C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How deep is the doo doo I find myself in...splintered transverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:36 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How deep is the doo doo I find myself in...splintered transverse

Well here I was just going to install some new bilstein shocks. I get the car on the lift and remove the wheels and check the front shock. as I suspected it's finished. So while it's up crawl under to see what I can tidy up. First problem is I find some coolant drops on the cross member. More on that in my next post. The next thing I find is a slightly (see pictures) splintered transverse spring. So what is anyones opinion? Does this constitute an emergency that I must repair before driving the car or could I get along for a while. I think I might like to change both springs to firm up the ride but would like to get the shocks on and drive it a bit before I make a decision. I average only 1000 miles a year. What think
Attached Images    
Old 10-19-2016, 07:52 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

You'll want to replace that asap. I had the same problem with my rear spring. The front one is more involved to replace. You need to get the same spring code that's stamped on yours.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:22 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Looks like just the outside can you flick some off to see deeper?
Old 10-19-2016, 08:53 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Ultra close-up pics are not a help in this case. There's little to no context of where along the length of the spring the crack is located.

Might be that the spring is failing or it may be that someone at some point caught it with a jack or ran over something.

If it's failing, it needs to be replaced. If someone nicked the edge, its often ok.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:35 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Ultra close-up pics are not a help in this case. There's little to no context of where along the length of the spring the crack is located.

Might be that the spring is failing or it may be that someone at some point caught it with a jack or ran over something.

If it's failing, it needs to be replaced. If someone nicked the edge, its often ok.
Hard to get a very good picture. As best I can tell whats showing there is the total of damage. That hole in the cross member is dead center and the spring is failing cause there is no way to get a jack in there. Well let me take that back and say it would be very difficult. The splinter is on the rear edge and is about 3 inches long and just the couple strands visible in the pics. As best I can tell there is no other damage. I have a lot of boat experience and I've never seen fiberglass splinter like that. I guess it has to do with how the springs are layed up to make them springy. Has anyone ever heard of a spring breaking and allowing the a frames to buckle up? That would seem to me to be worst case failure.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:58 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

We used to file out the cracks and blend from there out in both directions on rotor blades.
There is much more specific info for helicopter components and limits to depth and length of blending.
The objective is to halt the splintering and maintain integrity.

Your damage looks superficial (< 0.025 deep) and could be blended with a file, if access permits.
Otherwise this will continue to propagate and eventually require replacement.
These springs are reasonably cheap and found at used parts dealers for 100-200 dollars.
The front is a day (+2x6pack) project. The rear a coupla hours maybe two beers.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:02 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
We used to file out the cracks and blend from there out in both directions on rotor blades.
There is much more specific info for helicopter components and limits to depth and length of blending.
The objective is to halt the splintering and maintain integrity.

Your damage looks superficial (< 0.025 deep) and could be blended with a file, if access permits.
Otherwise this will continue to propagate and eventually require replacement.
These springs are reasonably cheap and found at used parts dealers for 100-200 dollars.
The front is a day (+2x6pack) project. The rear a coupla hours maybe two beers.
good explanation
Old 10-20-2016, 08:19 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
......The front is a day (+2x6pack) project. The rear a coupla hours maybe two beers.
I have to disagree. If the rear only takes a couple of hours, there is certainly enough time for more than two beers.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:33 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
I have to disagree. If the rear only takes a couple of hours, there is certainly enough time for more than two beers.
But they aren't all professionals.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

At least one lower control arm will have to be removed to replace front spring. So if there any suspension upgrades you are pondering....it might be a good time to tackle them.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:23 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Rifle coach. Rode under some rotor blades back in 1968. Didn't occur to me that they would be similar to the springs but it makes sense. RU suggesting that I could remove the spring and repair it with some fiber glass cloth or just resin and curer?

I have the instructions for taking it off. Don't look too hard if the jack don't slip.

I'd really like to install the new shocks and see how they impact handling. I want to reserve the opportunity to stiffen up the ride if the shocks don't do it.

Thanks to y'all for your responses.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:34 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by stanleyz
Rifle coach. Rode under some rotor blades back in 1968. Didn't occur to me that they would be similar to the springs but it makes sense. RU suggesting that I could remove the spring and repair it with some fiber glass cloth or just resin and curer?

I have the instructions for taking it off. Don't look too hard if the jack don't slip.

I'd really like to install the new shocks and see how they impact handling. I want to reserve the opportunity to stiffen up the ride if the shocks don't do it.

Thanks to y'all for your responses.
If you are going to remove the spring, just replace it. As stated, they aren't that expensive and you'll only have to do it once. When those things fail, it's not pretty.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:14 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Originally Posted by 383vett
If you are going to remove the spring, just replace it. As stated, they aren't that expensive and you'll only have to do it once. When those things fail, it's not pretty.
Well, I agree with that sediment once will probably be enough on the front one. I have a small lift which might make it easier but still it appears daunting. i have looked in the obvious places for springs, Ecklers sells a kit front and rear for 900+ bucks. wasn't very specific on the properties or resistance. There were a handful on ebay at very attractive prices but none had numbers, a couple were described as soft which would describe what I have but not what I might want. Right now my plan is to wait for my shocks and then drive it and decide which way to go. It's not a car I use so it's just sitting there on the lift. I'm in no hurry.

Get notified of new replies

To How deep is the doo doo I find myself in...splintered transverse

Quick Reply: How deep is the doo doo I find myself in...splintered transverse