C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

move the gear selector to Neutral without clutch engagement/high clutch grab point

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 10:19 PM
PEKlNGDUCKK
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default move the gear selector to Neutral without clutch engagement/high clutch grab point

Is this normal? I've noticed that my clutch grab point is very high. It engages at pretty much the highest point of depression. I also noticed that I'm able to move the shifter from 2nd or 3rd to neutral without any effort(all varying RPMS. I understand this is possible under an exact RPM, this is a different case). No grinding/popping sound. I've only tried this at low speeds and it was effortless.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2016, 11:50 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Does engine stall if in gear ay a stop with clutch released? The clutch engagement a top of travel could be indicating clutch disc is on it's way out. I would check it for wear. Depending on driver and gear box wear it is possible to drive clutchlesa to a point. Particularly if the driver has a lot of time driving the car, you kind of develop a "feel" for it.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:55 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

My clutch also grabs toward the top end of the pedal travel and it works fine, no slipping under full power and very smooth engagement. I understood this "high takeup" pedal position is normal due to the self-adjusting clutch hydraulics. Someone correct me if this is wrong.

And if there is any load (accel or decel), the gears should not easily disengage by pushing the lever toward neutral. Only with a "static" RPM (matched to the vehicle speed for the selected gear ratio) should the lever move in/out of gear without the clutch. You have only popped it out of gear "at low speeds"... would you say there was not much load when you did this?

Kevova's test could indicate the clutch is going out, but in my honest opinion, it's not good for the drivetrain to stall an engine by stopping in gear. I suggest you try going full throttle from 3000-4500 rpm (in 2nd or 3rd gear) and watch the tach -- this will put a good load on the clutch and you will know if it slips.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:49 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
My clutch also grabs toward the top end of the pedal travel and it works fine, no slipping under full power and very smooth engagement. I understood this "high takeup" pedal position is normal due to the self-adjusting clutch hydraulics. Someone correct me if this is wrong.

And if there is any load (accel or decel), the gears should not easily disengage by pushing the lever toward neutral. Only with a "static" RPM (matched to the vehicle speed for the selected gear ratio) should the lever move in/out of gear without the clutch. You have only popped it out of gear "at low speeds"... would you say there was not much load when you did this?

Kevova's test could indicate the clutch is going out, but in my honest opinion, it's not good for the drivetrain to stall an engine by stopping in gear. I suggest you try going full throttle from 3000-4500 rpm (in 2nd or 3rd gear) and watch the tach -- this will put a good load on the clutch and you will know if it slips.
What he said.

Get notified of new replies

To move the gear selector to Neutral without clutch engagement/high clutch grab point

Quick Reply: move the gear selector to Neutral without clutch engagement/high clutch grab point