C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

no crank, no start 1996 c4

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:14 AM
dja
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no crank, no start 1996 c4

i have a 1996 that is a no crank no start
the center digital cluster does not come on
seems everthing else is working
jumped the starter and will start but will only run for a few seconds
any help is greatly appriciated
Old 10-20-2016, 05:49 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Do you have a SECURITY light that's on in the cluster.

Was this an "intermittent" before it became a nuisance? The first thoughts for nearly all NO CRANK is PASS-KEY. Do you have multiple keys? Is the car an A4 (AUTO) or an M6 (MANUAL)?

The portion of the CLUSTER you mention is dead is the SPEEDO/ODO ETC or the DIC right of the cluster? Did the CLUSTER issue happen prior to the NO CRANK? It might be considered odd to be related. Coincidental? Maybe not.

What have you done recently to the car? Any attempted repairs? Is the car new to you or you've owned for some time?

THEFT DETERRENT relay?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-20-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:05 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Pull the battery behind it there is a jump box. Clean and inspect the connections and the fuseable links. On my 94 they look like orange wires.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:26 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Pull the battery behind it there is a jump box. Clean and inspect the connections and the fuseable links. On my 94 they look like orange wires.
The "jump box" you mention I believe is only on '86 - '92 cars, you mention multiple fusible links and on later C4's including your '94 I believe there's only 2 and likely in the charging circuit.

There's under-hood fuse blocks - does the OP need to go there "first"? Maybe NOT.

There's specific procedures for NO CRANK diagnostics and I don't believe I've ever seen removing the battery as being the "first" go to.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:54 PM
dja
Cruising

no security light on cluster
no symptons, just would not crank or start 2 weeks ago
yes tried differant key, checked the ohms on both and they was the same
it is a a4 auto
it is the center digital cluster (speedo, odom, codes etc)
the cluster went out the same time
i have owned it for about 9 years, never any issues, has about 97,000 miles
I have done this so far
new battery
jumped the starter, will only run a few secs ( i think fuel pump is shutting off )
checked the transmission range switch (console )
checked park plunger switch (console ) (placed resister on it matching key)
checked theft deterrent relay (center relay under console) power on the yellow, no power on the purple, can jump the yellow and purple bur will on run for a few seconds. i have 12 volt to ground power on the small yellow wire on the left and 12 volt to ground power on the small yellow with black strip.
i have checked all fuses
Old 10-20-2016, 02:57 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The "jump box" you mention I believe is only on '86 - '92 cars, you mention multiple fusible links and on later C4's including your '94 I believe there's only 2 and likely in the charging circuit.

There's under-hood fuse blocks - does the OP need to go there "first"? Maybe NOT.

There's specific procedures for NO CRANK diagnostics and I don't believe I've ever seen removing the battery as being the "first" go to.
So believe what you want but ******* me with no helpful info once again is no help to the OP. And pulling the battery is the only way to get to the jump box. ing

I am trying to get his car running and to keep him from it burning up and do not give a **** what you ( believe )

Last edited by antfarmer2; 10-20-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:13 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

OP - KEY ON do you get a full complement of the expected DIC lamps. Do they "time-out" as expected? Do you have a FSM by chance? FSM - Factory Service Manual

The ODO/MPH etc doesn't light when the HL/PL are on either? Maybe shine a bright light into the sensor on the DIC and see if that might change that. The LCD shows the CCM DTC when it's working but when not working ... If it were a FEDS I'd think you have SYS in the display and also the SECURITY light. Do you have a SES (Service Engine Soon)?

If the AC fuse is blown the CCM won't go into diagnostics - the CCM controls everything that you seem to have issues with.

It seems your CCM is actually ASLEEP and ain't seeing/reacting to the WAKE-UPS. Check that AC fuse, that's where the CCM gets IGN 3 voltage.

Originally Posted by dja
checked park plunger switch (console ) (placed resister on it matching key)

I didn't follow this .... ????

So believe what you want but ******* me with no helpful info once again is no help to the OP. And pulling the battery is the only way to get to the jump box.
Post a snapshot of the "jump box" and the multiple fusible links that you mention on your '94.

The OP seems to have a pretty good idea of the "goings on" - just has a somewhat ODD set of circumstances it seems.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-20-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:22 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
OP - KEY ON do you get a full complement of the expected DIC lamps. Do they "time-out" as expected? Do you have a FSM by chance? FSM - Factory Service Manual

The ODO/MPH etc doesn't light when the HL/PL are on either? Maybe shine a bright light into the sensor on the DIC and see if that might change that. The LCD shows the CCM DTC when it's working but when not working ... If it were a FEDS I'd think you have SYS in the display and also the SECURITY light. Do you have a SES (Service Engine Soon)?

