C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opinions on L98 Water Pump

Old 10-21-2016, 05:14 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Opinions on L98 Water Pump

I'm replacing my water pump and wondering who would like to suggest the best course of action. I almost pulled the trigger a Flow Kooler from summit and then it said it was for a counter clockwise operation. So, is that facing the water pump or being the water pump.

Or better yet is that the same as stock. Or would I be better off to just replace with Delco stock, or an after market clone.

How about an eldebrock Victor. They also say counter clockwise. All suggestions will be valued. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:04 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

besides all those apps there are number keys on your phone and bet if you call the company they will tell you what fits your car without 300 guesses.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:39 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
besides all those apps there are number keys on your phone and bet if you call the company they will tell you what fits your car without 300 guesses.
Thank you for that enlightening comment. It was very helpful and I will surely consider it when I make my decision.

However, I belong to a number of forums that support my various interests. I believe the greatest value in them is the cumulative knowledge that is shared. In this case I was hoping to get some input from those who had real world experience with one or more of the several options. Absent that I will decide based on the information on the web sites. Thanks again for your help.
The following users liked this post:
justmax36 (11-25-2022)
Old 10-21-2016, 09:52 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Do this job once, spend your money on the Eldebrock. I wish I had.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:41 PM
joeld
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm looking at water pumps for my 89 also. For many, many years AC Delco was a good dependable choice. Not so much any more. I'm leaning toward the Edelbrock #8815 pump. But I keep reading lots of good reviews on the Stewart Stage 1 #13403?

Joel
Old 10-22-2016, 08:08 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by stanleyz
I'm replacing my water pump and wondering who would like to suggest the best course of action. I almost pulled the trigger a Flow Kooler from summit and then it said it was for a counter clockwise operation. So, is that facing the water pump or being the water pump.

Or better yet is that the same as stock. Or would I be better off to just replace with Delco stock, or an after market clone.

How about an eldebrock Victor. They also say counter clockwise. All suggestions will be valued. Thanks.
FWIW, I bought a flowkooler for my 85 as recommended by forum member, john marker (thanks john!). i found it to be a quality product. seems flowkooler uses (new) GMP housing cores and replaces and upgrades the bearings, seals, and impeller. the pump I bought for my 85 was part number BRA-1688 - I assume all L98 corvettes would be the same. during my research, I did compare the pump to an equivalent stewart, and found flowkooler appeared to the better quality. I did open the rear of the flowkooler to seal the cover plate, and the impeller appeared to be an anodized, machined aluminum. installation was straight forward and pretty much plug and play. it's been on the car for 3K miles now, and no cooling issues. as for the CCW operation, most times, things are ID'd as "aft looking forward," so i'm guessing that holds true. if you're considering flowkooler # BRA-1688, personally, I wouldn't worry about anything. if I had to purchase another water pump, I would not hesitate to go with flowkooler.

Last edited by Joe C; 10-22-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:41 AM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts

Edelbrock make a c4 specific water pump. I've had the same one on my vette since the 97(?) and it hasn't leaked a drop.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:21 PM
joeld
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Update?

Joel
Old 10-22-2016, 07:34 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Thank you one and all. I ordered the Eldebrock 8815 from summitt. i though the 8825 was just too shiney not to mention how shiney the extra 70 bucks they waanted was. I'm sure it will be fine. As to the CCW vs CW I found more info in the ad and it is for SB Chevy with serpentine belt. In looking at their example on the web site the CCW appears to be facing the pump from the radiator. I went and looked at my serpentine belt diagram and that looks like how it turns. It seems there are two versions of the chevy water pumps, ours is the short version. So now I know. Would have been a lot easier if they had left the CCW out of the ad. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:37 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

It's not the long or short version, it's a c4 vette only version.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:44 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

FWIW "corvette" pumps use a larger 3/4" shaft than it's SBC cousins.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:57 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by joeld
Update?

Joel
for the street, most any decent quality WP will meet your car's cooling requirements. personally, i'd stay away from ac delco "professional." in most cases, these are third party supplier parts that meet the minimum specs as defined by ACD, and repackaged as ACD. "professional" is a clever marketing term. you really don't know who's the original supplier, or where it came from. do they work - most likely, and you won't have any problems, but remember, "you get what you pay for...". ACD professional WP's (#252-664) run around $40. on the other end of the ACD spectrum, is ACD "OE" replacement pumps (#251-500). this is GM's top tier hardware, but expect to pay in the $200-$250 range. now for a tad more than a $100, you can go with a better, aftermarket, hi-flow replacement - flowkooler, edelbrock, stewart, etc.. my personal choice is flowkooler. it really boils down to how much you want to spend, and what's the biggest bang for the buck.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:58 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

I recommend putting hardening sealer on the threaded pipe connection that goes into the pump. Mine wouldn't seal with Teflon tape.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:14 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Thank you one and all. I ordered the Eldebrock 8815 from summitt. i though the 8825 was just too shiny not to mention how shiny the extra 70 bucks they wanted was. I'm sure it will be fine. As to the CCW vs CW I found more info in the ad and it is for SB Chevy with serpentine belt. In looking at their example on the web site the CCW appears to be facing the pump from the radiator. I went and looked at my serpentine belt diagram and that looks like how it turns. It seems there are two versions of the chevy water pumps, ours is the short version. So now I know. Would have been a lot easier if they had left the CCW out of the ad. Thanks again for the help.
- edelbrock is a good choice. as for the $70 shiny thing, once installed, you can't see shiny -
Old 10-22-2016, 08:20 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire
I recommend putting hardening sealer on the threaded pipe connection that goes into the pump. Mine wouldn't seal with Teflon tape.
- on my 85, I used ARP head bolt thread sealant. seems to be working....
Old 10-23-2016, 04:59 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

We talking about the pipe the hose goes on or the bolts that tighten the WP to the block?
Old 10-23-2016, 05:11 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Yeah, the pipe you have to take off the old pump. I had a heck of a time sealing it. You should put sealant on the bolts too. One of them goes into the water jacket.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on L98 Water Pump

Old 10-23-2016, 05:21 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

It's not the long or short version, it's a c4 vette only version.
Thank you for enlightening me. I only used the terms "short and long" because the Eldebrock rep in the you tube used it as he was explaining that the "short" version was used on the small blocks until I think he said 1969. After that time the "short" version was used only on the corvette. But, then what would he know?
Old 10-23-2016, 05:33 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Yeah, the pipe you have to take off the old pump. I had a heck of a time sealing it. You should put sealant on the bolts too. One of them goes into the water jacket.
Got it, thanks. This whole project began because I had a leak from the bottom bolt on the driver side. Once removed it appears that there was little gasket material there, also looked like the bolt had been removed and some kind of compound added.

It also looks to be the OE pump. I'm gonna clean it up and post some pictures see who can help me determine that. A 30 year old OE pump would support the idea that it is a very low mileage car. It was presented to be so when I bought it but I did not drive it out new so I;m skeptical.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:28 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
FWIW "corvette" pumps use a larger 3/4" shaft than it's SBC cousins.
Yes they do but I would be shocked if only the Corvette WP had that shaft. Given the 60 years and the many iterations of the SBC (265, 283, 307, 327, 400 350, 305 and I'm sure I missed a couple), I think it highly unlikely that only the Corvettes had the HD 3/4 inch WP. And don't forget the marine applications. At one point in 1986 I owned a C4 corvette, an Impala and 2 sea ray cruisers and they all four had the 350 engine. And we must add the other GM applications of which there were and are many. The GM small block must be the most utilized engine in the history of the USA if not the world.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on L98 Water Pump