C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 rack & pinion issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:26 AM
fflumpy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4 rack & pinion issues

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice…i think my rack and pinion is bad.…

I read some other threads on replacement and different options but could not find much on diagnosing…and not much on videos for replacement.

Got a vibration in the steering wheel which gets worse at higher speeds, will get occasional wonder on uneven road, when the car is parked there is a little slop in the steering with a clucking sound from the rack when steering is moved side to side, and you can see that its been leaking.

Im sure its bad…what do you guys think?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If it's leaking rack is bad : seal kits are not readily available neither are tools to installed them. Most of the time a leaking steering won't cause vibration above parking lot speeds. I would or have front end inspected for worn parts, along with front tires and balance for source of vibration. Normally a reman steering gear comes with tie rod but not the ends.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:02 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

When my rack went bad on my 88 back in 2003, turn the steering wheel one way I had power steering, turn the other way I had no power steering. I think this is called "being lazy". Mine never leaked. Plan on replacing the power steering pump with a rebuild unit while doing the work. Not a very hard job to do, just need to get the front high in the air.
I went hog wild when installing a re-manufactured rack. Replaced tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, added urethane bushings on the whole front end and SS brake lines.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:09 PM
fflumpy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevova
If it's leaking rack is bad : seal kits are not readily available neither are tools to installed them. Most of the time a leaking steering won't cause vibration above parking lot speeds. I would or have front end inspected for worn parts, along with front tires and balance for source of vibration. Normally a reman steering gear comes with tie rod but not the ends.
Had the tie rods and ball joints inspected when i bought the car (couple of months ago). Tires have been bubble balanced and road forced balanced.
Leak is not bad no fluid on the ground. But u can tell is been leaking for a while.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:51 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by fflumpy
Had the tie rods and ball joints inspected when i bought the car (couple of months ago). Tires have been bubble balanced and road forced balanced.
Leak is not bad no fluid on the ground. But u can tell is been leaking for a while.
edit mine is 1985.

I just did this project last week, my steering all of a sudden would not turn right anymore.
But first I would put the car securely on jackstands and put the jack under the front crossmember. Do the 12-6 oclock test and the 9 - 3 oclock test(back forth) you should not have any play. Then you can see which joint is bad. If they are good you have a steering ujoint I suppose could go bad but it is under the cap that protects it so you have to remove the alternator. I couldn't find a replacement rack but if you go to parts stores and ask who rebuilds them you may be surprised that they are close by. I found a place less than 1 mile from me and he charged 150 dollars with a sleeve( apparently the aluminum wheres out). I would rebuild before it gets to bad)

put 3 in 1 oil on the rack connectors night before
Disconnect battery
center steering wheel
remove sway bar
Remove alt
remove air pump
remove wheels
separate ball joints with a fork
count threads from nut to inner tie rod and write it down also take some measurements
remove air pump braket
remove ps hoses and resiviour
remove ps pump and bracket together
remove little steering ujoint cover and screw and inspect the shaft/ujoint
remove 3 bolts and lift rack and pinion up a little to remove ujoint connection
then wiggle out pull rack out drivers side
hard part ---find someone to fix it
I put it exactly back the way it was and it drives perfectly straight, but I will get an alignment someday.
Good Luck

Last edited by xrav22; 10-20-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

You may need to find someone knowledgeable to ride with you and get their opinion. These are old cars a stuff goes bad every day.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:06 PM
fflumpy
Instructor

Originally Posted by xrav22
edit mine is 1985.

I just did this project last week, my steering all of a sudden would not turn right anymore.
But first I would put the car securely on jackstands and put the jack under the front crossmember. Do the 12-6 oclock test and the 9 - 3 oclock test(back forth) you should not have any play. Then you can see which joint is bad. If they are good you have a steering ujoint I suppose could go bad but it is under the cap that protects it so you have to remove the alternator. I couldn't find a replacement rack but if you go to parts stores and ask who rebuilds them you may be surprised that they are close by. I found a place less than 1 mile from me and he charged 150 dollars with a sleeve( apparently the aluminum wheres out). I would rebuild before it gets to bad)

put 3 in 1 oil on the rack connectors night before
Disconnect battery
center steering wheel
remove sway bar
Remove alt
remove air pump
remove wheels
separate ball joints with a fork
count threads from nut to inner tie rod and write it down also take some measurements
remove air pump braket
remove ps hoses and resiviour
remove ps pump and bracket together
remove little steering ujoint cover and screw and inspect the shaft/ujoint
remove 3 bolts and lift rack and pinion up a little to remove ujoint connection
then wiggle out pull rack out drivers side
hard part ---find someone to fix it
I put it exactly back the way it was and it drives perfectly straight, but I will get an alignment someday.
Good Luck
Thanks that sounds fun! napa and oriley sells referbs for like $150
Old 10-20-2016, 05:37 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

They don't stock them anymore
Old 10-20-2016, 06:11 PM
fflumpy
Instructor

Originally Posted by xrav22
They don't stock them anymore
Thanks for your help
Old 10-21-2016, 10:56 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I had a bad steering rack on my 1984. I exchanged it with a vendor on Ebay. It has been on for 3+ years and no problems.

It came with a 5 year warranty also. Cost was $250.00 plus shipping with a core charge until he received my old rack back.

If you would like more info let me know.
The following users liked this post:
fflumpy (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 07:40 AM
357L98
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently needed a rack due to severe leaks, and couldn't find one at any store. I sent my original to Turn One for rebuild, and it works great!
Old 10-22-2016, 07:44 AM
fflumpy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 357L98
I recently needed a rack due to severe leaks, and couldn't find one at any store. I sent my original to Turn One for rebuild, and it works great!
Turn one is in Saginaw MI right?
Old 10-22-2016, 07:47 AM
357L98
Instructor

That's correct. They dyno test your rack before they send it back and check everything. Mine steers perfectly and is totally dry on the outside. They are not cheap or fast, but do great work.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:53 AM
fflumpy
Instructor

Im not even sure if the rack is bad? Might take to my local shop (he is really good…but expensive. Get what you pay for i guess) and have him diagnose the prob for me. Then ill fix it myself. I hate to start replacing **** without knowing…i got a "Jack Adapter" coming in the next weekish so i can get the car on jack stands…im going to do the tire swap first and see what happens and go from there.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:01 AM
fflumpy
Instructor

That's correct. They dyno test your rack before they send it back and check everything. Mine steers perfectly and is totally dry on the outside. They are not cheap or fast, but do great work.
They are about 2 hours from me so i wouldnt have to worry about shipping.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 AM
357L98
Instructor

Very convenient for you if you decide to have them rebuild it!
Old 10-23-2016, 10:29 AM
fflumpy
Instructor

Very convenient for you if you decide to have them rebuild it!
Yes…i just need to figure out if thats my issue.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:47 AM
357L98
Instructor

Originally Posted by fflumpy
Yes…i just need to figure out if thats my issue.
I don't really think the rack is your vibration issue, I don't see how it could cause that. But, if it is leaking, that's good enough reason to take it to them and have it rebuilt unless you just want to live with it.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 rack & pinion issues

Quick Reply: C4 rack & pinion issues