C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

88 headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 11:42 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
they have moving pictures now. Why would you pay hundreds of dollars to do a simple repair?
Quite often people don't want to DIY because they aren't that confident that they can do it regardless of the videos. There are some things I might not want to tackle because I don't want to buy "one off" tools. Some people would rather pay someone to do it than waste their already short time.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:49 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Quite often people don't want to DIY because they aren't that confident that they can do it regardless of the videos. There are some things I might not want to tackle because I don't want to buy "one off" tools. Some people would rather pay someone to do it than waste their already short time.
but no special tools and a few hours. And most of those people are at the dealership not asking for help on a forum.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:11 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I have thought about this for a bit and with both doing the same thing. I have come up with the PO messed with them and some how got the linkage messed up. Take a pic of yours then find another one and compare them.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:29 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I have thought about this for a bit and with both doing the same thing. I have come up with the PO messed with them and some how got the linkage messed up. Take a pic of yours then find another one and compare them.
I'd like to say you are crazy or stupid to think that but having had several used cars, I'd say the PO probably tried to fix it and screwed it up. Just when you think you have seen it all, a used car that has been "fixed" by the PO usually shows you that there is something yet that you haven't seen. Sometimes I think we buy new cars so we can avoid having a PO that tried to "fix" the car.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:18 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by aklim
I'd like to say you are crazy or stupid to think that but having had several used cars, I'd say the PO probably tried to fix it and screwed it up. Just when you think you have seen it all, a used car that has been "fixed" by the PO usually shows you that there is something yet that you haven't seen. Sometimes I think we buy new cars so we can avoid having a PO that tried to "fix" the car.
Not sure where you're trying to go with this.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 10-20-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:02 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

OP - I believe that there's "run-time circuitry" in the HL MODULE at the left side BUT I doubt it's your issue because I thought it would run one side or the other to complete the open/close operation and not defeat both. Won't close because it hasn't seen them "open" completely? I'd doubt.

I believe you remove a capsule complete from one side and attempt to power from a 12V source and observe. If this purchase was "local" I'd maybe ask the PO if there was an attempt to repair a HL operation at one time. There's nothing like just asking questions.

There's mechanical limit levers (maybe poor choice of terminology) on later C4 lift motors so it's maybe very likely that someone's been there.

Here's a Wilcox video that might be an interesting WATCH!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-20-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:25 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I bet it was fixed already and they did it like the video shows and they put that one bracket in wrong. I did mine by pulling the whole assembly but did not pull the motor or the headlight out of the assembly. I would bet all the pucks and gears are already done and bubba just got frustrated and quite. So if I am right it is a easy and free fix. And WV video shows you how.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Not sure where you're trying to go with this.
I'm trying to say as a rule, the PO is a moron and it is probably FUBAR simply because he didn't know what he was doing.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
OP - I believe that there's "run-time circuitry" in the HL MODULE at the left side BUT I doubt it's your issue because I thought it would run one side or the other to complete the open/close operation and not defeat both.
It can't be the HL module, because the OP said the manual control **** can't be rotated to open the HL's all the way. It has to be something mechanical inside the assembly. And it's common to both assemblies! Possibly that roll pin not all the way into its proper location??? (Wild guess!)

Old 10-21-2016, 07:42 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Just did mine with the same movement. (1 ) The gear was cracked everything looked like new so I just changed the gear. Took my time and cleaned every thing. Took 2 hours and saved $225.00

Quick Reply: 88 headlight issue