C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Well my laptop with datamster crapped out- what next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 02:33 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Well my laptop with datamster crapped out- what next?

i had it plugged in using an inverted in the car and it was working and then an hour later it was completely dead with no charging signal even when plugged into the wall. No lights or symbols... nothing.

i was told that even if the battery was completely dead, it should fire up or have the charging symbol when plugged into the wall.

the laptop was a 13 -14 year old Fujitsu life book so losing the computer doesn't mean much but loosing my program for datalogging is huge as I'm working with Greg to tune the car right now. Any other suggestions for obd1 datalogging on a 92? Does tunerpro do that or is that only on obd2?

tts doesn't sell the program anymore. Ideas?

Last edited by qwiketz; 10-19-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:40 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
i had it plugged in using an inverted in the car and it was working and then an hour later it was completely dead with no charging signal even when plugged into the wall. No lights or symbols... nothing.

i was told that even if the battery was completely dead, it should fire up or have the charging symbol when plugged into the wall.

the laptop was a 13 -14 year old Fujitsu life book so losing the computer doesn't mean much but loosing my program for datalogging is huge as I'm working with Greg to tune the car right now. Any other suggestions for obd1 datalogging on a 92? Does tunerpro do that or is that only on obd2?

I'd think you should be able to salvage all of the hard-drive data - what OS were you using? What specific model Life-Book? It's very common for the connector in the laptop to fail so then neither the Inverter or the AC/DC adapter would power it BUT if the battery was good it should power up from it. Is/was the battery any good at all?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-19-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:47 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

You have lots and lots of options but it depends on how computer savvy you are.

You could try to repair the laptop as it sounds like the power brick probably fried itself. You can usually find replacement power bricks from online venders such as Ebay, Amazon or Fry's. The power brick is the part that plugs into the wall and the computer.

If it isn't the power brick then you could swap the HDD from the dead laptop into a different laptop and rebuild the drivers on the HDD to work with the new laptop. Requires some ability to take apart a laptop and a bit to configure the OS and associated programs with the new laptop. If you are not capable of doing this there are some places that may be willing to do this for you for a nice fee. You would need to find a local place to do it as I don't think there are any mail order places still around.

You could try to use a USB portable HDD enclosure that is compatible to the HDD in your drive and hook that to a new computer. This may give you the ability to pull the executable files from the old HDD and install the program onto a the new OS.

These are just some of your immediate options.

Last edited by kg4fku; 10-19-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:54 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

One other thing. I highly recommend, in the future, you make backups of anything you do not want to lose.

External USB HDD's, NAS and Cloud based systems are relatively cheap these days and readily available. There is no excuse these days for lost data.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:02 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

The best investment I have ever made is a backup server. Cost around 600 to build with a super low E motherboard and drive, does not even need a fan. It is connected to the network and runs Microsoft home server. Backs up all 4 PCs and itself every day. PCs go to the terra byte raid array and server goes to an external terra byte drive. I have spent deep into 4 digits to have failed drives data back as all sorts of cad cam file with enough hours into them to justify the cost. There are now cheaper network appliances that do the same thing.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:02 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by kg4fku
One other thing. I highly recommend, in the future, you make backups of anything you do not want to lose.

External USB HDD's, NAS and Cloud based systems are relatively cheap these days and readily available. There is no excuse these days for lost data.
and make sure any program you install that you make an installation CD so you can reinstall it on another computer if needed.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:09 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
The best investment I have ever made is a backup server. Cost around 600 to build with a super low E motherboard and drive, does not even need a fan. It is connected to the network and runs Microsoft home server. Backs up all 4 PCs and itself every day. PCs go to the terra byte raid array and server goes to an external terra byte drive. I have spent deep into 4 digits to have failed drives data back as all sorts of cad cam file with enough hours into them to justify the cost. There are now cheaper network appliances that do the same thing.
You can build a wireless home backup server for around $100 in todays market.

- Raspberry pi 3 ($35)
- 3 TB Segate external USB HD (~$80)
Old 10-19-2016, 10:15 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Yes you can Datalog your 92 with TunerPro. I have datalogged with TunerPro and Win10, along with a USB ALDL cable. I have also used Bluetooth ALDL Adapters.

Another option is an Android Device along with ALDLDroid. The cool thing is ALDLDroid uses the SAME Definition files (XDF and ADX) and interfaces as TunerPro.

