C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'91 Corvette ignition switch stuck in running position. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 10:56 AM
JWylde101
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 Corvette ignition switch stuck in running position. Help!

So, I've had my Vette now for over 2 years and just a few months ago, this problem began. I turn the car on, but it feels weird when turning the key, like it's gummed up in the ignition switch and then it gets stuck in the running position and I cannot turn it off! Then the power locks, power windows, radio, and AC do not work. Also, my E-Brake light turns on, even if I never have engaged it and even if you put the car in other gears, the car does not move. Most importantly, the key cannot be moved to the off position. The only thing that has worked is literally over correcting the key at least 8 or 9 times which makes a terribly loud zap to my starter so I know this is causing damage to other parts of my car and then the switch finally loosens and I can turn the car off. I don't want to burn out my starter. I'm honestly not sure if it's just that my key needs to be cleaned or ignition switch needs to be cleaned, along with the keyhole or if the security system is being tripped and keeping the car running because the entire ignition switch gets stuck completely in the On position. I have literally looked everywhere, my repair manual, my owner's manual, YouTube, Google and I haven't found any answers to this specific issue. Any assistance with this issue is greatly appreciated. I'm really trying to avoid paying a huge costly repair and having to get both the ignition switch and key replaced, plus hundreds of dollars worth of labor if there is something I can do now to correct it or fix it myself. Thank you!

Last edited by JWylde101; 11-04-2016 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Noticed a typo
Old 11-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I had the same problem a few years ago on my 1989 C4 the lock was bad had a locksmith replace fixed the problem. A locksmith knows what they are doing he came to house replaced and gone in less than an hour. After watching him I would never try myself and I am a good mechanic.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:11 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by JWylde101
I'm honestly not sure if it's just that my key needs to be cleaned or ignition switch needs to be cleaned, along with the keyhole or if the security system is being tripped and keeping the car running because the entire ignition switch gets stuck completely in the On position.Any assistance with this issue is greatly appreciated. I'm really trying to avoid paying a huge costly repair and having to get both the ignition switch and key replaced, plus hundreds of dollars worth of labor if there is something I can do now to correct it or fix it myself. Thank you!
Your key tumbler is most likely gummed up. My guess is based on the fact that the system works but does not spring back around.

Take your time with this fix....

Disconnect the battery first.

Take WD40 and super thin coat your key, but not enough so that it drips.

Run your key, in and out of the tumbler a few times. You may have to recoat the key a couple of times.

After you run it in and out a few times, coat it again and now try turning it BACK to the accessory a few times. Once you have done this, you should feel it getting easier.

Now, go FORWARD with the key to start position and run stopping along the way several more times. Things shoudl begin to really loosen upa dn feel "normal"

The goal is to lightly (lightly) coat the tumbler keys and loosen them up. You don't want any drips of WD40 on the inside of the tumber, just coats.

If this does not work, you will have to get yourself a new tumbler.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:31 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If you can not physically turn the ignition switch to off you can WD40 all day and it will not help. You have a mechanical issue with the switch.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:26 PM
JWylde101
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you for your reply!

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Your key tumbler is most likely gummed up. My guess is based on the fact that the system works but does not spring back around.

Take your time with this fix....

Disconnect the battery first.

Take WD40 and super thin coat your key, but not enough so that it drips.

Run your key, in and out of the tumbler a few times. You may have to recoat the key a couple of times.

After you run it in and out a few times, coat it again and now try turning it BACK to the accessory a few times. Once you have done this, you should feel it getting easier.

Now, go FORWARD with the key to start position and run stopping along the way several more times. Things shoudl begin to really loosen upa dn feel "normal"

The goal is to lightly (lightly) coat the tumbler keys and loosen them up. You don't want any drips of WD40 on the inside of the tumber, just coats.

If this does not work, you will have to get yourself a new tumbler.
Thank you for your recommendation, although I have a watched a few videos now on adding WD40, and it seems like it would work. I will say though that the ignition switch gets very firmly stuck and it does truly feel like a mechanical issue so I fear that I will have to just replace the whole thing, but first I will attempt the WD-40 and go from there.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:38 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by JWylde101
Thank you for your recommendation, although I have a watched a few videos now on adding WD40, and it seems like it would work. I will say though that the ignition switch gets very firmly stuck and it does truly feel like a mechanical issue so I fear that I will have to just replace the whole thing, but first I will attempt the WD-40 and go from there.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:34 PM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To '91 Corvette ignition switch stuck in running position. Help!

Quick Reply: '91 Corvette ignition switch stuck in running position. Help!