C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

95 lt1 coolant temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:28 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Default 95 lt1 coolant temp sensor

Hi all, quick question. I replaced the water pump in my 95 last week, I reused the coolant temp sensor in the front of the water pump. Now the temp is showing 182 under normal operation, maybe gets up to 200 while at a stop light then right back down when I start to move. I replaced the radiator in June of 2015 with a stock type radiator ( not a high performance one) and the temps would stay at 194 then under normal operation. I replaced the thermostat yesterday thinking maybe the old one was bad. Could replacing the water pump cause the temps to fall like this or does it sound like the sensor is going south?
Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:33 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

How does a new water pump working better surprise you?
Old 10-21-2016, 10:02 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I think all is good.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:04 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Not that is working better, it just seems the temps are a bit low from what they had been over the past four years. Normal operation usually stayed in the mid 190's now it's in the low 180's. SHOULD a new pump lower temps by ten degrees?
Old 10-22-2016, 11:35 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggballz
Not that is working better, it just seems the temps are a bit low from what they had been over the past four years. Normal operation usually stayed in the mid 190's now it's in the low 180's. SHOULD a new pump lower temps by ten degrees?
Might be the weather as well, Id be content with that as it will start to rise soon enough.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:11 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

If you've replaced the t'stat with correct, you're confident in the CTS performance and you believe the system to be bled properly I believe you move on, enjoy and concentrate less on the constant monitoring of what seems to be a cooling system that's working.

How many miles since the water pump replacement? You did the pump and how many miles later the t'stat? You're confident in the bleed?
Old 10-23-2016, 01:20 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If you've replaced the t'stat with correct, you're confident in the CTS performance and you believe the system to be bled properly I believe you move on, enjoy and concentrate less on the constant monitoring of what seems to be a cooling system that's working.

How many miles since the water pump replacement? You did the pump and how many miles later the t'stat? You're confident in the bleed?
I confident the system is bled properly. It's been approximately 200 miles since pump replacement. It read 182 after replacement so I replaced the t stat thinking it was bad. Same result after.
The CTS, it's original, so I'll just keep an eye on the system and quit worrying so much. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:28 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggballz
Hi all, quick question. I replaced the water pump in my 95 last week, I reused the coolant temp sensor in the front of the water pump. Now the temp is showing 182 under normal operation, maybe gets up to 200 while at a stop light then right back down when I start to move. I replaced the radiator in June of 2015 with a stock type radiator ( not a high performance one) and the temps would stay at 194 then under normal operation. I replaced the thermostat yesterday thinking maybe the old one was bad. Could replacing the water pump cause the temps to fall like this or does it sound like the sensor is going south?
Thanks in advance for any insight.
I HAVE SAME THAN YOU. stock rad single row acdelco, recently replaced... That one with plastic tanks, and the temp is the same... It can reach max 236 F when stucked in trafic, over that Fan pull it down
Old 10-25-2016, 09:29 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

These temps are for hot season obviously

Get notified of new replies

To 95 lt1 coolant temp sensor

Quick Reply: 95 lt1 coolant temp sensor