? Thank you!!!
Hi

I recommend you have a look at the following website.

www.batee.com

He rebuilds dashes, There are rubber like connectors that go from the glass display to the printed circuit board. They have to be aligned carefully, Batee does good work and has a lot of helpful diagnostic
info.

Good Luck

Old 10-18-2016, 10:20 PM
crossfireclint
Intermediate

The dash rebuilders have an excellent reputation. That's why I would feel more comfortable if I could rule out everything on my end that could cause this.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:22 PM
crossfireclint
Intermediate

Thank you. I will check out that website.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:46 PM
Ziggy*
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There's a short somewhere (or broken glass panel) I know!!! Guy outta CT on E bay had replacement panels..Gotta surf...Fixed me right up
Old 10-18-2016, 11:06 PM
Ziggy*
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was scared to death to open up my "Digital" dash...But thru forum members (Crowsnest) got it done...New film, Broke 2 panels, Do to not READING before I tore into it....Could be lint or dirt between glass plates
Old 10-19-2016, 12:31 AM
crossfireclint
Intermediate

Hello
I'm getting the feeling something isn't right in the dash. Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:52 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

This problem could be caused by the rubber conductors that connect the PC board to the LCD panels. I would be very careful about cleaning the PC board contacts and the corresponding contacts on the LCDs.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:24 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
This problem could be caused by the rubber conductors that connect the PC board to the LCD panels.

The elastomeric ("Zebra") connectors can easily be tested. The display goes thru a half second test when you turn on the ignition. All display segments should be illuminated for that first half second. All numbers should show "888", except the first digit may be a backward "6", and the speedo will show both english and metric numbers.

If it fails this test, return the unit to your "rebuilder". That's a sign of poor connections of the zebra connectors.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:52 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I sent my cluster to Bryan at Batee the other year, he has excellent service. I had a grand total of 1 problem after the fact, it showed up a short time later and was the contacts on one of the replacement bulbs used which was in no way associated with his work. A little careful rework on the contacts on the bulb where they went into the socket and it's been perfect ever since.

I highly recommend Batee, you won't be disappointed.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Corvette Digital Dash Issue

Quick Reply: 1984 Corvette Digital Dash Issue