C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil leak appeared suddenly, then disappeared

Old 11-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Dave8876
Heel & Toe

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oil leak appeared suddenly, then disappeared

My car is a 1992 LT1 Automatic and is stock.

It has been about 2 weeks since I drove the car last. In the 3 months of owning the car it has not leaked any fluids until now. I started it up today and let it run for about a minute before pulling out of the garage. I saw on the garage floor a small puddle of fresh oil and when I looked under the car oil was dripping fairly steadily from the area of the oil filter.

I drove the car about 15 miles and and the oil leak had gone from a fairly steady drip to just a couple drops after sitting and idling for about 5 minutes. I parked the car for about 4.5 hours and now it is not leaking at all. Even after driving about 10 miles and letting it run for a half hour.

Unfortunately I'm not able to lift the car up until tomorrow, but I did try to look at what I can while it's on the ground. The oil filter and the housing about it is wet with fresh oil. I at first though it might be the seal on the filter, but I am doubting this since the housing is wet too. It also looks like some oil is running down the bellhousing cover on the bottom of the transmission, but it does not look like it is coming from the rear main seal, as I can see the trail of oil outside the cover. The valve covers are dry and from what I can see and feel there is no oil leaking at the rear of the intake, but I don't have a mirror handy to see it better. Despite the fast initial leak, it has not lost any noticeable amount of oil after checking the dipstick.

What else would be above the oil filter that could leak suddenly then stop? From my understanding the oil pressure sending until is on the back of the intake (which I found and it is dry) and not above the oil filter like it is on a non-LT1 motor. Initially, I was thinking a rear main seal when I saw the puddle, but I don't see anyway it could leak to the area above the oil filter. Plus I don't see a rear main leak suddenly stopping.

Thanks for any help guys, I'm worried this leak will be difficult to find since it, at least for now, has stopped.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:00 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Some of these cars are fitted with oil filter adapters/coolers that might leak from the gasket. I don't know what would make it leak and then stop but it's certainly worth investigation. Be sure the car is solid and secure on good jack stands before you crawl underneath.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:16 PM
Dave8876
Heel & Toe

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Would these be stock? I didn't think the C4s came with an oil cooler. My car doesn't appear to have any mods done to it.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:25 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

The only C4s that came with factory oil coolers were the earlier C4s with the Z51 performance package. None of the LT1/LT4 cars have factory oil coolers but they were available aftermarket. It would be pretty obvious if yours has one or not. Look for lines running from the very base of the oil filter mount area. Google image search "1992 corvette LT1 oil cooler adapter."

Hope this helps you. I'd be puzzled by an intermittent oil leak too! Good luck.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:46 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

when did you have your last oil and filter change? as careful as i'm at cleaning the area, I sometimes get sometimes I get a drop or two right after the filter change, then it stops. most likely, because I install my filters full of oil. sometimes there's some residual around the gasket/flange that works it's way down to a drop. then again, yours sounds like more than a drop or two, so maybe you just need to check the filter for tightness - hand tight only - I do the standard 3/4 turn from gasket seat.

if the leak is a one time event, I personally wouldn't worry too much about it for right now. check the filter for tightness, and keep an eye on things and monitor your oil level. honestly though, the only way to investigate things, is to get under the car, clean things up a bit, and try to pinpoint the source, but as I said, if it's a one time event, don't worry too much about it.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:46 AM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you sure its the oil filter? I just fixed a leak on my 85 that was progressively worsening. I first thought is was the filter area, but it was the two prong pressure sensor on the back of the engine. In the end, it was gushing oil from the sensor electrical prongs. Oil leaking leaking from there was dripping down the left back of the engine and coating the oil filter area.

I would worry about it, my leak started small and then emptied all my oil out on the road at once, could easily have ruined my engine.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:01 PM
CorvetteRules
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

You have replied to a 7 year old thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leak appeared suddenly, then disappeared

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leak appeared suddenly, then disappeared