C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Crate Motors for the 1985 L98

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:32 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
What would it cost to rebuild your motor with the aluminum heads
I was quoted $5k for a rebuild.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:43 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by ejscarfo
I was quoted $5k for a rebuild.
Seriously? For 7 grand I can get way more.

http://hitechmotorsport.com/machine-shop/signature-crate-engines/gm-crate-engines/gm-small-block-crate-engines?page=shop.product_details&flypag e=flypage.tpl&product_id=42&category_id= 52
Old 12-01-2016, 02:00 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Seriously? For 7 grand I can get way more.

http://hitechmotorsport.com/machine-...category_id=52
Agreed, for $5500 I can get GM's Ram Jet 350 which is a stand alone motor and has like 350 HP. I think I would need to redo the gauges because I'd be canning the original ECM and harness but how much could that cost?
Old 12-01-2016, 04:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Agreed, for $5500 I can get GM's Ram Jet 350 which is a stand alone motor and has like 350 HP. I think I would need to redo the gauges because I'd be canning the original ECM and harness but how much could that cost?
Before we go there, have you run a compression test to see if there is any cylinder issue?
Old 12-01-2016, 06:19 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

The last time I ran a compression test, 8 years ago, the cylinders were within spec with not much variation. It has a bad exhaust valve or two now so I figure it's time for something new. I don't want to do valve with worn rings, etc at this point.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:21 PM
aklim
Team Owner

The last time I ran a compression test, 8 years ago, the cylinders were within spec with not much variation. It has a bad exhaust valve or two now so I figure it's time for something new. I don't want to do valve with worn rings, etc at this point.
I'd do a leak down test and see if there is a problem. If the valve is bad, it is a lot less than a new engine. OTOH, if the rings are bad, that is a different story
Old 12-01-2016, 10:01 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

It's not worth it IMO to just do valves or I would of swapped out the heads. There's a noisy wrist pin that annoys me too.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:49 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Here you go.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...sp04/overview/
Have a local shop do the heads and run all the sheet metal and manifold base through the parts washer. I would price out what it might cost to go this route just for a base line.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:09 AM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

You can rebuild your engine for far cheaper, and have a nice solid combination when done.

I would rebuild your factory engine, use the '91 D-ports and put a small cam in the car. This would be a nice, extremely fun combination in your '85 vette!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:57 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KSA Aaron
You can rebuild your engine for far cheaper, and have a nice solid combination when done.

I would rebuild your factory engine, use the '91 D-ports and put a small cam in the car. This would be a nice, extremely fun combination in your '85 vette!
He priced it out at $5000. I suspect they were dumping all kinds of expensive parts at it.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:37 PM
KSA Aaron
Racer

He priced it out at $5000. I suspect they were dumping all kinds of expensive parts at it.

Did you ask what the $5,000 rebuild included? I'm not sure what expensive parts they would have been thrown into a stock stroke 350ci engine.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:24 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

chevroletperformance. com has a number of options
goodwrench crate motor Jegs and Summit carry

5k gets you a basic no frills 383 all day its a matter of what to do with your 85 ecm or tuning few guys here know them well if its cost effective doable or not

GM does sell it in shortblock form so you can use your heads to bump up the compression some may as well sneak a small cam in watch the overlap with the 85 ecm.

Bet it outlasts about most crates out there
The "mine was cheap and happy...its bulletproof no problems" well report back in 30k, 50k mi not 3000
New 4 bolt main block
Using your heads will bump up compression some
Sneak a small flat tappet cam without aggressive lobes ought to play friendly with the 85 ecm and no worry about flat cams. I dont buy the oils that bad when you ask a FT cam to do a rollers job they just wear quick. That and many cores out there are just plain crap metal rollers arent exempt either. Stick with the little guys there are some older designs that run great and last forever. Get some good quality lifters they are only $40 more than the no name cheap stuff.

Last edited by cv67; 12-02-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:43 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Did you ask what the $5,000 rebuild included? I'm not sure what expensive parts they would have been thrown into a stock stroke 350ci engine.
The $5000 was labor costs and the rebuild costs (misc. parts, machining, etc.). I was supplying the big ticket parts. That was to rebuild my duplicate 85 block I had, add the 91 heads, intake and headers, remove the old motor and install the rebuilt motor into the car.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

The $5000 was labor costs and the rebuild costs (misc. parts, machining, etc.). I was supplying the big ticket parts. That was to rebuild my duplicate 85 block I had, add the 91 heads, intake and headers, remove the old motor and install the rebuilt motor into the car.
How much for the rebuild only? The rest you have to do anyway
Old 12-03-2016, 10:22 AM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Now I understand. This was for a turn key package. Basically most of the cost is labor. For some reason, I thought you were going to do the work to remove and install. The cost seems reasonable now.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:38 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Now I understand. This was for a turn key package. Basically most of the cost is labor. For some reason, I thought you were going to do the work to remove and install. The cost seems reasonable now.
And whatever motor you want to install is going to cost the labor
Old 12-03-2016, 10:46 AM
KSA Aaron
Racer

And whatever motor you want to install is going to cost the labor

No plans to do any of the labor yourself? If you are paying someone to do everything associated with an engine rebuild, it is likely to approach $10K. To me, an upside down proposition.

Get notified of new replies

To Crate Motors for the 1985 L98

Old 12-03-2016, 11:13 AM
aklim
Team Owner

No plans to do any of the labor yourself? If you are paying someone to do everything associated with an engine rebuild, it is likely to approach $10K. To me, an upside down proposition.
Might be more if he goes to the DIY route and doesn't know what he is doing.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:54 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

I already thought of that and there's no way that I am paying more than what my C4 is worth to get a new motor done. My wife is begging me not to sell the car but if I find a nice LT1 powered C4 for under $8k, its a done deal and I've already found 3 of them.

Might be more if he goes to the DIY route and doesn't know what he is doing.
I'm no stranger to engine builds and installs. I lost my garage and space thanks to a nasty divorce so in order to do this rebuild in the near future, I may have to farm it out. However, my father-in-law, who's also a car guy, he has classic Fords, has offered his assistance and the use of his garage, tools and lift so it looks like we might be doing the ATK short block someone recommended with my 91 heads. If I play my cards right, the whole build should be around $2k with me and my father-in-law doing the labor.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:54 AM
KSA Aaron
Racer

I already thought of that and there's no way that I am paying more than what my C4 is worth to get a new motor done. My wife is begging me not to sell the car but if I find a nice LT1 powered C4 for under $8k, its a done deal and I've already found 3 of them.

I'm no stranger to engine builds and installs. I lost my garage and space thanks to a nasty divorce so in order to do this rebuild in the near future, I may have to farm it out. However, my father-in-law, who's also a car guy, he has classic Fords, has offered his assistance and the use of his garage, tools and lift so it looks like we might be doing the ATK short block someone recommended with my 91 heads. If I play my cards right, the whole build should be around $2k with me and my father-in-law doing the labor.

I saw your comment about the wife begging you not to sell... and then the comment about a nasty divorce. Either your ex-wife has no say so in the matter, or you move quickly and are already remarried.

Nonetheless, if you have the skills supply your own labor. You can do a basic rebuild for cheap if basically reusing OEM parts and supplying your own labor.

And a rebuild can easily exceed the value of these old C4s....

Quick Reply: Crate Motors for the 1985 L98