If you search my username there is a couple threads with a modified ADX file for the 92-93, this allows to communicate with the ECM (quiets the CCM).
Old 10-19-2016, 10:51 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Yes you can Datalog your 92 with TunerPro. I have datalogged with TunerPro and Win10, along with a USB ALDL cable. I have also used Bluetooth ALDL Adapters.

Another option is an Android Device along with ALDLDroid. The cool thing is ALDLDroid uses the SAME Definition files (XDF and ADX) and interfaces as TunerPro.

If you search my username there is a couple threads with a modified ADX file for the 92-93, this allows to communicate with the ECM (quiets the CCM).
Jeff, why doesn't the standard file quiet the CCM? Seems like there isn't much use for TunerPro if the CCM interrupts communication with the ECM. Where did you get the ADX file and where can I get it?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Jeff, why doesn't the standard file quiet the CCM? Seems like there isn't much use for TunerPro if the CCM interrupts communication with the ECM. Where did you get the ADX file and where can I get it?
Because the standard one you can get does not have the routine to quiet the CCM. I got the info from someone, tweaked it for the 1990-91 L98, then made all the ZR-1 year ADX files, finally took the same silence routine and applied it to the 92-93 ADX. I have had a few use it with great success

It is attached here
Attached Files
File Type: zip
DA_92-93_Corvette.zip (15.2 KB, 24 views)
The following users liked this post:
JimLentz (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 11:37 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Because the standard one you can get does not have the routine to quiet the CCM. I got the info from someone, tweaked it for the 1990-91 L98, then made all the ZR-1 year ADX files, finally took the same silence routine and applied it to the 92-93 ADX. I have had a few use it with great success

It is attached here
Thanks Jeff, I will give it a try!
Old 10-20-2016, 02:52 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

It is attached here
Any chance on posting the one for 90-91 L98?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:17 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Any chance on posting the one for 90-91 L98?
Attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip
$8D_90-91_Corvette.zip (9.9 KB, 8 views)
ddahlgren (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 11:26 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

It is attached here
What downside, if any, is there to running it this way for data logging?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:45 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

If you have a dark screen then either their is power supply problem on the board or your monitor/screen has failed. More than likely all your hard drive data is still good. Most laptops had VGA connector port and if you have a VGA monitor cable you can just plug this into another monitor - any monitor - and see if it displays data. If not displaying the problem is somewhere in the PS or mother board and more difficult to find.

As for reading and copying the hard drive all you need is a ($10 or less) USB to SATA/PATA adapter device & cable. You will have remove the hard drive for this but on most laptops it's a no -brainer. Old school we used SATA/PATA to SATA/PATA cable devices and did a copy/paste to image the new drive but I think the USB connection will make it easier and less error prone for you - though I expect it will take quite awhile with USB 2.0.

Take look at this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/20367...a-adapter.html

Hope this can help and good luck. Let us know what works for you as feedback helps us all.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:09 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by JimLentz
What downside, if any, is there to running it this way for data logging?

the Fuel calculation stuff on the LCD will not work while you are connected and datalogging, While it does not cause issues with driveability, it is just a temporary creature feature loss.
JimLentz (10-20-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 02:03 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Like WVZR-1 said...
If the HD is still intact you may be able to extract the licensing info and downloaded installation.
Build a new cheap LT with WXP and carry on...

Get notified of new replies

To Well my laptop with datamster crapped out- what next?

Old 10-25-2016, 07:10 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

the Fuel calculation stuff on the LCD will not work while you are connected and datalogging, While it does not cause issues with driveability, it is just a temporary creature feature loss.
Works as promised, thanks.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:24 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Great info you have provided in this thread, thank you. I've been having connection issues with Datamaster for years and will do the switch to TunerPro next time logging is needed.

What ALDL cable do you suggest, or do any work? Currently I have a USB cable from ALDLcable.com.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:03 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
Great info you have provided in this thread, thank you. I've been having connection issues with Datamaster for years and will do the switch to TunerPro next time logging is needed.

What ALDL cable do you suggest, or do any work? Currently I have a USB cable from ALDLcable.com.
Your cable is fine. I also found some simple 232 converters for Arduino work. But you need the molded cable. For Bluetooth I recommend the 1320electronics one
9T3VETTE (10-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Well my laptop with datamster crapped out- what next?