If the AC fuse is blown the CCM won't go into diagnostics - the CCM controls everything that you seem to have issues with.

It seems your CCM is actually ASLEEP and ain't seeing/reacting to the WAKE-UPS. Check that AC fuse, that's where the CCM gets IGN 3 voltage.

I didn't follow this .... ????

Post a snapshot of the "jump box" and the multiple fusible links that you mention on your '94.

The OP seems to have a pretty good idea of the "goings on" - just has a somewhat ODD set of circumstances it seems.
Please stop trolling me. I am not tearing my car apart to take a pic for a book jockey. Maybe the poster will bless you with a pic if he goes in there to fix it.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 10-20-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:46 PM
dja
Cruising

i am removing the ccm and going to either buy another or get this one repaired
Old 10-21-2016, 06:02 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by dja
i am removing the ccm and going to either buy another or get this one repaired
It looks like Hookonvetts has it figured out for you! Sorry for my outburst but just getting sick of being trolled by WV.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:03 PM
dja
Cruising

well i bought a used ccm and installed but now i cant get it to relearn the key. i have done it the way it says to relearn but it doesn't do it.it says to put the key in and turn it on and the security light will go off in 10 to 11 minutes but it never goes off
any suggestions
thank you DJA
Old 11-07-2016, 03:20 PM
dja
Cruising

my speedometer and mileage is working on the used ccm so i guess thats good
Old 11-07-2016, 03:25 PM
dja
Cruising

so now i am trying to get the ccm to relearn my key, but no luck
Old 11-07-2016, 05:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Please stop trolling me. I am not tearing my car apart to take a pic for a book jockey. Maybe the poster will bless you with a pic if he goes in there to fix it.
What is a book jockey again? A librarian or book seller?
Old 11-08-2016, 07:05 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dja
well i bought a used ccm and installed but now i cant get it to relearn the key. i have done it the way it says to relearn but it doesn't do it.it says to put the key in and turn it on and the security light will go off in 10 to 11 minutes but it never goes off
any suggestions
thank you DJA
I know of NO "RELEARN" for a USED" C4 CCM - re-man or new out of box is YES

Your thoughts are for a much later GM PassKey system.

Originally Posted by dja
my speedometer and mileage is working on the used ccm so i guess thats good
If you check the ODOMETER is the value of the "other/donor" car - if scanned it will also display the VIN of the "other/donor".

Originally Posted by dja
so now i am trying to get the ccm to relearn my key, but no luck
Where did you get the "other/donor" CCM? A JY? eBay or ....? LOCAL buy from an individual?

Depending on the source there are a couple options.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-08-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:12 PM
dja
Cruising

yes the speedometer shows the milage of the new (used) ccm of about 55,000 when mine has a mileage of about 97,000
i bought this on e-bay
Old 11-08-2016, 12:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

You might have to buy a re-virginized one where they reset it so it will accept inputs.

Get notified of new replies

To no crank, no start 1996 c4

Old 11-08-2016, 12:16 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dja
yes the speedometer shows the milage of the new (used) ccm of about 55,000 when mine has a mileage of about 97,000
i bought this on e-bay
From an individual on eBay or a JY (salvage dealer)?

A couple possibilities for using what you've got!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-08-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

See post HERE and THERE

An independent repair shop damaged my CCM computer when changing the heater core. After a 6 week wait GM shipped a remanufactured CCM and they installed it. The odometer reset itself to zero as part of this install. We didn't realize that we only had 100 miles to reprogram the CCM. Yesterday when I tried to have a GM dealer reprogram the CCM it rejected it and the CCM has to be replaced.

The shop has a replecement CCM on order. My concern is driving the car while we wait for the CCM to show up. One "local expert" claims someone at GM USA told him that you only have around "15 starts" before the CCM disables the car and it won't start.

I have more than 15 starts on the car, it runs and the only difference is the interior lights go out a little quickly and the security light flashes a little longer, when you start the car, before going out. Other than that I have a 93 with 150 miles on the odometer.

Can anyone confirm or refute the claim that the car won't start at some point. I'm concerned about getting stuck if I drive it anywhere while waiting for the replacement CCM.

Last edited by aklim; 11-08-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:22 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

You should also pull the knock sensors and do a complete flush while you are in there.

Quick Reply: no crank, no start 1996 c4